The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1990 oil filter relocation question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Since I have a 1990, I have an air oil cooler.. I want to do an oil filter relocation but since I have an oil cooler...

do I leave the lines and cooler in their stock location and keep them running out of the stock housing, or do I run the cooler after and out of the relocation kit like people without a stock one would, and plug the ports in the stock location...?

Thanks guys.

I explained that kind of confusing. I meant like..

Do I run the lines for the oil cooler out of the stock housing. And relocate after that

Or do I plug the stock location or run a different housing (91, etc) and rerun the lines through the relocation kit.

You could leave the stock cooler there, it cools oil after the oil has been filtered.

Why are you wanting to relocate specifically?

Im just gathering info -INCASE- my 3in v band o2 housing (1 piece tturbo back exhaust) hits the oil filter housing.

Can u explain a little more about your oil filter relocation? U mean get a forward facing oil filter or?

I was talking originally about using a relocation kit that incorporates the ports for an oil cooler on it and using them and plugging off the stock ports (since 1990s came with air oil coolers stock), Or using the stock ports and just getting a relocation kit for the oil housing (one that mates with the housing and you just run lines to a another remote mounting plate and can put it wherever you want)

Most of those relocation kits come with an aftermarket oil cooler though so I didn't know if it would yield better results feeding the cooler off the stock location or off the remote mount relocation plate like the kits use.

I would just get a generic relocation kit and keep the stock cooler personally. If you want to use an aftermarket setup, i recommend a FFOFH and a thermostatically controlled oil cooler setup with your relocation kit.

I'll have to look it up and check, unless you guys don't mind answering.. Is the stock cooler thermostat controlled?... And what are the banjo bolt sizes on the housing and cooler? I think I read they were m18 somewhere..

Also I have no balance shaft, and a precision dbb turbo. It's got a restrictor on it already also. Should I feed from the oil filter housing, or the head?

Last edited:
Most people like to feed from the filter as it is fresh clean oil. If u have no balance shafts have u ported out the OFH?

I'll be going with a forward facing filter for my hx35 setup. Oil cooler I believe is only needed if your really pushing the car like in road racing/auto x.

I'm not going to be doing any steady pushing, only drag other than regular drag runs... Maybe some late night mph runs on the highway but that would just be for test n tune purpose. Is a cooler even needed? Or should i just go forward facing?

I put one on my car, but i probabaly didn't need it.

Really only needed in a auto-x or road racong prolly, or if you hotlap constantly. On my next motor I may actually remove mine but it's worked fine so far, this next summer will be the real test.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back