The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

BAE HX40 Monster 40.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken_eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 11, 2007
Utica, Ohio
Did you get it? Hows it workin out?

Its funny you brought this thread back up. I decided to hold off on upgrading for a while and focus on other parts (cams, SD etc.) This week my 6 blade started smoking quite badly so im once again looking into these very hard.

Here are my only reserves so far,
1. quality
2. Small turbine with large compressor
3. Spool/power transition
4. How much of a drop in peak power due to turbine size

Im looking into other options right now in the 67mm range, and would like to stay with a t3 a bit longer but for the price this might be worth a try.

Its funny you brought this thread back up. I decided to hold off on upgrading for a while and focus on other parts (cams, SD etc.) This week my 6 blade started smoking quite badly so im once again looking into these very hard.

Here are my only reserves so far,
1. quality
2. Small turbine with large compressor
3. Spool/power transition
4. How much of a drop in peak power due to turbine size

Im looking into other options right now in the 67mm range, and would like to stay with a t3 a bit longer but for the price this might be worth a try.

1 quality- i agree and am concerned since no one uses this

2.the compressor is only 2mm larger i wouldn't worry about having a larger compressor with a smaller turbine FP does this ALL THE TIME.

3.i dont see spool being any slower, again it's only a 2mm difference but i bet the top end would be similar tp the 3586HTA (in my mind)

4- probably no drop in peak since it's a bigger compressor.

Your looking for a new 67mm turbo?? Or a 67mm compressor for the holset? Cause i havent seen one of those. Ive been contemplating switching to an FP3794

The one i linked is a 67x99mm compressor (hx50) chra that uses an hx40 turbine wheel so its a direct swap with a 40s turbine housing.

The one i linked is a 67x99mm compressor (hx50) chra that uses an hx40 turbine wheel so its a direct swap with a 40s turbine housing.

You use an hx50 chra with an hx40 turbine and a hx50
Compressor? That doesnt sound right have you seen the bearing size difference between the hx52 and 40? Big difference the shaft would be loose in the larger chra.

"This unit fits into stock HX40 Turbine Housing and all components are HX50." Take from that what you will, They dont give much info except inducer/exducer sizes.

I have the 62mm compressor and housing on a 12 blade, .55ar exhaust setup. I cant give any hard data right now because I ran out of fuel before I could really do much but...

Ive been through the 56mm billet, 60mm 8blade, and the 62mm. Spool on the 62 is about 200 rpm slower than the 60 on third gear pulls, and the 60 was about 300 slower than the 56. I am using a cyclone intake which chokes down the 62 pretty hard obviously since it doesn't spool till 5k-ish and I really don't feel like its providing enough down low to justify keeping it, but like I say I haven't pulled enough data to make any concrete decisions yet.

I went 11.5 at 125 on the 56mm at 30 psi about a year ago. Last time I went back to the track I was on the 62 at the same psi. I went 11.5 at 125 again but I lost 8 mph in the 8th. I assume it was from spinning but honestly I have no clue. I feel like the 62 really pushed the powerband a lot farther to the right than I anticipated and I can't rev out far enough to really make use of its powerband due to the fact that I have stock springs.

As far as quality goes the wheel feels the same as my 8 blade holset cast. It looks to be of the same quality and it is similar in weight. The housing feels lighter and cheaper for sure. Its not a machined holset housing as far as I can tell. IT actually fells like they cast them themselves, but that's not to say its of bad quality, it just doesn't feel as sturdy as the oem ones. Then again does it really need to be sturdy? I feel like the purchase is worth 200 dollars if your rebuilding a core for sure, but I wouldn't look to it as an upgrade. If I'm not mistaken I've read online it really doesn't flow more than the 60mm so its basically a loss in spool.

I would be more than happy to go into more detail once I have hard evidence, but that will be a month at the soonest. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

"This unit fits into stock HX40 Turbine Housing and all components are HX50." Take from that what you will, They dont give much info except inducer/exducer sizes.

Okay thats different from what you said, an hx50 in an hx 40's HOUSING

Guess I'm better off with a 3794 with FP's new billet CHRA. but first? 2g hx40 record to be had on the oem billet 7 blade 60mm and 12 blade turbine in .70AR

The monster 40 will bolt up directly in to an HX40 exhaust housing. It uses a big shaft like the HX50 so all the bearings and seals are the same as HX50, the compressor wheel is the same as HX52 67mm/98mm. The exhaust wheel is a 10 blade HX40 size 76mm/64mm which will flow more then your standard 12 blade HX40 due to less blades. So if a guy wanted to upgrade to this set up from and HX40 all he would have to do is use the HX40 exhaust housing that he already has.

I spoke with Bob earlier today and he said that he sold few of those turbos already and he is waiting to get some results. Most of them went out to diesel guys but he said he has a 2jz guy trying one out and a guy with SR20 engine, he should have some results soon. The chra with the compressor cover will cost you 595+shipping but he said that if there are few guys that are ready to try this turbo out either on a dyno or the track and provide some videos with results he will give them a better price.

My guess this turbo should make about the same power as HX52, I don't favor the fact that the compressor wheel is bigger then the exhaust wheel but FP makes this kind of wheel combination all the time and their turbos make good power. If I didn't have the HX52 on my car already I would try one of these out myself. It would have been much easier to just bolt this chra in to my bep .70 housing them to do bunch of fab work to bolt up the HX52.

What people are you talking about :) I might be wrong but as far as I know I'm the only one who has done that and the .70 BEP housing that I machined is on Tristen's car (aka dsmcurse)

Well i have the ability to do it and would consider. Lol it's a great idea man is what I'm saying.

Fixed :)

Alex you were actually the guy i was hoping would jump in here. Im assuming you talk to bae's guy fairly regularly so keep us updated on the other guys results if you could.

Im once again being pulled away from buying a turbo because i believe my manifold is making too much back pressure and causing me to push coolant.. Waiting on a quote for a top mount and if its beyond my budget ill order this.

I'm close to experimenting with making a top mount or two
Lmk how it goes, might take one off your hands.

That is 100% not the problem.

I would normally be the one saying what you just said but im quickly running out of ideas, feel free to pm me and ill discuss my thoughts.

I also remember someone on the link forums finding the same problem, ill see if i can dig up the link.

Anyways back to the holset.

There's no way exhaust pressure is the issue. Compression alone is in the 150-200psi range, and combustion pressure can reach 1,000+.

Alex you were actually the guy i was hoping would jump in here. Im assuming you talk to bae's guy fairly regularly so keep us updated on the other guys results if you could.

I talk to him here and there, but once he has some results I'll be sure to share it with you guys.

Im once again being pulled away from buying a turbo because i believe my manifold is making too much back pressure and causing me to push coolant.. Waiting on a quote for a top mount and if its beyond my budget ill order this.

Who told you that your manifold is causing to much back pressure and that's why its pushing coolant? If you're pushing coolant then its most likely the head gasket. If its pushing coolant only when you're in boost then you might be able to fix that with just tightening your head studs a bit more. I've seen few people do that with success but that don't mean it will work in your case.

What did you torque your head studs to?
If you have regular ARPs I would just retorque them to like 110 and if that fixes the problem then you got lucky. If you're still pushing coolant then its time for a head gasket job.

I looked through your profile pictures, I'm assuming the manifold your talking about is the one that's in your most recent picture. Honestly I don't see that manifold being a problem. I've seen a DSM make 500 whp with that same manifold running HX40. It's a good manifold for the money but of course a custom built one, if properly built would be better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back