The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1.8L Timing mark location

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesman21

Probationary Member
Jul 3, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Hello,
Where exactly is the timing mark on the crankshaft that's to be aligned with the diamond shaped mark on the inner cover as I am installing a new timing belt? Black and white diagrams I have found online and in the Chilton book are not detailed enough for me to see exactly where it is or how it may look. Also, when installing a new timing belt (old one broke), how do I know when I am TDC of the compression stroke of the #1 piston? I am not a mechanic. 6 years ago my stepdad replaced a broken timing belt in this same motor with just specs from the internet in an hour and the car started and run ever since. He's not around anymore and I am trying to do this myself. Thanks for any advice and help. bluesman21

Last edited by a moderator:
To find TDC of #1 just remove the spark plug from #1 (that's the cylinder closest to the timing belt) stick a long screwdriver down into the spark plug hole and rotate the engine until the screwdriver is at the highest point. Then look at the marks on the crank sprocket and see how close they are. Make sure the cams are lined up for TDC also so the valves are all closed, you don't want to rotate the crank when any valve is open.

Vfaq does not specify the location or description of the timing mark on the crankshaft to align with the diamond shaped mark on the inner timing cover. I rotated the crankshaft clockwise with a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole stopping when it pushed the screwdriver out as far as it will go. The camshaft has a punched mark on the sprocket which is lined up with the vertical hashmark on the inner cover. The oil pump sprocket is in the right phase and it's lined up with its obvious mark on the sprocket to the inner cover dot shaped timing mark. I still do not know what the timing mark is on the crankshaft to line up with the diamond shaped timing mark on the inner cover. My rotor button is over the #1 firing wire position. If I just knew where the crankshaft mark was or what it looked like, I could move forward. Thanks for the quick replies. Bluesman21

I cannot locate or assess what the timing mark is to be on my crankshaft to line up with the diamond shaped mark on the inner cover to install a timing belt on a 1993 Plymouth Laser 1.8L. I see no score marks anywhere. The oil pump sprocket and camshaft sprocket had very easily identifiable marks. Thanks. Bluesman21

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/1g-n-t-tech/393440-93-1-8-help-head-gasket-stuff.html

The crank timing mark is on a piece called the "crankshaft sprocket flange" (No. 26 in the first diagram in that post, looks similar to this) more commonly known as the trigger plate, not on the crankshaft itself or the sprocket. It sounds like you don't have that plate so you need to get one. Part number for the 1.8L is MD008956 though you can likely find a used one easily.

I had stopped receiving replies on my old thread and refined a new one to break some new ice. The photo above I have seen many times online and I'm positive it's the camshaft, not the crankshaft. The crankshaft flange is there, clean and bare of any marks to match with the diamond shaped mark on the inner housing. I just read elsewhere someone having the identical problem of seeing the crankshaft mark while the camshaft marks and oil pump marks are very obvoius. Haynes and Chilton black and white diagrams are not in detail where I can make out anything specific. And how do I know when my crankshaft is on its compression stroke? Sometimes when trying to learn what to do I have read people saying cam when it's crank and vice versa. If I could just find someone that knew exactly what the mark looked like and where exactly it is located per my vehicle I would be in business. Thanks for all the replies. Bluesman21

your compressoin stroke is determined by your cam.. you piston goes up and down, thats all if its not connected to cam

I got TDC figured out and and #1 is up with the rotor button on the #1 plug wire. I still cannot locate the timing mark on my crankshaft to match it up to the inner cover timing mark. Any more ideas?

there is no notch on my trigger plate. There is a peg on my crank the outer pully has a hole it inserts to. Maybe thats it. I have no other clues.

did you clean it real good? how far apart is it.. if you have it tore down enough just pull off the pulley and get a better look

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

all i got

also what was wrong with your other thread??

That's the mark and vertical hash mark for the camshaft which i have. I need the Crankshaft marks that are readable

I have not been able to get a specific location or description of the timing mark for my crankshaft to match to the mark on the inner housing. Efforts have been unsuccessful in receiving accurate information to get me an answer that is correct. I have received blurry black and white diagrams, pics of the camshaft(I need the crankshaft), and the idea that it's a notch on my crankshaft sprocket flange which it isn't. I have a 1.8L 1993 Plymouth Laser. Does anyone have any more knowledge or guesses? Thank you, Bluesman21

I may be wrong that it is on the trigger plate; I was judging simply from the diagram showing the timing marks. This thread, as I understand it, suggests it is on the balance shaft belt's crank sprocket and is somewhat difficult to find, but shows no pictures: 1.8 timing - DSMsource.com Forums. Sorry I can't help you better than that.

4G37 marks (the timing marks stayed the same for this motor, where the 7bolt 4G63 did do some minor changing and added that trigger plate) as above mentioned with the cam sprocket plate mark, you have a dimple on the belt sprocket that matches up to the arrow mark on the oil pump cover and the two balance shaft sprockets, each with their own dimple on the sprockets to align up with their respective marks also on the oil pump cover.

Outside of the "12.00" notch on the back plate and the dimple on the cam, the oil pump housing has three arrow shaped marks to where the dimple on each sprocket aligns up with. The front balancer, the mark is around the "10:00" position, the crank sprocket mark at the "2:00" positon, and the oil pump sprocket also at the "10:00" position. Get those aligned up when doing the belt and adjust accordingly to where all three are aligned up with the tensioner wheel at the right tension to where you have the quarter inch deflection on the long side of the belt before you tighten up the assembly.

Course, the oil pump sprocket has to be "in phase" with the balancer shaft behind that sprocket, and the easy way to find the correct phase is to Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it shoulsd properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine. This avoids having to remove the rear access bolt entirely.

..ain't nothing to do timing belts on these motors ... I've had 3, 1.8L DSM's and did belts on all of them. Sadly, VFAQ fails in this area: absolutely no information for owners of the 4G37 (1.8L) motors.. to get help from.

Good luck- DSM

Thank you all for your replies. I joined this forum yesterday and immediately had a lot of input that I greatly appreciate. I figured out yesterday afternoon that I was looking at what I will call the outer sprocket flange on the crank and low and behold it IS on the sprocket flange, the inside one (partially hidden until I rolled it while someone else looked from the top). I have never did more on a car than change a battery or plugs. Thanks to that Laser and that litttle 1.8L keeping me out from under the hood for 18 years! But, I did the timing belt yesterday and man it even feels like I added horsepower somehow. Without DSMtuners I would have never even been looking at the sprocket flange and able to do this repair since my budget wouldn't allow to pay someone. I love that little car. It turned in to my work car about 8 years ago. The car gets great gas mileage and keeps going like the energizer bunny. Happy 4th to all!!! Bluesman21

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back