The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

10 sec. goal, steps to that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserspeeddemon

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 26, 2002
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Hello fellow DSMers.

Ok here is my goal for my DSM, some one give me input on if its possible;

10 sec. 1/4 mile
Streetable
...............thats about it.

I took out the back seats(seatbelts too)already so I'm doing all the free stuff I can. I did the free mods too. What is my next step. I also what it to be a driving car as I work on it. So help me out here?

Thanks IA
Kalani

I hope your wallet is extremely deep and you have a daily driver.

there are streetable 10 second cars? OMG i swear its all myths and fables... cuz no 10 second car can pass emissions! i might be wrong but hrmmm.

Originally posted by EvolvingGST
there are streetable 10 second cars? OMG i swear its all myths and fables... cuz no 10 second car can pass emissions! i might be wrong but hrmmm.
What is emissions? Must suck to live in an area that requires that.

It’s still dumb to think that a 10 sec car can be a daily driver. If you have enough money to build a 10 sec car (aprox 15k+) then you should have enough money to buy another car when your race car breaks. 10s are very difficult in a DSM it requires a pretty big turbo and a good deal of reduction even after that you probably need nitrous.

its true i have to buy inspection stickers ;_; im glad, im of a minority ^^;

I seriously doubt you'll be able to drive your car while you work on it if 10 second passes is your goal. You'll likely have to pull the motor and rebuild the head and bottom end to handle the power. 550hp is not a bolt-on affair. You'll also need a drivetrain that can support that power, because the stock tranny/transfer case/rear end will have some trouble. Getting all the parts you install to work together correctly is the toughest part of the process. If you're not good at fuel tuning, you may need access to a shop that can do it for you.

Also, do you have a track nearby for practice? You'll need a ton of it. Good luck. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's somewhat of an unreal expectation - especially to have no down time in the process.

I would have to know what you have on your dsm first. My care is almost where you want to be. I have spend $25,000 on my car to get it to a 10 sec. car. It takes a lot of time, money, and someone who knows what they are doing. Send me a list of your mods and I will give more indepth things to do.

Not to be mean or anything, but why does everyone want a 10 second daily driven street car. Aim for something more feasible, like 12s. Once you realize that it isn't that cheap to get low 12s, then think about your 10 second goal, remember its faster to make a stock 14 second car drop to a 12 second car, than it is for a 12 second car to make run 10s.

Originally posted by DMS-WhiteGSX
remember its faster to make a stock 14 second car drop to a 12 second car, than it is for a 12 second car to make run 10s.

AGREE! To make that first 50-100 extra hp is easy to make that rest is a real fight.

Lotsa people trying to make there stock cars into 10 sec streetable racers. If you have the money to buy it all at once i'd say it would be an OK question, if not you gotta take it one mod at a time like the rest of us.

I expect to take it one mod at a time, as for now I have NO mods (cept free ones) on it. I also have 3 other cars. and NO kids. so its not like it can't stay down for a while. I am being realistic about this. It just what I wanna do......thats why I asked for help! If it can't be done then I will do all I can to get it as close to there as possible, before making it unstreetable. Thats why I asked for a step by step basis

thats funny a stock car into a 10 step by step hu? I say 2-4years just to tunne/build the car then you need to learn how to drive the beast down the 1320 to make the 10sec pass happen, I say no way shoot for low 14s and be happy. I only know of one guy theat runs 9.66@148mph now that drives his car to work 3days a week, to the track and down it with now alterations, he made 600+whp first dyno run and it was the cars last, he has run DSMs from 1994/95(i think?) good luck if you want to do it and I say about $25,000 if you turn your own renches, if you have a shop do it look for $30-35,000. I have $15,000 into my car and dont run a 10's. To much "Riced and the Ridicules" going on here

Well to be driveble don't plan on being to much fun.

I only say that because of the size of the turbo needed to create the HP to get you into the 10's....or 550whp.

Is pretty big. - You want drivable... so don't spray. as you'll run out eventually.

Anycase - first steps.... (wish I'd done it)

Is build the motor.... Cost of about $2500-$3000 (1G) - that's everthing
including machine work balancing and what have you. (price's will change)

After that - (assuming you have all the intake, downpipe, exhaust, spark plugs, spark plug wires, boost controller, Gauges, BOV - already ie:basics)

You'll have to do the fuel System:
Injectors
Fuel Rail
Intake Manifold
Fuel Pump
Some sort of Fuel Managment (dsm link,SAFC, etc)

Then it's time for the set up:
turbo
Waiste Gate
FMIC
I/C piping

Plus with a 10Sec daily driver you won't want to just go fast your going to need to stop fast also...

So figure on brake upgrades (BAER)
Pads
SS Lines all around.

Handling:
Polyurothane all around
Sway Bars
Strut Bars
Suspension
Rims/Tires

I know I've missed a lot but anycase.
I think I figured it out one day came to
about

$21,000 with out Labor
But that's if I'm remembering correctly so don't hold me to it.

-Brian

I think a lot of this is seriously from that movie. People heard that a 10 second car is "fast" so they want one. Not to say you're not serious about it LaserSpeedDemon, and others who might be (I don't know you). But a lot of people just have no clue as to what kind of expenses and time and work they're looking at.

