The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

The SMIC you sleeper guys dreamed of?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneFastEclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2002
Canton, Ohio
Well, I got a email today (as I am sure alot of you did as well) from Bullseye Power that stated they have released two new intercoolers to the DSM market. One being a FMIC and the other being a SMIC. The SMIC was tested with a 50trim variant turbo at 20psi. The inlet temp going in was 350F and coming out was only 100F with the ambient temp being 85F! On top of that it only had 1psi of pressure drop at 43lbs of airflow. I got a little curious about it and sent them a email to get a little more info. According to Nick at Bullseye, the intercooler will support a 50trim turbo to 25psi without heatsoak problems. Seems a little too go to be true. What you guys think of the concept? They even started a package where you can get the SMIC and a T04B turbo of your choice for only $999. Not a bad deal. Here is the link so you can see it for yourselves. http://www.bullseye-power.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=139

OneFastEclipse said:
Well, I got a email today (as I am sure alot of you did as well) from Bullseye Power that stated they have released two new intercoolers to the DSM market. One being a FMIC and the other being a SMIC. The SMIC was tested with a 50trim variant turbo at 20psi. The inlet temp going in was 350F and coming out was only 100F with the ambient temp being 85F! On top of that it only had 1psi of pressure drop at 43lbs of airflow. I got a little curious about it and sent them a email to get a little more info. According to Nick at Bullseye, the intercooler will support a 50trim turbo to 25psi without heatsoak problems. Seems a little too go to be true. What you guys think of the concept? They even started a package where you can get the SMIC and a T04B turbo of your choice for only $999. Not a bad deal. Here is the link so you can see it for yourselves. http://www.bullseye-power.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=139
was it tested with the bumber on?

That intercooler looks nice for a side mount, but you just cant beat the look of the front mount. I would like to hear someone's review of it on a daily driver.

i want to see how it looks like with the bumper and everything else on...

I'm all about the stock appearing look. I've got an Autometer peak/hold air temp gauge that I use to monitor charge temps. On the stock IC at 23psi on the 14b, I ran 12.4 @ 109, and charge temps were like 220F. With the Dejon Super SMIC, my charge temps dropped to 180F through the traps, and I've run a best of 12.19 @ 110 and best MPH of 111.3 so far. My plan is to maximize this setup, then do a water/air IC in the stock location in hopes of holding charge temps close to ambient through the entire pass.

They may be seeing 100F outlet temps, but for an entire 1/4 mile pass? Not likely. I'm usually fine until around 3rd gear, then the IC really heat soaks and the temps shoot up fast. It's not linear at all, it's very exponential.

They probably tested it by making a one-gear pull on the street and seeing where the temps hit. Not to say it won't improve performance over stock, but I doubt you'd see the temps they claim through a full pass.

OneFastEclipse said:
The SMIC was tested with a 50trim variant turbo at 20psi. The inlet temp going in was 350F and coming out was only 100F with the ambient temp being 85F!
Very curious data results when using Jeff Lucious's calculator . You get both a 50-trim that is 63% efficient at 20psi (22psi at the compressor outlet) and a 94% Efficient SMIC. A 50-trim is 76% Efficient well into the late 20s.. and the best Bar-Plate cores are only 85% efficient.

I smell something stinky at Bullseye :rolleyes:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I would laugh at anyone that spends $475.00+shipping on a smic. You can have a fmic for less(Custom pieced together with piping), Or a complete kit from a vendor for a small amount more. :toobad: I'm not bashing this vendor in any way, Being I had purchased a turbo off of them, For my previous car. I just honestly think that is an outragous price..

hmm.... I'm very skeptical on that one. I've always had good luck with Bullseye in the past, but I would need to see proof on this one.....

