The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

How superior is the HY35 over a Garrett 50-Trim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQuinonez90

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2011
Salinas, California
Just bought me an HY35 since my garrett 50 trim took a poop. It has in and out shaft play like no other and smoking leaving huge bluish clouds. I could of easily had the 50 trim rebuilt but thought since people are making good numbers with the hy35 why not give it a shot? But by how much is the hy35 superior over the garrett 50 trim?

Just bought me an HY35 since my garrett 50 trim took a poop. It has in and out shaft play like no other and smoking leaving huge bluish clouds. I could of easily had the 50 trim rebuilt but thought since people are making good numbers with the hy35 why not give it a shot? But by how much is the hy35 superior over the garrett 50 trim?

Each car and supporting mods is different, check the flow charts for specifics. :rocks:

Reliability, far superior.

Airflow/performance, far superior (60+lb/min versus 48 lb/min).

Pricing, far superior.

Not as easily as you think.

If the in/out play is as bad as you're making it seem, the turbo and compressor cover are junk....so you'd need a new turbo anyway.

Reliability, far superior.

Airflow/performance, far superior (60+lb/min versus 48 lb/min).

Pricing, far superior.

Not as easily as you think.

If the in/out play is as bad as you're making it seem, the turbo and compressor cover are junk....so you'd need a new turbo anyway.

You've made my day so much better. I thought maybe I did an investment that I shouldnt of made but it sure was well worth it because Im sure the turbo is junk.

The 50trim is not a bad turbo. Its actually a significant part of DSM history.
No matter what turbo a person has, if its in good shape, run the piss out of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back