The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

hx35 rebuild problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Correct...but if the play was so bad that the compressor rubbed the housing, then there's a chance that the turbine wheel rubbed the center housing where the sealing ring fits into the shaft/wheel and pinched the sealing ring groove shut, which is not allowing the new ring to fully compress into the groove.

Took apart and reassembled everything, turbo spins but not super freely. How freely should a rebuilt turbo spin before its run on the car? If I were to flick it to spin it will not, the wheel will not free spin by itself it takes some push.

Anyone?? The turbine had no damage, is there a chance the shaft is bent?

If you give it a spin with your fingers it should spin around several times for a split second. It would probably hurt a lot to flick it hard enough to spin it around.

Update: Got the turbo on the car, primed it and then cranked, no loud noises, no smoke, could hear it spinning and not contacting anything through filter, Everything seemed normal so I Let it idle for around 5 minutes, after it cooled I took my intake pipe off to check the spin and its still feels harder than I want to spin it, it still will not rotate by itself after you spin it with fingers. Does it need to break in before it will loosen up and spin easily? The car has seen only idle rpms for around 5 minutes...

PS: I didn't literally mean flick it with my finger nail LOL ^

It's shouldn't spin much. Like a spilt second and it will stop very suddenly. It's not like the comp turbos that spin forever and slowly wind down, which is just stupid eyecandy btw, there are way better bb turbos outthere that dont isle down like that. I think you are putting too much thought into this. It just one of those things you'll know after building a few turbos. They just feel right,click a certain way. Each type feels different but you just learn from experience.

FYI I built my hx35 tht I run now, so I know how they act on a bench.

This is good bench racing!! Hahaha I know shoot me.

My h1c will probably spin 6-7 revolutions with a decent flick of the wrist, as stated it just abruptly stops, no shaft play and there is only assembly lube in the journals. I'm assuming once its primed it will spin a little more since the lube is a little thicker than oil.

There should be no noticeable drag on a dynamic seal turbo. The only turbos that had drag when spinning freely are those with a carbon seal on the compressor side.

The fact that you need to loosen the nut to get it to spin freely tells me something is majorly wrong.

After tearing it back apart it stopped binding up when tightening the compressor wheel, gonna try to run it more today.

The fact that you need to loosen the nut to get it to spin freely tells me something is majorly wrong.

I believe the wheel not spinning freely could be due to poor machining on the rebuild kit that I bought... My luck

Update: Drove the car about 10miles came home and checked the wheel, spins like a dream! Feels completely normal now! So far so good, no smoke and spools by 3600!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back