The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1992 eagle talon runs bad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19Collin92

Probationary Member
Jul 28, 2014
Roca, Nebraska
I need help with this thing to run right. First of all it takes about 5 or 6 cranks before it will start the engine then it will sit there and idle surge till the engine temperature goes normal then the idle sits at about 900 to a 1000 rpm steady. Second when I rev up the engine a little it just rolls black smoke like crazy and I was wondering what would do that and it is getting about 10mpg.

my first guess would be a fuel problem, with a stuck open injector (or two). can you give us any background/mods on the car ?

Well I just put new valves and all new belts in and the timing is spot on it runs just fine, besides the idle surge when it is warming up. It had bent valves for a long time and it was sitting for 4 or 5 years before I got it fixed right. I did fill it with new fuel also but it only gets 10 mpg which is terrible. No mods just a base model.

Last edited:
Sat 4 to 5 years...did you do an oil change as well, for that oil is probably all gone to varnish and sludge along with mixed in with water due to condensation.

If not, get it changed pronto with two quarts of dino, and a quart of ATF and give it a good flush out for 20 min on idle, then dump it and refill with new oil.

code 12 is the air flow sensor, code 13 intake air sensor,code 21 is engine coolant temp sensor, code 25 is the Barometric Pressure Sensor.

code 12 is in the maf, code 13 is again in the maf, also code 25 is located in the maf so something wrong with the maf or it's wiring definitely inspect it.
and code 21 being the coolant temp sensor.
So this could be two parts throwing the codes,or it could be the result of something else, I think you should start with both of these sensor, you should inspected and or test both of them.

I fixed it, and the funny thing is it was all in the ECU throwing false codes so I changed it to a old one that I had and now it has no codes and running like a champ.

don't throw that ecu out, open it up, take a picture of the circuit board, and let us know what it is ? it could be of use to us here. thanks in advance!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back