The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Engine Swap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Pete

Probationary Member
Sep 18, 2011
fdsadmlpsf, Minnesota
Hey, looking for some DSM experts/lovers advice on a 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Engine Swap.

The current 1995 Eagle Talon has these issues...
  1. Rear bearing issues. (needs to be replaced to drive on highway)
  2. Oxygen Sensor near exhuast is faulty which causes extreme high idles in extreme heat and cold
  3. Frame is rusting from underneath due to MN's damn salty roads.
  4. Strut towers on frame are gonna rust off

So instead of trying to reinforce the old frame and towers and replace the almost non existent parts. I instead decided it would be easier to swap the current engine into another car with a nice frame. (and sounds way more fun haha)

now the current talon has 100k miles on it, but has a lot of parts replaced into it. pretty much i and many other deemed it a pretty good engine.

Now what it comes down to is, what car do i look for to replace the pretty good engine into to.

I understand the typical response will be, "the same model..." but i heard from some DSM enthusiastics awhile ago (year) the Mitsubishi eclipse 1995 is identical besides the hood and a few minor things..

Now im looking for a car with no engine really... or just a shot engine so i can buy it for under 1000$. and since i assume eclipses were more massed produced than talons i am guessing there are more out there.

So over all i need on advice on is...
What kinda of model can i swap my engine into? Just a 1995 Eclipse TSi? or any others?

thanks in advanced, cheers!

You can put your engine into any Eclipse GST or GSX or Talon Tsi or Tsi AWD from 1995-1999. A 97-99 turbo Eclipse or a 97-98 turbo Talon will require some wiring with the Cam Angle Sensor.

Take the car to a body shop and get a quote on getting those things fixed and then go from there on the price of another car and labor/downtime Vs. the price of getting your current one fixed correctly and having no hassle on pulling the engine and just dropping it right back in.

How bad is the rust? If its beyond repair then find another shell. I would try and find another 95-96 since it would be less of a hassle with wiring and all :D.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back