The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

TD05 or TD05H?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinbassplyr

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2010
Waterford, Michigan
I tried reviving an older post with this question but I think the thread might have been to old for anyone to notice it. I know I want s TD05 20G, but I can't decide if I should get the TD05 or TD05H version. I've read a few articles on the difference between the two but still don't completely understand them. All I really got was that the "H" version flows better at higher rpms but you loose low/midrange power because the fins aren't as aggressive. I want the 20G to be a quick spooler but not to the point where the power drops off at 6K (like a 14B with a 6cm housing). Before all the E316G people chime in, I know you can "allegedly" get 350AWHP with an E316G but it's more difficult to do and, in most cases, you're maxing out the turbo which means quicker wear and more chance of failure and on top of that at FP the E316G is MORE expensive than the 20G (go figure). So if anyone can provide guidance on either version of the XX05 20G I'd really appreciate it, thanx!

Everybody uses a TD05H. I've never even seen a TD05 turbine wheel. Some people just forget and leave the out the H on thier advertisements.

The 14b uses the TD05H, would you really want a smaller turbine wheel than that mated to a 20G compressor?

No, but that's why I asked. The articles I read had limited info on what the exact differences were and so I just wanted to clarify everything before spending that kind of money. And I know there are people here who have their head on straight, know the facts and give fairly prompt responses. This is why I'm SO glad DSMtuners exists!

I know I want s TD05 20G, but I can't decide if I should get the TD05 or TD05H version.
You should probably get a TD05H 20G considering a TD05 20G doesn't exist....at least not in the DSM platform.

You should probably get a TD05H 20G considering a TD05 20G doesn't exist....at least not in the DSM platform.

Actually in a PM from a member here I was told that TD05 is only necessary/used when applying to a Starion. So they do exist...but not applicable in my situation.

Actually in a PM from a member here I was told that TD05 is only necessary/used when applying to a Starion. So they do exist...but not applicable in my situation.
....which agrees with what I said- not in our platform.

The TD05 turbine has the same size inducer but a 1.7mm smaller exducer. Being that all DSM bolt-on turbine housings are cut for the 49.2mm exducer of the TD05H; you cannot put a smaller turbine where a larger turbine is supposed to be and expect it to work.

....which agrees with what I said- not in our platform.

The TD05 turbine has the same size inducer but a 1.7mm smaller exducer. Being that all DSM bolt-on turbine housings are cut for the 49.2mm exducer of the TD05H; you cannot put a smaller turbine where a larger turbine is supposed to be and expect it to work.
Which is why I asked because I wasn't sure. There wasn't enough "readily available" info in tech write ups or by searching through this forum so I just wanted clarification. While this isn't my first project car, this is my first turbo car and first DSM. So all the little details like TD05 or TD05H can fall through cracks and I just want to build it right the first time and not be cussing, swearing and complaining about having "break-all-the-time-10-second-car-itus" because I missed something. I wanna be one of the guys giving DSM's a good wrap, not a bad one! :D

Which is why I asked because I wasn't sure. There wasn't enough "readily available" info in tech write ups or by searching through this forum so I just wanted clarification. While this isn't my first project car, this is my first turbo car and first DSM. So all the little details like TD05 or TD05H can fall through cracks and I just want to build it right the first time and not be cussing, swearing and complaining about having "break-all-the-time-10-second-car-itus" because I missed something. I wanna be one of the guys giving DSM's a good wrap, not a bad one! :D

TD05H 20g is a very surprising turbo - people will think it's a 14b/16g and will pack a pretty hard punch - my car surprises most people =)

I tried reviving an older post with this question but I think the thread might have been to old for anyone to notice it. I know I want s TD05 20G, but I can't decide if I should get the TD05 or TD05H version. I've read a few articles on the difference between the two but still don't completely understand them. All I really got was that the "H" version flows better at higher rpms but you loose low/midrange power because the fins aren't as aggressive. I want the 20G to be a quick spooler but not to the point where the power drops off at 6K (like a 14B with a 6cm housing). Before all the E316G people chime in, I know you can "allegedly" get 350AWHP with an E316G but it's more difficult to do and, in most cases, you're maxing out the turbo which means quicker wear and more chance of failure and on top of that at FP the E316G is MORE expensive than the 20G (go figure). So if anyone can provide guidance on either version of the XX05 20G I'd really appreciate it, thanx!