It seems to me that when I talk to "regular" people about how fast these cars can go, I tell them people get to 12 second quartermiles without huge amounts of work or money (not to belittle, but it's not _huge_ amounts) and they're all like "Oh, if you step on it then you can get to 10's, like in the movie"

They just seem to think that since you can go 12's, 10 is only 2 seconds away, and 2 seconds is equivalent to no seconds.

-Jesse

Originally posted by robvas
Go to Buschur's web site and just follow that list.

They ran 10.54 @ 133.25, so figure with an interior you'd run high 10's @ 130mph
That's somewhat misleading... you're telling this guy that because Buschur Racing was able to run a mid 10 with their shop car that he can expect to run a high ten if he takes out his interior? I don't know about you, but I doubt I'll ever be able to run what the pro shops run with their cars - at least not without the sponsorship and help of those pro shops. You gotta post real world numbers - meaning the guy next door with the unsponsored car who isn't a mechanic - tell me what he runs. If several "normal enthusiasts" have run those numbers, I'd feel confident that others could do it too. Most everyone in here probably couldn't even run 10's even driving Buschur's shop car.

Not saying it isn't possible, or that you shouldn't try it, but it's not that easy to do.

Speaking of driving, Have some of you ever been to a drag race? Have you seen even an 11 sec car get squirrly down the track? That wall gets real close, real quick. I can tell you that just punching it will get you seriously injured or killed. Please, If you can tell me one driver, any driver in any car that hasn't gone through some kind of stages in his driving career, to get where he/she is today. Driving is probaly the most important part of racing!

Wow that alot of input, I'll try to respond to everyones reply, and if I offend you, I apologize greatly. I'm not here to start fights or make enemies.....more like get help, help others, and make friends in a car and intrest we all share.

GalantVR41062: Buschur spent only $10,000 on the parts on their car. I do all my work on all my cars. I always have, and I'm still learning. I install clucthes, fix stuck pop-lights, replace struts/springs, fix radios, and even rebuild blocks. I make goals if I fall short, then so be it. At least, I get the satisfaction that I tried my hardest and I did it all on my own or with assistance from friends. I never once gave it to a professional to do it for me.

BrnOutKing: Thanks for the input, Buschur racing sells a complete built motor for $3500. I have two 4G63 engines that can offer to them. I'm sure I can work out some kind of discount. As well there other parts. Also I always look for the best deal. For example. NGK Platinum Spark Plugs are $9 on Extreme Motor Sports, but only $5 on NOPI. Your help is appreciated greatly!

Enigma_Man: I know alot about the 1/4 mile runs. 2 sec is a life time on the quarter mile. "Step on it" is not gonna get anyone that extra 2 sec. Well maybe if your DSM was powered by a Jet Engine! I've seen 10, 11, 12, all the way to 16 sec. cars (<--- Civic). I know what I'm trying to do isn't going to be easy or cheap, but cars a a great love of mine! Its a passion I do on my spare time. Ask my wife. When I'm not working. I'm playing with my car, and if I'm not doing my car, I'm doing someones elses. I've worked on a total of 4 DSM's since I was 17. And I've owned 2 of them.

robvas/Ludachris: I agree Ludachris, just causet they can do it, doesn't mean I can do it. Realistically I expect to hit low 11's. I don't plan to gut the car or even have the driver expierence needed to hit these times, just like the last DS shootout, Even Dave Buschur couldn't get the same Hugger Orange Talon that he had to run a 10 again. So how the *bleep* am I gonna do it. But Ludachris you are wrong about needing sponsorship. The Hugger Orange Talon was built for once purpose; that thier DSM was affordable to build by the average street enthanuist, without diggin' to deep into his/her wallet. It was built on just over $10k in parts and if you're like me, you would do all the work yourself anyway. Add in the price for the car and you're spendin about 15k and a whole lot of time :)

ILOSE:Yes, I've seen a n 1992 Laser AWD. take a 11.49 run last year in the DS shootout and his car was streetable! and i know drivers have alot to do with the outcome of a race, Weither it be a win, a loss, or a wreck! After all, cars don't drive themselves

Steps to get build a 10 sec DSM.

1) Find out your current 1/4 mile time (14s with free mods and a decent driver).

2) Do some mods aim for 13s.

3) Do some mods aim for 12s.

4) Do some mods aim for 11s.

5) Do some mods aim for 10s.

Don't ever expect to build a 10 second car out of the box. There is much to learn along the way and you can't skip that process. If you are really good and really dedicated and have lots of time and money to spare maybe you might be able to do it in a summer... but not likely. Plus at that power level you'll be breaking things so don't expect a reliable daily driver.

p.s. Throw away your copy of the F&F ;).

Now that being siad you are going to need a properly built full race engine and intake, a big f#cking turbo, a custom fuel delivery system (ie 8 big injectors maybe, 4 that run normally and 4 that can kick in), a proper stand alone computer, lots of weight rediction, a very low restriction exhaust, a great race core FMIC, tough driveline parts and you may need to consider slicks and NOS. Building a 10 second DSM comes with a lot of trouble and frustration. 12s can be acheived quite easily, 11s not too much of a problem but there are not a lot of 10s out there for a good reason. It takes a lot of blood sweat, tears, time and money. Any advise you can get off a shop that runs 10s or less would be well worth digging for because they've been through it. Any advise you can get from a bunch of guys here running 14s, 13s, and 12s isn't going to help much. If I were you I'd aim for mid 12's then mid 11s and finally if you haven't exhausted yourself or your money 10s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back