The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECUflash 1 byte load is jumping around while 2 byte load reads steady

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_genecide

Proven Member
Jan 26, 2013
yuma, Arizona
Hi, sorry for all the newb questions lately.
I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem as I have, and if so what the correction would be.
While looking at my last log 1 byte load Dropped from 318.75 to 2.5 while 2 byte load was reading 320 to 324.68.
2 byte load stayed steady But 1 byte load started jumping around.
During this time I got lots of knock sum. Afr stayed at 10.3.
I read that some of the evo guys had a similar problem and had to change 1 byte to 2 byte load factor.
Can anyone help with finding that? Or any other ideas

The reason this happens is because the maximum load you can log with 1 byte load in ceddymods is 318.75 and then it loops over to 0. This is not a factory parameter, 1 byte load is something that Ceddy programmed in, mirroring what Tephra did with the Evo roms.

It is done because 1 byte is just a number from 0-255. Thats all the information that it can display. Its how you scale it that changes the maximum number you end up with. In this case the way the computer calculates load from the factory 1 byte will max out at 159.375 load. You can see this if you log ECU load in evoscan, it will max at 159.375 load. The ecu then takes that byte and adds it to another byte to get the total load for its calculations. This is where 2 byte load comes from. We log both bytes and then evoscan does the calculation. This makes 2 byte load very accurate and with high resolution. However reading 2 bytes takes more logging power than 1 byte so it reads slower.

This is where 1 byte load comes in. Ceddy added code in the rom to take the 2 byte load divide it by a constant of 1.25, then store that new value to another byte. He then set up the MUT table to log that new byte in evoscan. Evoscan displays it by multiplying the value by 1.25 which gives you load again. But like I said this maxes out at 318.75 load because 255*1.25=315.75 before it loops over to 0.

Now this could be fixed by changing that 1.25 to a 1.5 in the code at the expense of some resolution. However we dont have this constant defined in ecuflash and I'm not sure at the moment where Ceddy put it. I dont think he thought anyone would be reaching over 318 load when he set up his rom so we dont have access to change it. Tephra defined it in the Evo rom so you can just change the constant to whatever suits your needs.

Your best bet for now would be to continue using 2 byte load and just cut down on the other things you log at the same time in order to keep your transfer rate up.

The reason this happens is because the maximum load you can log with 1 byte load in ceddymods is 318.75 and then it loops over to 0. This is not a factory parameter, 1 byte load is something that Ceddy programmed in, mirroring what Tephra did with the Evo roms.

It is done because 1 byte is just a number from 0-255. Thats all the information that it can display. Its how you scale it that changes the maximum number you end up with. In this case the way the computer calculates load from the factory 1 byte will max out at 159.375 load. You can see this if you log ECU load in evoscan, it will max at 159.375 load. The ecu then takes that byte and adds it to another byte to get the total load for its calculations. This is where 2 byte load comes from. We log both bytes and then evoscan does the calculation. This makes 2 byte load very accurate and with high resolution. However reading 2 bytes takes more logging power than 1 byte so it reads slower.

This is where 1 byte load comes in. Ceddy added code in the rom to take the 2 byte load divide it by a constant of 1.25, then store that new value to another byte. He then set up the MUT table to log that new byte in evoscan. Evoscan displays it by multiplying the value by 1.25 which gives you load again. But like I said this maxes out at 318.75 load because 255*1.25=315.75 before it loops over to 0.

Now this could be fixed by changing that 1.25 to a 1.5 in the code at the expense of some resolution. However we dont have this constant defined in ecuflash and I'm not sure at the moment where Ceddy put it. I dont think he thought anyone would be reaching over 318 load when he set up his rom so we dont have access to change it. Tephra defined it in the Evo rom so you can just change the constant to whatever suits your needs.

Your best bet for now would be to continue using 2 byte load and just cut down on the other things you log at the same time in order to keep your transfer rate up.

So ceddy did add the code to the rom and someone (like me) shouldn't be looking all over for it to add to rom 20550011? also, the hex values in the mut table dont need to be changed manually? and also i was reading, in evoscan, you would also need to change the function to 1.2*x255 (could have those numbers in wrong order) manually by changing/adding data in evoscan? or was that only older versions of evoscan? so if one today would download evoscan 2.9 then jump to ceddymods site and download ROM HEX files, you would be good to go to plug in and log/tune and be able to break the 160 load "limit"?

Ceddy already has a "Ceddy specific" MUT set for EvoScan 2.7-up. You just need to follow the instructions in the website and set it up. It will appear in the selections if you did it correctly. You can change the values of any of the parameter equations in it if you'd like but if you are not going over the load max value 95REGF150 mentioned, there is no reason to change them.

ok gotcha I do see it in the selections. started looking into this a few months ago so still "green". I just did the 5 dollar donation to ceddy to kinda poke around but I had the understanding stuff may still needed added to rom like 1 byte load, emmissions etc...havnt found much pertaining to this tho for 20550011. most threads were from 2009-2011 and people were coping and pasting patches.

For a short term solution I removed the outer honeycombs from the maf and unscrewed the set screw on the bottom. That dropped the max load to around 270.
I believe that I should not be overrunning the 318 load with the mods I have. I know it's been a while since I started this thread but I have been working long hours and don't have much extra time.
I need to do a boost leak test but I'm having problems keeping a coupler on the 4" intake of the hx35 over 20 psi. I plan on testing at the intercooler pipe next time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back