The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset WH1C NPT Source Nipple in Compressor Cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSTowner

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2008
Huntersville, North_Carolina
Yes I searched and was shocked I couldn't find what I need. I picked up a Holset WH1C and it has been tapped for a boost source but the fitting is missing. I will measure the hole for size but my problem is finding the nipple adapters online. I think the reason I'm having a hard time find these is because I don't know the correct term. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_000335.jpg
    IMG_20140204_000335.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 323
Edelmann #831240 / Weatherhead #1582. I go through them by the boxfull.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That should work. BTW, it's going to be interesting to see how this turbo performs. The previous owner had this WH1C mounted into an SBR GT-12 exhaust housing. Of course he claims it worked great but I have my doubts. I'll give it a shot and worse case I'll pick up a BEP housing.

That should work. BTW, it's going to be interesting to see how this turbo performs. The previous owner had this WH1C mounted into an SBR GT-12 exhaust housing. Of course he claims it worked great but I have my doubts. I'll give it a shot and worse case I'll pick up a BEP housing.
Ball bearing GT housings are POOR candidates to be machined to HX turbines because there is a much greater distance between the backside of the inducer tip to the center housing mounting flange on a HX than on a GT. This means that the GT CHRA already sits further into the turbine housing than a HX....so by the time you machine deep enough that the center housing flange fits and seats, the turbine wheel is well beyond the area where the exhaust flow contacts the inducer tips.

A few months back I had a guy send me a H1E for rebuild which kept failing by burning the backside of the inducer tips off and nearly melting a hole in the heat shield. Upon further inspection, the housing had to be machined in such a way that when the turbine was fully seated, the nozzle area of the exhaust flow was completely missing the turbine wheel...aiming right into the heat shield. Basically, it was junk.

Definitely plan on throwing that housing away and getting the correct Bullseye housing at some point.

Ball bearing GT housings are POOR candidates to be machined to HX turbines because there is a much greater distance between the backside of the inducer tip to the center housing mounting flange on a HX than on a GT. This means that the GT CHRA already sits further into the turbine housing than a HX....so by the time you machine deep enough that the center housing flange fits and seats, the turbine wheel is well beyond the area where the exhaust flow contacts the inducer tips.

A few months back I had a guy send me a H1E for rebuild which kept failing by burning the backside of the inducer tips off and nearly melting a hole in the heat shield. Upon further inspection, the housing had to be machined in such a way that when the turbine was fully seated, the nozzle area of the exhaust flow was completely missing the turbine wheel...aiming right into the heat shield. Basically, it was junk.

Definitely plan on throwing that housing away and getting the correct Bullseye housing at some point.

I was afraid to hear this but I'm glad I brought it up. I'll post pics of it shortly so you can see how it looks.

I took some pics but it was hard to get a clear view of the turbine. All I can say is there is absolutely no shaft play and it spins freely so hopefully it will be fine once i swap it into a BEP housing. I know it's hard to tell by the pics but does it appear that they (TurboLab) somehow made everything line up or is this a recipe for disaster? Thanks again for your help

Attachments

• DSC_0167.jpg
    DSC_0167.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0168.jpg
    DSC_0168.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0164.jpg
    DSC_0164.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0176.jpg
    DSC_0176.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0177.jpg
    DSC_0177.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 133
Looks like something was welded to the turbo flange of the housing to make it "deeper" than a standard 30R-based housing....the welding to block off the wastegate hole is also pretty interesting. LOL

It appears the machining was done fairly well- the only issue now would be this housing is a copy of a 7cm2 (.49 a/r) DSM housing....so any concern about the .55 a/r centered-volute BEP housing causing surge or not flowing well enough would be an even greater concern with this housing.

Last edited:
I didnt realize it's a .49 ar so im on the search for a used BEP housing. If i cant find one in soon then i'll buy it new. Thanks again for your help

This thread makes me want to send my turbo lab 20g to Justin for inspection. That wastegate plug is horrible if they have that detail on what the eyes can see imagine how things could be in the inner workings of the turbo.

The weld in the flapper hole looks more than just interesting. Looks like bird shit LOL
My welds aren't much better- I just meant that it would've been easier to find something to plug the hole first (an old flapper, perhaps) then weld around that instead of literally piling weld into the hole.

Although I'd try to get rid of some of the slag from inside the housing visible in this photo before using the turbo:

attachment.php

My welds aren't much better- I just meant that it would've been easier to find something to plug the hole first (an old flapper, perhaps) then weld around that instead of literally piling weld into the hole.

Although I'd try to get rid of some of the slag from inside the housing visible in this photo before using the turbo:

attachment.php

Yeah after you chimed in i decided to not use it in the current housing and will swap in a BEP housing

Just ordered a brand new .55a/r BEP housing. I'm still curious how well this frankenstein gt12 housing would have worked on a manual trans but I'm not going to risk it. When I met the previous owner he told me the reason he stopped using the turbo was because he couldn't build boost on launch. He said it's because he has an auto and is on the stock converter. That sounds like a legit possibility but I believe it's also because of this crappy housing. If anyone wants to test it out I'll let them have it for free, just paying shipping. :D

Not that I'm some turbo lab lackey, but he said it was rebuilt by them, he didn't spwcify they did the wastegate or machine the housing.

And to jusmx, what are some of these guys thinking. I can see overlooking the turbines position when you are cutting you first housing on your first attempt, but you'd think if you have enough senses to physically build a custom turbo like this, than you'd realize the is sure when you seat the chra to the housing.

Not that I'm some turbo lab lackey, but he said it was rebuilt by them, he didn't spwcify they did the wastegate or machine the housing.

And to jusmx, what are some of these guys thinking. I can see overlooking the turbines position when you are cutting you first housing on your first attempt, but you'd think if you have enough senses to physically build a custom turbo like this, than you'd realize the is sure when you seat the chra to the housing.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I bought it used so I'm going from what the previous owner said. With that said, I don't know if they rebuilt the turbo but I was told Turbo Lab did machine the housing. I don't know who welded the wastegate but by the looks of it my guess would be the previous owner. All-in-all I gotta say I'm impressed that Turbo Lab was able to pull it off. He told me he had a spare GT12 housing plus a WH1C and he called them up, asked if it was possible to make it work and they did. He claims he boosted it to 18 PSI fine and that it spooled quickly. I have never tested it myself and I just swapped the turbo into a brand new BEP housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back