The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Verify a blown turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blu90GST

Proven Member
Sep 10, 2013
East Peoria, Illinois
I have oil in my intake from the TB to the intercooler, I stopped driving it about a month ago and just recently pulled it apart to start lookign around, the car wont idle but will drive and has lost compression on a couple cylinders, I'm sure something with my motor is gone, but is my turbo also screwed? thanks in advance.

Very low compression, oil in the intake pipe, could be lots of blow by. To check your turbo, take the intake pipe off and see how much you can wiggle the shaft of the turbo both side to side and in/out.

If your compression is very low, test it out with a leak down tester. You will be able to see where the air is escaping from. Head gasket, valves, piston rings, etc.

what exactly is blow-by? ive heard the term a lot but never seen it explained

what exactly is blow-by? ive heard the term a lot but never seen it explained

"Blowby is caused by excessive wear between piston rings and cylinder wall which allow cylinder pressure to leak out of combustion chamber into the crankcase where a) it mixes with engine oil making it corrosive to the soft metal of the bearings accelerating wear and b) creating a positive pressure which forces oil past seals and gaskets causing oil leaks and effectively forcing air into the intake creating a lean fuel mixture which in turn causes decreased engine performance and elevated combustion temperatures which increases emissions of nitrogen oxides, a polutant. "

I just noticed tonight I too have the same thing. I had a kink in my oil return line, which I fixed... after blowing smoke for a day or two while I diagnosed it. Now I have realized I have oil all through my intercooler piping. I'm going to rip it all apart tomorrow and clean it up, and pray that its just left over from the oil blowing by the turbo seals. Ill keep my results posted in here since its along the same lines, aside from the low compression...

I have been reading it can also be pcv related. May want to check in to that as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back