The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

14b stock boost capablities

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmo123

5+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2018
Danville, Kentucky
I know. This question has been asked over and over. Just asking now because information seems scattered and inaccurate.

What can a 14b push on a stockf fuel system? I will be pushing 15lbs with my new wastegate in my gst auto fuel system.

How long will this last? I plan on ordering a 255 and FPR. I do NOT have dsmlink or any data logger. Broke bois.

15 PSI is possible on the stock fuel system. However, you will start getting close to hitting fuel cut at that point. Honestly, upgrading the fuel pump and FPR is not going to do anything for you without upgrading the injectors. At that point, you will need to have a method to tune the car.

IMHO... just leave the car stock and drive it until you have more funds to "turn up" the car.

15 PSI is possible on the stock fuel system. However, you will start getting close to hitting fuel cut at that point. Honestly, upgrading the fuel pump and FPR is not going to do anything for you without upgrading the injectors. At that point, you will need to have a method to tune the car.

IMHO... just leave the car stock and drive it until you have more funds to "turn up" the car.
All the engine maintenance is complete (rebuilt head, all sensors replaced, no boost leaks, pretty much everything you can think of). I have a bsfab side exit and a tial wastegate ready to be put on. I dont really daily the car, just go to meets. Itll be a while before I can get link, I think im just going to send it for now.

Last edited:
Do it right or don't do it at all. OR do it wrong and face the consequences LOL

I think im just going to send it for now.

Go ahead and send it.

Just don't be talking about how DSMs are unreliable junk in your for sale ad, mkay?

Typical car idiot, wants boost first then fuel, wrong, get the fuel first then add the boost. Man this just rubs me the wrong way.
Thats not typical car idiot. Its 18 year old out of highschool learning about this. I understand how important fuel is. Ive blown up the engine once and rebuilt it already.

I got hooked up and got a bsfab side exit and a tial wastegate for not that much. I dont have the money for link to manage fuel. Id go upgrade injectors right now if it wasnt going to be a minimum of $1000 after the fact.

I simply asked what the capabilities of the stock fuel system are. Quite a few people say it handles 15lbs fine, others not.

Don't have to come on here being an ass, I dont daily the car and definitely dont abuse my car. All the maintenance is complete and I was curious how capable the stock system was. I have every right to push my car to its limits, I asked how reliable it was and if it blows up that's on me to fix.

Some people can run 15 psi and some can't. There are multiple factors that can play into it. However, that is right on the edge of what it will handle if at all IMHO. I think what everyone is trying to say it that it just makes more sense to run the stock boost pressure until the rest of the supporting mods can be bought. There will not be that much difference between stock and 15 psi really so why risk it? The attitude of "just send it" is what will bring negative comments your way. Drive the car at stock levels and enjoy it until you can get the rest of the parts you need.

Even if it is not your daily, there is no reason to waste money having to fix unnecessary issues if things go wrong.

Its probably doable, your gonna heatsink the stock sidemount most likely. Grab sum evo 550s, a 190, and a 2g maf, plus sumthin to at least base tune you and you might be good.I'd also suggest a 5spd manifold, or a 2g manifold, because the 13g manifold is super small.
My1gdsm does remote tuned chips for Eprom ecus, maybe look 8 to him or dsmlink.

I ran a stock laser for years with 3" exhaust, hacked maf, walbro 255 and stock everything else.
It ran like a scalded dog, boost crept to 18psi and never gave an issue.

Would I do it again? Not without a wb o2 setup.

My1gdsm does remote tuned chips for Eprom ecus, maybe look 8 to him or dsmlink.[/QUOTE]
If I could get ahold of that guy, first I'd ask for the money he took of mine before he fell off the face of the earth!!! Stacey hasn't been heard of for almost 5 years, but I would sure like to talk to him........

Its probably doable, your gonna heatsink the stock sidemount most likely. Grab sum evo 550s, a 190, and a 2g maf, plus sumthin to at least base tune you and you might be good.I'd also suggest a 5spd manifold, or a 2g manifold, because the 13g manifold is super small.
My1gdsm does remote tuned chips for Eprom ecus, maybe look 8 to him or dsmlink.
This is your best bet^^ I had a lot of fun on my 14b laser with a walbro 190 and stock injectors. I had upgraded exhaust as well as intake pipe and intercooler piping with a Dejon Tool SMIC. I think I ran 14-18psi. I'd say 15psi is the max you could run on a 14b stock fuel system. If you lived near me I'd just give you the damn walbro 255. There's no money to be made selling used walbro 255s.

Alright, you guys win. I bit the bullet and bought DSMLink yesterday. I am getting a walboro 450 and going to get some injectors, might go e85 while I am at it. I don't want to reputation of some kiddo trying to get power without paying to play. I get that, I'm not looking for anything insane and this post was more posed as a question. The car is on 15lbs of wastegate pressure but I have a 12lb spring coming in. Thanks for the help everyone.

The Walbro 450 has given some problems in sealing in the tank. CONSIDER maybe an Aeromotive Stealth 340. It is E85 compatible and a drop in upgrade. Just something to consider.

Alright, you guys win. I bit the bullet and bought DSMLink yesterday. I am getting a walboro 450 and going to get some injectors, might go e85 while I am at it. I don't want to reputation of some kiddo trying to get power without paying to play. I get that, I'm not looking for anything insane and this post was more posed as a question. The car is on 15lbs of wastegate pressure but I have a 12lb spring coming in. Thanks for the help everyone.

You will be much happier in the end once everything is setup correctly. DSMLink is something you can use for anything in the future if you decide to increase power later down the road (everyone always does LOL)

You will be much happier in the end once everything is setup correctly. DSMLink is something you can use for anything in the future if you decide to increase power later down the road (everyone always does LOL)
Yeah pretty excited. Apparently the 450 doesnt seal? Is there a technique to make it?

Yeah pretty excited. Apparently the 450 doesnt seal? Is there a technique to make it?

There was a post about using a Toyota seal or something of the sort if it won't hold fuel pressure. I don't remember the title of the thread but it was about a month ago I think.

^^THAT
That was my solution when the problem was posed. I did the same thing with my 255.
Thanks for the picture Erik. The guys were having problems with the orings sealing in the "bell".
Picture is worth 1000 words so I'm done. :) :thumb:

For others who may potentially happen upon this thread, the limitation of the stock fuel system is around 27-28 lb/min of airflow from the turbo. Doesn't matter WHAT turbo, that's as good as it gets. No matter how big of a turbo you buy or how much boost you run, you're making the same amount of power on stock fuel so you may as well keep the turbo as small as you can and enjoy some streetable power.

If you're still on the stock, unmodified ECU, the ECU itself will tell you when enough is enough with fuel cut if you ignore all the other signs like the obvious timing pull just before fuel cut happens. So don't gamble without a tuning platform, if you're shooting for anything above what stock parts and bolt-ons like intake and exhaust can do for you just buy a tuning platform and learn how to use it or pay for a remote tune.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back