Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Vendor Announcements
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Vendor Announcements: Special sales, group buys, and product announcements from our parts retailers and our other supporting vendors. We encourage all members to read and submit vendor reviews as well.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 9.630 @ 146.890
Tech Posts: 68
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 4

JMF Race vs Drag Intake Testing

A long while back we sent over one of the first produced JMF Drag intake manifolds to our friends at Turbo Trix Racing to be tested on Bean's 600+hp 10.0 race car. Well, summer kicked in, and busy season came about for everyone in the industry and then there were a few set backs here and there which prevented them from testing the intake. No problem though, as we at least had track data from a few of our customers reporting the gains they saw--one being our sponsored DSMer that most of you know, Jake Montgomery/evil_eagle. Jake jumped from an 8.9* ET eventually down to an 8.6* using our new Drag intake as well as a few other upgrades over the winter. Gaining that much of an ET jump at that low of a time already requires quite a bit more power than a car going from say, a 14.0 to a 13.5 ET

However, people still wanted dyno proof. Well, this past week, the Turbo Trix guys did a bit of testing on one customers car with a few intake manifolds, including two of ours. The drag screamed results as you'll see below.

Dyno results:

Testing was eventually cut short due to a timing belt issue that started to arrise, so they didn't get to lean the car out at much as the other runs and power was cut a hair short of what it could be, but we're quite happy nonetheless. The car used only had intakes swapped and no other changes except for fuel table adjustments from leaning out. The boost was set in the mid 30s with a TTR 35R kit and was the same for each run. Tuning was done with a Haltec ECU, while intake was accomplished through a 4" cold air pipe and BR FMIC.

As you'll see, spool-up was faster with the Drag intake (red lines), and shortly after 5k rpm the drag intake torque and hp just took off seeing approximately a 40hp/tq difference between the two. The peak HP was a pretty consistant 14+hp difference, which once again could have probably been increased with more tuning and leaning out.

Hopefully these results put people's questions to rest on why they should spend a little extra on the Drag intake (aside from the extra time it takes us to build one) when they're looking to squeeze out as much as they can with their setup. Thanks for reading!

JMF 1g Race Intake

JMF 1g Drag Intake

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,658
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 1
Ever compare the street version with either of those?
I just don't see why you make the 'race' if the drag spools faster
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,668
Photos: 53
Classifieds Rating: 45
Any idea how this would compare to a stroker? 2.3 or 2.4??
Ive heard that people who use the Drag use it to take advantage of the 8k-10k RPM shifts

Also what size throttle body was used?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 2,273
Classified Ads: 4
Classifieds Rating: 14
Reputation: Gamble97 is pretty helpful and trustworthyGamble97 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob10_99 View Post
I just don't see why you make the 'race' if the drag spools faster
Maybe because not everyone can afford the drag and maybe not everyone needs the drag.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
Photos: 13
very nice intake manifolds man were ncan i buy one?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_PWR View Post
Any idea how this would compare to a stroker? 2.3 or 2.4??
Ive heard that people who use the Drag use it to take advantage of the 8k-10k RPM shifts

Also what size throttle body was used?
The difference between the two manifolds on a stroker motor should be quite similar in performance, but with the hp/tq gap difference between the two intakes most likely shifting location in the rpm range. I'd be curious to see the actual results of that too--I just wish we had an in house dyno to do the testing, although it's sometimes better to have others do the tuning and testing for you to get back unbiased results.

The throttle body was an Accufab 75mm if I recall--need to double check with the TTR guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamble97 View Post
Maybe because not everyone can afford the drag and maybe not everyone needs the drag.
Exactly. Plus the Race version is the original design of the boss's and I don't think he wants us to stop making it.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sholo View Post
very nice intake manifolds man were ncan i buy one?
jmfabrications.com or many of the vendors that carry us including site sponsors on here.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 10
JMFabrications. Search google.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 397
Send a message via AIM to this_tsi_8urV8 Send a message via Yahoo to this_tsi_8urV8
Perhaps compare this to the AMS VSR? Since they both very similar.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 11
Definitely curious to see the results vs the AMS VSR seeing as that is what I have

Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 808
Photos: 10

intersting that the race

race manifold made more hp, tq and spooled faster even though the temp was higher and the humidity was higher. I would like to see the race manifold tested at the exact same humidity and temp. I think it would make a difference .

Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,762
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoha2 View Post
race manifold made more hp, tq and spooled faster even though the temp was higher and the humidity was higher. I would like to see the race manifold tested at the exact same humidity and temp. I think it would make a difference .
The race should spool faster, but the hp and tq really depends on what size turbo your testing it on.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 184
Classifieds Rating: 21
Great results Brent! I'm glad I picked one up

Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 744
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: HighPSI TSi Guy is pretty helpful and trustworthyHighPSI TSi Guy is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to HighPSI TSi Guy Send a message via Yahoo to HighPSI TSi Guy
Not a performance question, but does anyone know if the coil pack bracket that bolts to the back of the block that JMF sells will fit with the drag manifold's bigger plenum?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yes, I use both on my car with no fitment issues.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,011
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 6
Reputation: v8s_are_slow is extremely helpful and trustworthyv8s_are_slow is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to v8s_are_slow Send a message via MSN to v8s_are_slow Send a message via Yahoo to v8s_are_slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gDSM4g63 View Post
The race should spool faster, but the hp and tq really depends on what size turbo your testing it on.
I'm thinking the same thing. I plan on going with a BR20g. Deciding on what manifold I wanna go with now (since the price of the JMF mani has gone up) and wanna make sure I get the correct one for my application. I'll have a water/air i/c setup so the piping would be much shorter. Wondering if I went with a race or drag manifold, if that'd help since apparently the spool is faster on a bigger turbo....or if going with a drag would just be too much for this size of a turbo. Hmmm.......

Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 59
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via AIM to stealth mullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8s_are_slow View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. I plan on going with a BR20g. Deciding on what manifold I wanna go with now (since the price of the JMF mani has gone up) and wanna make sure I get the correct one for my application. I'll have a water/air i/c setup so the piping would be much shorter. Wondering if I went with a race or drag manifold, if that'd help since apparently the spool is faster on a bigger turbo....or if going with a drag would just be too much for this size of a turbo. Hmmm.......
I think the ''race'' manifold will do just fine. The ''drag'' manifold is intended for those pushing the snot out of a 35R or larger turbo if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure others will confirm this.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: v8s_are_slow is extremely helpful and trustworthyv8s_are_slow is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to v8s_are_slow Send a message via MSN to v8s_are_slow Send a message via Yahoo to v8s_are_slow
Yes but if the spool time is shortened with a bigger turbo on the Drag version, I wonder what it'd do with a smaller turbo like a 20g. I'll have short i/c pipes cause of the water/air setup and then possibly a side exit exhaust. Add in a big manifold to top it off, wonder how well that'd perform. Hmmm.......

Wonder if anyone has done any testing with the drag manifolds on smaller turbos. It DEFINITELY wouldn't be a restriction. Lol. That's for sure!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

If you guys do a search over on evom, you'll see evil_eagle put the drag manifold on his stock turbo'ed Evo and saw some really impressive results with it as well. Very similar to where the gains in the dyno graph are shown above.

Granted, our Evo Drag manifold uses 1" shorter runners, as well as .25" smaller diameter runners, along with the plenum being a bit shorter (throttle body flange to opposite end) than a 1g Drag plenum for fitment issues.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Is there any reason you guys don't make them for 2g's? I don't see them listed on your site anyway. Just the 1g and Evo's. I know some of the 2g guys use the older Evo mani's and they bolt up the same. So would figure if the runner size would be the same as an Evo that made good numbers, the same could be said for a 2g mani in a drag version. Agree? No?