The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Made the switch to DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanced-trash96'

Probationary Member
Sep 23, 2013
Salem, Virginia
I recently made a switch to my long term commitment. I was and always will be a pround Honda owner, but after having my 96 Talon Tsi (fwd) for a month i am moving onto dsm's for awhile. Iv been reading up alot on different forums but still trying to get used to these cars. Anyone have any first owner advice?

Info on the car-
1996 Talon Tsi (fwd)
105,000 miles:thumb:
Mint interior
exterior could use a little cleaning up
Everything looks solid up underneath, no rust
Recently replaced the timing belt, ball joints, and plugs and wires
Car builds boost great for such a small turbo
One minor problem i am having is aggressive acceleration is causing almost like a rubbing sound. I'm thinking hub or bearing???
The car is on stock suspension along with just about everything else but stock wheels.
Iv heard a few people mention 16g and others say go 20g
I myself am interested in having a 400-500hp daily so what do i need to be capable of this but also safe and reliable?
Trans?
Mods?
is bottom end fine for this amount of hp, iv heard they will hold 600hp?
Thanks guys, Virginia resident here. If anyone is local give me a shout

Make sure all maintenance is done. Get 20g turbo a Wally 255 pump, bigger injectors, ECM link, upgraded clutch, fp manifold, some cams and you should be set. It's not as easy as buying those parts though. A good tune will go a long way.

Hey stanced I'm located in Virginia Beach, but there are a few of us around the Hampton Roads area.
im actually located near roanoke va, about 3 or 4 hours from vb and hampton. I have family down that way maybe next trip we can set something up though.

Make sure all maintenance is done. Get 20g turbo a Wally 255 pump, bigger injectors, ECM link, upgraded clutch, fp manifold, some cams and you should be set. It's not as easy as buying those parts though. A good tune will go a long way.
as far as maintenance what do you recommend?

I recently made a switch to my long term commitment. I was and always will be a pround Honda owner, but after having my 96 Talon Tsi (fwd) for a month i am moving onto dsm's for awhile. Iv been reading up alot on different forums but still trying to get used to these cars. Anyone have any first owner advice?

Info on the car-
1996 Talon Tsi (fwd)
105,000 miles:thumb:
Mint interior
exterior could use a little cleaning up
Everything looks solid up underneath, no rust
Recently replaced the timing belt, ball joints, and plugs and wires
Was the water pump, timing belt tensioner, balance shaft belt replaced when the timing belt was done?
Car builds boost great for such a small turbo
One minor problem i am having is aggressive acceleration is causing almost like a rubbing sound. I'm thinking hub or bearing???
Only during acceleration? wheel bearing should be at all times and less when turning the opposite direction of the bad bearing.
The car is on stock suspension along with just about everything else but stock wheels.
Iv heard a few people mention 16g and others say go 20g
Depends on budget. FP has some great turbos out there that will get you there easily as well.
I myself am interested in having a 400-500hp daily so what do i need to be capable of this but also safe and reliable?
Trans? Depends if you get traction... ;)
Mods? Injectors, pump, FMIC, turbo, DSMLINK, clutch, exhaust, and basic supporting mods.
is bottom end fine for this amount of hp, iv heard they will hold 600hp?
Bottem up should be fine for around 4-500 for a while. Some go higher with no issues. Hows compression?

Thanks guys, Virginia resident here. If anyone is local give me a shout

Welcome- From a MD resident. See my comments in red above.

Welcome- From a MD resident. See my comments in red above.
Thanks alot man, i appreciate all the feedback and look foward to hearing other views on my potential build. My main concern is making sure everything is solid before upping the horsepower

Howdy and welcome! Saved my 1st AWD TSi Talon from parking lot death in May. Dumbass kid really messed it up. It's been the most tedious car project ever, but I have enjoyed every moment. After 4 months I can finally drive it on road... Take your time, do your research and good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back