Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Turbo System Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Turbo System Tech: 4G63 turbos, Intercooling, Boost Control, Wastegates, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 07:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 269
Classifieds Rating: 2

gt3071r whos got one?

I have searched and not found to much info on this turbo. There seems to be more info on the gt3076r.
How do you like the gt3071r? What times have you run and what mods.
I have heard that this is a good street turbo and should spool around 3500-4000 rpms.
I will be using dsmlink to tune. 1000cc inj basic bolt ons and fuel mods on a stock 7bolt.
Any input or thoughts would be great.

Thanks

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,593
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: pboglio is extremely helpful and trustworthypboglio is extremely helpful and trustworthypboglio is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Enjoy:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169...s-here-196553/

If you can wade thru the countless posts, there is some good info there. Its a 2.4 Liter but there are enough direct comparisons against the 50 trim and GT3076, etc. etc. to make an educated decision.

ATP TURBO - The Premiere Provider of Turbocharging Components has some direct dyno comparisons of the GT3071 & GT3076 on an Audi. They also have dyno comarisons of the GT2871 and GT28RS I used for baselines. From this I used to deduce the spool differences between them. IMHO both the GT3071 and GT3076 looked fairly laggy on their dyno.

I've been debating myself: BB 50 trim, 20g, GT3071, or GT3076. I'm leaning towards the BB 50 trim myself.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 914
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 4
Why 3071, not 3076. This is a relatively small turbo with onl 71mm exducer on the compressor wheel.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 269
Classifieds Rating: 2
Well I have had the turbo sitting around in my garage for awhile. I dont really know what to expect out of it. It says agp lr3 on it which I believe is a 3071r.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 162
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 3
Any more information on this turbo? I found one for $1,100 which seems like a good deal to me.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 794
Photos: 20
To me, the differences between the GT3071R and the GT3076R were minimal for the price. I was upgrading from a GT2871R so the differences between that and the 3071 were just a few HP. So for me, it was the 3076R. It is a bit laggy to full boost, but it is very linear. I can get possitive manifold pressure at any RPM I want and then it will spool up after that. Just a warning, it doesn't get a STRONG pull until past 16psi. Then it just goes crazy and wants to keep building boost. It's pretty fun

Nick
Visit BoostFrenzy's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-24-2009, 03:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 162
Photos: 3
From your profile it seems you have a stock 7 bolt? How is it holding up?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 794
Photos: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsubishi9908 View Post
From your profile it seems you have a stock 7 bolt? How is it holding up?
Good. As long as the engine is in good condition (good compression, no leaks, etc) then there is no problem running bigger turbos with moderate boost as long as the tune suites the car well. I'm only at about 18psi right now because of Cali 91 octane. I've yet to push it hard because my stem seals are going bad so I'm in the process of fixing that now.

Nick
Visit BoostFrenzy's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,523
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR7919 View Post
Well I have had the turbo sitting around in my garage for awhile. I dont really know what to expect out of it. It says agp lr3 on it which I believe is a 3071r.

If you were buying new, I'd say just go 3076 as its a better match to the 30R turbine wheel (ie use more of the 30R's wheels potential) & the differences in spool are probably pretty minimal. Now if you just have the 3071 laying around, sure go for it! There are just to many variables with different setups to say, this turbo will spool at XXXX rpm & make XXX hp but this turbo should fall somewhere inbetween the BB 50 trim & the 3076, which should give you a pretty good idea of what its capable of.