The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1990 Eclipse GSX specs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
I know how to use the search function, yet i cant seem to find the answer for my specific question. does anybody know if the 1990 GSX came with the 6 bolt/4 bolt combo, or what did it come with? if it does have the 6/4 combo i may purchase one. any pointers on what to look for? ive never owned a 1G and dont know much about the whole ABS instead of LSD option on those. sorry for the stupid questions but i just dont know and cant seem to find the correct answers in any other thread. thanks.

Ok the only cars that came with the 6/4 combo were early 92 models(like mine :D ) and from 90-91 you could either have abs or lsd (not both) and in 92 on you could have both (like mine). An easy way to see if it has lsd is to just look in the drivers side door jamb for the orange warning label

Don't back out of the purchase due solely to the absence of a 4 bolt. Those are easy to find. :thumb:

The LSD is worth a lot more to you than that retarded ABS system. It's a real piece of crap and only gets in the way of pushing your brakes to their true limit.

ben90tsi said:
Ok the only cars that came with the 6/4 combo were early 92 models(like mine :D ) and from 90-91 you could either have abs or lsd (not both) and in 92 on you could have both (like mine). An easy way to see if it has lsd is to just look in the drivers side door jamb for the orange warning label

Only the 90 model was the LSD or ABS exclusivity deal, as they worked out the bugs. I've owned a couple 91 awd with lsd and abs.

'90 GSX came with the following:

- 6 bolt motor :thumb:
- 3 bolt rear end :thumbdown (but 4 bolts easy to find and usually affordable :thumb: )
- LSD :thumb: OR ABS :thumbdown
- External oil cooler :thumb:
- Different ECU (not sure about Eprom availability in '90 ECU's)
- Different shifter assembly (not big deal)
- Different gauge cluster (MPH reads in 5mph increments, '91+ reads in 10mph increments)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head at 5am. :(

Here this is straight from the 1000vfaq site-

What are the differences between a [model year] and a [model year]?
There are many differences, both major and minor, between various model years. To date, no comprehensive list exists which details all of the changes; to list them all is beyond the scope of this FAQ. A few of the high points are:

Inagural model year of the DSM.
Pop-up headlights.
Some high-end models had wheel covers.
All ECUs had EPROMs.
Front brakes change during the model year.
1.8L models have the 4G37 engine, all others have the 4G63 engine.

ECU changes mean that 1991+ ECUs don't operate the 1990 tachometer correctly.
Most ECUs had EPROMs.
First model year with ABS available. ABS not available with limited-slip differential (LSD).
All high-end models had alloy or mesh wheels.
First year of the Galant VR-4 - 2000 sold in the American market.

Non-popup headlights introduced on all models.
The first AWD Lasers were introduced.
Few (or no) ECUs have EPROMs.
ABS now available with LSD.
The engine changes from the 6-bolt version to the 7-bolt version in April.
Second and final year of the Galant VR-4 - 1000 sold in the American market.
The last year of the Dodge 2000GTX.

"Big brake" 2-piston front calipers become standard on turbo models.
7-bolt engines are now standard.
No ECUs have EPROMs.
Diamond-Star Motors ceases to exist.

All cars built to California emissions standards - there are no "Federal" cars.
The last year of the 1G car and the 1.8L NT models.
The last year of the Plymouth Laser.

ben90tsi said:
Here this is straight from the 1000vfaq site-

Non-popup headlights introduced on all models.
The first AWD Lasers were introduced.
Few (or no) ECUs have EPROMs.
ABS now available with LSD.
The engine changes from the 6-bolt version to the 7-bolt version in April.
Second and final year of the Galant VR-4 - 1000 sold in the American market.
The last year of the Dodge 2000GTX.

The statement about the 6 bolt/7 bolt switch is hard to decipher (*spelling*). While that is about the right time of the switch, there has never been any sure certainty about the actual date. I personally believe the switch actually happened more around late May/early June of '92 (easy for me to say, I own a '92 produced in early May with a stock 6 bolt ;) ).

Yeah im not sure on that one either. But ive heard after april there were still some "odd balls" so to say, that left the production line with 6 bolts. If that is true then your car would be one of the rarest of the rare. :thumb:

My buddy Joe has a '92 AWD laser, produced in early May with a 6 bolt as well. That would make probably 5 people total here in Washington that I know of with the '92 total package. Kinda goes to show how hard it truly is to find.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back