The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1990 GVR4 rear subframe: does it work on 1992 Eagle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsid

Supporting VIP
Apr 26, 2006
Calgary, AB_Canada
I found a Galant 1990 VR4 in the junkyard with a very rear clean subframe but I am not sure if it fit my 1992 Eagle. This VR4 still has the transmission and the rear differential.
Does this subframe fits my 1992 Eagle? how about the differential and transmission?

Last edited:
Could anyone please help? These parts won't last and I would really appreciate if anyone can confirm the parts compatibility between the Galant VR4 and the 1992 Talon.

They are different but in ways you might not be considering.

The GVR4 has rear steering with it's rack and hoses that are not used on the DSM.
The GVR4 has 4 bolt wheel hubs (4 x 114.3mm) where the DSM used 5 bolt hubs (5 x 114.3mm).
The GVR4 uses the same style Differential/Axle as the 1GA DSM, not the stronger four bolt combo you have on the 92.
The GVR4 isn't likely to have ABS if your 92 does. The sensors mount in the trailing arms.
The GVR4 rear suspension crossmember should be the same, IIRC. Check CAPS/ASA.

The GVR4 transmission and transfer case are going again be early DSM style parts not the same as what was in the 92's. So trans to transfer case splines, axle splines, and internals are different and not 100% interchangeable with the 92.

They are different but in ways you might not be considering.

The GVR4 has rear steering with it's rack and hoses that are not used on the DSM.
The GVR4 has 4 bolt wheel hubs (4 x 114.3mm) where the DSM used 5 bolt hubs (5 x 114.3mm).
The GVR4 uses the same style Differential/Axle as the 1GA DSM, not the stronger four bolt combo you have on the 92.
The GVR4 isn't likely to have ABS if your 92 does. The sensors mount in the trailing arms.
The GVR4 rear suspension crossmember should be the same, IIRC. Check CAPS/ASA.

The GVR4 transmission and transfer case are going again be early DSM style parts not the same as what was in the 92's. So trans to transfer case splines, axle splines, and internals are different and not 100% interchangeable with the 92.

Thanks a lot Steve.

If it's a GGSX and not a vr4, it will have 2.864 final drives as well. On the ABS note, my GGSX did have abs, and it is a 90.
Did you swap the diff/trans? Might be interested in buying them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back