I think you are talking about the TDO6 and TDO6H wheel - Both are used in 20g's. I used to run a TDO6H 20g and it didn't seem to be too laggy IMO. From what I've gathered, it's not really worth running the TDO6 turbine when compared to the TDO6H. The TDO6 has almost just as much lag as the H but the H will outflow the TDO6 up top.

I switched to a TDO5H 20g and it spooled almost instantly like a 16g but had a little bit more up top, not much, but a little.

Edit: I trapped 118mph on my EVOIII 16g and I trapped 122mph with the TDO5H 20g. Nothing else changed on the car, so the 20g definitely made more power up top. I never had the chance to run the TDO6H at the track.

Last edited:
TD05H 20g is a very surprising turbo - people will think it's a 14b/16g and will pack a pretty hard punch - my car surprises most people =)
When I get it installed I think I might try and get away with telling people it's only a 14B LOL :p

So would this turbo be consider a NON H turbo?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So would this turbo be consider a NON H turbo?

I can't tell by looking at that picture, nothing seems to specify it's one or the other. The best way is to measure the inducer and exducer on the turbine wheel.

Here you go:

TDO6 Turbine Wheel:
Inducer - 65.1mm
Exducer - 55.2mm

TDO6H Turbine Wheel:
Inducer - 67.3mm (2.649")
Exducer - 58.8mm (2.314")

TDO5H Turbine Wheel:
Inducer - 49.02mm (1.930")
Exducer - 55.88mm (2.20")

Below the volvo, its says "TYPE: TD05-12B"

Gotcha! I couldn't tell with the glare in the photo, but I see it now. :thumb:

Its a small turbo but i still havnt figured out what i will use it on. thinking about talking a buddy of mine to install it on his 2002 kia rio 1.5 DOHC MI-TECH

I have run across lots of early Starion TD05 that were actually 2.220 instead of 2.200 at the inducer, I think somewhere in the early 90's the TD05 may have undergone a print change.

Im with you on this! I have the supporting mods to run the crap out of a 5H with E85, but im not sure if I should just go with a 6H. Well in my case since I love FP its either the 68HTA or the Green, Im just waiting on another sweet sale like the one at Christmas so I can get the manifold with it!!!! Ive been racking my brain for at least 2 months now with this decision. Good luck!

Im with you on this! I have the supporting mods to run the crap out of a 5H with E85, but im not sure if I should just go with a 6H. Well in my case since I love FP its either the 68HTA or the Green, Im just waiting on another sweet sale like the one at Christmas so I can get the manifold with it!!!! Ive been racking my brain for at least 2 months now with this decision. Good luck!

I'd say stick with the TD05H until your ready to go bigger. The 68HTA is a nice turbo indeed but the TD05H 20g isn't far behind it. A better step up with be a HX35 or 40 perhaps. I'm moving to a HX40 here soon once my drain arrives and I figure out how to weld - I'm hoping my cams will make up for the larger turbos lag.

I'd say stick with the TD05H until your ready to go bigger. The 68HTA is a nice turbo indeed but the TD05H 20g isn't far behind it. A better step up with be a HX35 or 40 perhaps. I'm moving to a HX40 here soon once my drain arrives and I figure out how to weld - I'm hoping my cams will make up for the larger turbos lag.

Yea Im not much of "Big" turbo guy though. A 50 trim is about the biggest I would go in terms of turbo size. I've read a little about the Holsets and I dont think Im interested in those either. Do you mean the Blouch 20g-xt as far as 20gs go? I think as far as the turbos go, its either the 68 or the green for me, now I just need to make up my mind ha ha:aha:

Yea Im not much of "Big" turbo guy though. A 50 trim is about the biggest I would go in terms of turbo size. I've read a little about the Holsets and I dont think Im interested in those either. Do you mean the Blouch 20g-xt as far as 20gs go? I think as far as the turbos go, its either the 68 or the green for me, now I just need to make up my mind ha ha:aha:

Ahh - in that case, the HTA 68 definitely is for you. Not sure how the green compares but I've read nothing but good about the 68.

The flow difference isnt really that big from what Im lead to believe. Jus is talking to me about the bastard 20g for cost efficiency and apparently it has one hell of a punch. The comparisons im not sure about, but I definitely have alot more thread reading to do before I make a decision. You opinion is appreciated ziggo0!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back