The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

General 16g turbo swap now cars running very lean

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboSpider

Proven Member
Nov 2, 2015
York, Pennsylvania
I just completed my small 16g turbo swap. I added 1200cc injectors, aftermarket AFPR, Walboro 255 and rewired fuel pump, CXracing FMIC, megan racing downpipe, ported o2 housing to match downpipe. I am running speed density with the IAT sensor mounted on the throttle body elbow. I set the fuel pressure to 42.5 with the vacuum line unplugged and the car idling. I went into DSM link and put in 1200 CC injectors and it calculated the dead time and global and I set it to what it recommended. My issue is that the car will start up and run for a few seconds and then die. It seems like its not idling correctly when it is running. My LC2 gauge is showing 22.3. If I unplug the vacuum line from the AFPR the air/fuel mixture goes down to 10. something and the car will actually idle and stay running but wont rev up, I guess because the vacuum is disconnected.

Let me tell you how I ran my vacuum lines when I did the swap because I am not quite sure I did it right. I have read lots of posts on here but none of them detailed where the vacuum lines went. I ran a large hose from the intercooler pipe (right below j pipe there is a larger nipple) The nipple is larger then a vacuum line so I used a 90 degree elbow fitting that fit over and put a small rubber hose into the elbow and ran that to a T. One end of the T goes to the wastegate. The other goes to the boost control solenoid. I was able to rev the car up and hear it build boost and blow off like it should so I think everything is ok here.

For the FPR, I disconnected the old FPR and connected the vacuum line that went to the old FPR to the new FPR. I even did try bypassing the fuel pressure solenoid by unplugging the vac hoses from that and just running a line from the intake to the FPR itself. It made no difference in idle.

I replaced all turbo and manifold gaskets with new ones. Everything is tight. Intercooler piping is tight. I did not do a BLT, I will when I get home.

I did disconnect the battery when I was doing the fuel upgrades but I don't think i Have to recalibrate the LC2 wideband sensor, I thought it stored it when the battery was removed. Any suggestions what may be causing this very lean idle?

i had the car running speed density with the stock turbo. When i changed to the 16 g I didn;t change the speed density tables. I dont know how too. I downloaded the table that was there for the stock turbo and it worked pretty good for the t25. I hooked back up the mass air flow sensor and left the iat and map sensor hooked up and changed dsm link to stock maf. That got the car to idle but its idling around 15-16 and sometime higher or lower. Wide band is all over the place. I took the car for a drive and it built up 15 psi of boost and pulled but not very hard. When it first starts with maf hooked up it goes lean and I sometimes have to rev it slightly to keep it running. Once it idles for awhile it starts going between 14-18 or so on the wideband gauge. If I rev it, it seems to go lean when I let off the gas and then takes awhile for the af to drop back down. I did spray carb cleaner around the vac lines and didn't find any leaks that I could tell. Intercooler piping seems tight. I do have one log, its basically an idle log though with me reving it

Sounds like he went back to MAF instead of SD. Did you unplug your IAT sensor? The MAF has one built in and yours pre-throttle body will not give the same reading since it is post turbo.

BLT and if it is all good, find someone to help you tune you SD tables.

So to update, it ran good on MAF. I tried switching back to SD. It idles horrible on SD. Scott Laird is helping me with tuning. I am currently fixing several boost leaks and am going to rebuild throttle body as I am not sure if the seals were leaking there or not. I am using the ECM link harness which basically plugs into the MAF plug and then splits to go to IAT and MAP. I am going to be removing the emissions crap and bypassing the EGR valve. I found once of the EGR valve vac lines was off after I removed the Throttle body.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back