The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

16g Turbo CXRacing Ebay What did you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough

Proven Member
Nov 12, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I wasn't looking for turbo's but this popped up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-ECLIP...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a2aeb531&vxp=mtr

brand new 16g turbo for 200$

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I can't find it in me to use ebay stuff for stuff like this, but for 200$ maybe someone who doesn't mind might want one, it said it had more then 10 left.

Anyone use this? How long did it last, what problems have you had? Pros and Cons? What's the difference between this and a name brand 16g?

Don't use ebay turbos. They are complete junk most of fail rather quickly. Why destroy your motor over saving a 100 dollars vs a good used or rebuilt real Mhi turbo from our classifieds. Just search ebay turbos as this has been :beatentodeath:. Why do people still chance it with ebay turbos:idontknow:.

I won't chance my baby to ebay junk :D I was just astounded at the price difference! I'm curious to what makes them fail so quickly, is it the casting or internal parts?

The internals are junk. They seem cheap, until you realize you spent a couple hundred on a turbo that stops working after a short period of time. Turbos are certainly a "get what you pay for item". There are a tons of threads if you search this site for ebay turbos.

There are tons of threads, but most are flame threads with very little useful information. Now with the classifieds being searched as well, finding information is even harder! I will not use ebay stuff that can blow my engine.

SO If i have a 16g with a cracked housing, would this ebay junk housing be decent enough to swap on my name brand 16g with good internals but a cracked housing?

If I was to purchase quality internals and rebuild the turbo would that possibly fix the flaws? So other words is the casting of decent quality?

*note i'm not buying this junk* I'm hypothetically thinking, more or less about making money :) "

I run a dreaded awful evil cx racing 20g snail.. . And it works just fine. Ok I will agree it's probably not gona last 200k miles but it's been doing just fine. I can get a full 19lbs at just 3900rpm. It has about 4k miles on it now. It did take some work to get the actuator to fit right I had to put a small bend in the rod but other than that it fit great. It's seen as high as 24lbs, I've seen the exhaust side glowing red hot and it just keeps on boosting. It came with its own certificate signed and matching serial numbers, with a little graph of the computer balancing on it.

I would recommend getting some of ARPs stainless turbo bolts. Worth every penny and won't ever break. and the gaskets weren't the best quality.

I've had 2 of them. The first china 16g came on a parts car with a big chunck of seld slag from the cheap header locking up the turbine. I ran the piss out of it. I ran 25psi the entire time I had it, but it never made good numbers I went like 107mph with it in a 3300lb AWD. The rest of the setup wasn;t great either.

Next one was a new one I bought for $50. It was on my ddggsx and never had about 7psi, and rarley got boosted. It lasted a few months and shit the bed.

A 16g just popped up today on the classifieds ------> http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/mhi-small-16g.485782/

Steer clear of ebay turbos. An ebay turbo came on the Cow Car in my avatar and I used it for a month or two. Seemed all right but I got a 14b on there asap. Some people say the ebay turbos are fine for stock boost, but it's probably not worth the risk.

Sold before I even read your message :)

All these turbo's i'm seeing are made here in the USA or they have been imported and someone is just flipping them here,

Bummer. Yeah, the used 16g turbos go quick (pun intended).

Just keep an eye on the classifieds and if you find one Craigslist, post up the ad here and we can verify it's real.

The stamping should tell if it's real or not?
I have a page bookmarked that has all the serials.

It's time for me to upgrade, and I'm sure the 16g is the way to go for me.

350 wasn't a bad price! Have to keep my eye open!

Were 16g's a stock option on any manufactured vehicle?[DOUBLEPOST=1412605094][/DOUBLEPOST]I live in Indy, so I just found
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/4649468190.html

But it's a big 16g for 300, think I want the s16g for quicker spool.....[DOUBLEPOST=1412605157][/DOUBLEPOST]and then this guy a evo 16g which i'm liking https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/4637419969.html[DOUBLEPOST=1412605283][/DOUBLEPOST]Looks like there both B 16's :/

Last edited:
That does sound pretty nice!
Why did you just slap it on without any mods? Just for sh1ts and giggles?

Wish I had money like that hehe!

I used that same turbo, burned oil right from the start and the waste gate is angled weird so it never opens fully causing boost creep. 350 get yourself a good used mhi.

Another popped up today -> http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/real-mhi-big-16g-turbo.485903/

It's a "big" 16g which is considered the least desirable of the three standard 16g turbos, but is a great upgrade from the T25 regardless of what ppl say. For a street car that's used for daily driving, it's an ideal setup.

This may already have been covered, but you will need an adapter kit to make any MHI turbo work on a 2g. The T25 was not a Mitsubishi product, so the oil and coolant lines are different.

T25 is a greddy product ?

That's what I thought Jusmx141, when it said only 350.. That's nothing I've read about the T-28...

Seems like 300ish is the going rate for the B16!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the B16g takes longer to spool, but gives more over all power.
The S16g spools faster, and makes as much power?
Not sure what the 3rd 16g is, is that the MHI EVO one?

The evo3 16g is probably the most sought after.
T25 is a garrett,btw.
As stated a billion times above, ebay turbos are hit and miss. I would say 90% miss. Some have had luck, sure, but the vast majority blow oil past the seal immediately or run in to problems within a few hundred miles.
16g's pop up everyday on here, you can find something for a low price thats reliable and makes enough power for your needs.

Keep in mind again, I will not be using any ebay junk powering my motor :)
I'm simply looking into why they are so cheap and cause of failure.

Are these now made in the USA or is someone importing them?

So far it seems "besides a slag issue" That most have seal issues, or shaft issues which could be repaired with
a quality rebuild kit.

I wonder if anyone has seen 20k miles out of one of these..
Or rebuilt one.

These items are built in China and sold in bulk to mainly to individuals listing on ebay from the west coast. The more you buy, the cheaper they are.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back