The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Idle question (CAS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocCitySlayer

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2011
Rochester, New_York
A few months back I was trying to adjust my idle. I got the car to idle at a steady 1000rpms but the CAS was as far clockwise as it could go. My wideband reads a steady 14.2-14.9 when fully warmed up and starts up strong everytime. Now im just wondering what could cause the CAS to be adjusted so far all with the car idling so good? Can it be normal or is it a sign that something is really off?

My thought is since the CAS offers adjustable ignition timing, perhaps the engine timing is slightly off and the CAS is compensating. Now I don't mean like off a tooth or something wrong like that, but if the timing belt is a little "seasoned", and has stretched a little like they all will, or the gap between the hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner pulley arm has increased due to age, the CAS would adjust to compensate.

My thought is since the CAS offers adjustable ignition timing, perhaps the engine timing is slightly off and the CAS is compensating. Now I don't mean like off a tooth or something wrong like that, but if the timing belt is a little "seasoned", and has stretched a little like they all will, or the gap between the hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner pulley arm has increased due to age, the CAS would adjust to compensate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 2gs had set timing (unadjustable)?

Yes a 2G has non-adjustable timing. Unless you have a 6 bolt swap such as myself, then it would require the CAS from a 1G to have the ignition timing, fuel timing, and spark timing work properly together. Which engine is in your car? That knowledge will help out.

Yes a 2G has non-adjustable timing. Unless you have a 6 bolt swap such as myself, then it would require the CAS from a 1G to have the ignition timing, fuel timing, and spark timing work properly together. Which engine is in your car? That knowledge will help out.

Its the 7bolt with 1g head, 1g trottlebody, 1g intake manifold 272 cams. Other mods in profile

Attachments

• IMG_20120129_174557.jpg
    IMG_20120129_174557.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 85
Yep, 6 out got a 1G CAS. It's the round piece on the left rear corner of your engine behind the radiator cap/water neck.

Yea I know where it is ;)
I know how to adjust it and everything. I just wasn't sure why It would be adjusted so far and the car still idle steady
The bov vac is t-fitted to the MBC-Turbo

I'm willing to bet it's stretched enough then to have the CAS adjust that far. When you do get around to it, just be sure to replace the tensioner along with it ;) Save yourself the headache of not replacing them together.

So I ran my car yesterday and I took a short idle log. Did touch anything mechanical. My Wideband read 14.2-14.9 on this log. The car idled and sounded really good. The cas is still turned all the way clockwise thought. Heres the log, Also I realize the Isc its logging 0. My Tps is .61 I do know it should be .63. My rear o2 sensor volts seem pretty high, that also where I put the wideband as. Does this look Bad, good or needs messing with? Also What is the ideal voltage the altenator should produce at idle? Fresh 93octane, Fpr at 43psi or so,No boost leaks, still haven't compession tested, no CEL

Attachments

• log.2014.04.11-01.elg
    32.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back