I'm running their 50-trim and I have SBR's FMIC (24x12x3.5) and I don't see cooling that good. With an ambient of 85*, I'm seeing 105-110* air temps at the TB. And I know I have more surface area than any SMIC that I've ever seen.....

hey folks, i justed to chime in real quick. The SMIC was done off of one of our old designs and i can tell you that it is a great intercooler for what it is. Guys you have to remember that not everyone wants or can afford an FMIC. We were the ones that originally sent this to the manufacture to be made up and i can tell you we wouldn't have gone through the ordeal of having them made if there wasn't a reason.

I can't tell you how many SMIC core we have sold over the past couple of years. Lots of people just want something to take advantage of their 16g or something similarly sized. Now i personally do not recommend running 20psi on a 50trim with this but if you have a big16 or something and want something simple and affordable this is a great value.

Here are a couple more pics

I decided to compare the core to that of other manufacturer's SMIC cores to see how much better it is. Bullseye measured it in millimeters for which reason I don't know. I converted their figure to inches below.

Dejon Tool SMIC - 9.5" Wide, 9" High, 4" Thick, 2.25" inlet, 2.5" outlet, Total Volume=342
ADFX SMIC - 8" Wide, 9" High, 4.5" Thick, 2.5" inlet/outlet, Total Volume=324
Bullseye SMIC - 8.5" Wide, 8" Tall, 4" Thick, 2.5" inlet/outlet, Total Volume=272
HRC SMIC - 10" Wide, Unknown height, 4.5" Thick, 2.25" inlet/outlet, Total Volume=270

All the cores mentioned above are Bar and Plate cores. It looks as if the Bullseye intercooler happens to be one of the smaller of the SMIC's available. The Dejon Tool SMIC has been out now for quite some time, why haven't people seen this kind of performance on those cores? Bullseye doing something special that I am not seeing?

I wouldnt think of buying a smic for that kind of $. Besides, I know it wouldnt cool my 60-1 very well. I prefer to have a fmic that would last longer than 3 stop light to stoplight blasts before it is too hot to touch. And also after buying a turbo mounting gasket and o2 housing gasket from them that didnt last much longer than warming the car up, Im not going to spend my money on other parts from them just so I can wonder if they are going to last.

1993eclipseGS said:
You can have a fmic for less

So that is automatically better?

I have seen reviews of the Supra SMIC that show it outperforming some FMICs.

But if you're into bling factor, I guess there's no beating an FMIC.

I find it funny......"comes polished at no extra charge". I think polished is a waste of money, I want a part to perform good. But why have a polished SMIC that you can;t see unless you arn't running your fender well then everyone see's it and kills the sleeper gig anyway. ROFL
Matt

folks why don't you understand that there are customers that do want and need a part like this. they aren't for everyone like i said before and since the product is good for what it is why keep trying to find a way to bash it? :confused:

prostreetdsmx1 said:
folks why don't you understand that there are customers that do want and need a part like this. they aren't for everyone like i said before and since the product is good for what it is why keep trying to find a way to bash it? :confused:
The people that are actualy looking to go that "crazy" and still trying to keep the stock look (mostliklely for street racing) would most likely be more into a liquid-to-air intercooler before this set-up IMHO. I am not bashing on this product let alone have I owen it, to be able to. I know there had to be some R+D behind this SMIC. And that is what attach some extra money on to new products onto the market. I just think the polished fact could have been left out to try to conserve on the price.
Matthew

prostreetdsmx1 said:
i see what you guys mean. that's why i said this is ideal for the 16g folks.

Yea, but so is a supra sidemount ... that's the point. One would be stupid to spend all this money on a smic like that when the supra sidemount is readily available and a lot cheaper. If the price was closer to $299 for that "sleeper" sidemount then I think people would go for it.

OneFastEclipse said:
ADFX SMIC - 8" Wide, 9" High, 4.5" Thick, 2.5" inlet/outlet, Total Volume=324

FYI I have one of the last ADFX intercoolers and it is only 8.5"x8"x4" They must have changed the size and one point in time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back