The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 1990 Eclipse Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demechees

Probationary Member
Sep 27, 2015
Norfolk, Virginia
I bought a 1990 Eclipse cheap the post said broke timing belt, but when I picked it up from a gas station, the guy said they put a new engine in it and that he didn't think it was the belt and he showed me the bill of sale for the work done on the car. He stated that the car had sat for five years and he had no time to t/s it and the owner said he had to get rid of it. I put a new battery, plugs/wires, air filter. It turns over but does not start. After doing research in not 100% sure what engine is in it right now. Because it doesn't look like the 1990 eclipse engine. I check the ECU and it looks fine, I have no spark, and also checked the coil. No joy. So I thought maybe they put a different year engine in it and didn't change all the necessary parts. Please help I have attached pic of the engine. I know this is a big newbie question, but I need to pick a direction to go. So knowing the correct engine year, model , etc seems important. Thank in advance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks enough like the right engine to me.

Have a look through these to help you figure out what to look for going forward. The first will help you figure out why the car is not starting and provide testing procedures for different components. The second will help you recognize whether you have the correct components for a '90 car by checking the harness connectors for those components:
How To Diagnose A No-Start
The 1990 Engine Control Wiring Harness

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back