The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1990 gauge cluster in a 92?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinite_kaos

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Victorville, California
So I've been trying to figure out why my tach doesn't work, I pulled the gauge cluster out and did a google search for the part number (MB522142) and its pretty inconclusive, basically showing for 90-94.

Upon doing searches here in the forums, I've found that 90 gauge clusters speedometer is read in increments of 5 (i.e. 5,15,25,35) and the 91-94 are in 10's (i.e. 10,20,30,40)

My cluster indicates that its from a 90 based on the speedo.
Now on to my question, is it at all possible to get the tach to work on this cluster considering its a 90 cluster and my car is a 92. I really don't like driving without knowing what my engine speed is, I'm able to see it on the translator, but its difficult to drive and look at the little lcd constantly.

I'm in a monetary bind at the moment, so recomendations of purchasing the correct cluster are unnecessary. I'm looking more for a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, I`ve had many different DSMs and never noticed the differences in the speedo. I had to compare my `90 Talon and my`92 Laser.

I come up with these part numbers:
MB832257-`92 speedometer
MB562683-`90 speedometer
MB562687-`90 tachometer
MB832260-`92 tachometer

The ignition system on a 90 is different than a 91-94 and so is the tach. The part numbers you have might be wrong. Does the tach work at all?

Now on to my question, is it at all possible to get the tach to work on this cluster considering its a 90 cluster and my car is a 92.

Not easily, they don't like what happens to the signal with a 91+ ECU attached and may not like what the 91+ power transistor generates.

So your choices are install a 90 tach adaptor, 90 noise filter and connect them to the gauge or replace the cluster. Or you could figure out why the tach gauge doesn't like the 91+ parts. I've never had the parts to look into the problem.

Tach doesn't work at all, when I got the car the tacj wire to the ecu was spliced into and had a red wire leading to the engine bay but was not connected to anything.

I'm finding a lot of hidden little secrets in this car LOL, just the other night I found that I have a 255lph fuel pump and no means of regulating, which would explain my running rich problem.

I'm not a very electrical person, more mechanical, so trying to figure out the required signal to make it work may be a life long project for me LOL.

I may have to go tachless until I'm able to get the correct cluster :(

Does anybody know if a non turbo gauge cluster would work from a 91-94? I know I won't have the stock boost gauge but I don't care about that since I have an aftermarket one.

I'm at the junkyard now and there's a non turbo cluster from a 91 here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back