The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

waste gate sizes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Depends if you are going to be running low boost or high booost. If you are running high boost you don't need to divert a lot of exhaust so a smaller (rationally) wastegate should be sufficient. If you running low boost, you need a lot of more exhaust diverted so a bigger one (rationally) is better. Now keep in mind you don't want something too small where it can't control the boost at all either. Also having smooth transisitons and good port work is also a factor.

I run a 40MM Synapse WG with my E316G and it does the job well enough for me, the hardest part was messing around with all of the vacuum settings. They also make a 50MM for the larger turbos.

ill be running high boost.... ok so a 38mm should be ok yea??? what happens if you run a bigger wastegate than whats needed???

Currently building with an HX35 and using a Tial MVR(44mm) waste gate.

You pick the wastegate size based on the least amount of boost you expect to run. I would expect that with an HX35-sized turbine on a 2.0L you will be fine with a 38mm down into the single digits if it's dumping to atmosphere.

Never tried to run that low back when I had an S200sx which is similar in size, but I probably could have gotten close.. even in the bolt-on housing

Depends if you are going to be running low boost or high booost. If you are running high boost you don't need to divert a lot of exhaust so a smaller (rationally) wastegate should be sufficient. If you running low boost, you need a lot of more exhaust diverted so a bigger one (rationally) is better. Now keep in mind you don't want something too small where it can't control the boost at all either. Also having smooth transisitons and good port work is also a factor.

What he said. I have a Tial MVS 38 on my MHI Evo III setup, and at times I wish I had something bigger, because I can't run low boost the way it currently is. More port work is needed. Until then it just hits the low target boost and creeps far beyond. (TGT is 1 bar). Thats what I want for daily...it apparently likes 20-22psi more though :ohdamn:

The only good thing about the smaller MVS gate, is there is more room.

What he said. I have a Tial MVS 38 on my MHI Evo III setup, and at times I wish I had something bigger, because I can't run low boost the way it currently is. More port work is needed. Until then it just hits the low target boost and creeps far beyond. (TGT is 1 bar). Thats what I want for daily...it apparently likes 20-22psi more though :ohdamn:

The only good thing about the smaller MVS gate, is there is more room.

Recirculating or dumped? Off the O2 housing or Manifold? What diameter exhaust? Do you have a cat?

The small housing and wheel in your 16G will almost always require more gate area than an HX35 sized wheel, even if that HX35 is in a bolt-on housing with internal gate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back