The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Near pass emissions (log)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dxc545

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2011
Machias, Washington
So I just barely failed emissions In WA state on a car with cams and new magnaflow 3in cat. My CO levels are great and HC at cruise is also great, but I fail the idle portion 295 Hc at the limit of 220. The car is idling at 950 and noticed LTFT LO was a little high but was better the night before. Its so close to passing, do you guys think just the MAF needs calibrated a little more? Another thing I noticed, the cat has a burning smell. Could this also be throwing off my idle HC?

Attachments

• emissions.jpg
    emissions.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 73
  • failed emissions log.2014.03.10-01.elg
    108.8 KB · Views: 62
Ya got link. I've never messed with the fuel slider tab but they only work from 2000 rpm up so would I raise the afr from direct access table?

Alright so after a thorough look under the hood I had plenty of vacuum leaks, I got it all fixed except a small throttle body shaft leak at 10 psi. I leaned out my afr to 14.9 at idle and raised the timing to 7. I'll be idling at 950, does this tune look good for a emissions pass? Any other tips? :pray:

Attachments

• emissions tune log.2014.03.12-01.elg
    41.9 KB · Views: 49
Failed again! My hc at idle is still high. Its at 288, the limit is 220. I've fixed a couple vacuum leaks and I got it running leaner at idle afr 15.1. My catalytic still has that break-in smell maybe that's throwing it off.

Attachments

• emissions tune log.2014.03.12-01.elg
    31 KB · Views: 44
  • 20140315_130103.jpg
    20140315_130103.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 69
Remove timing, don't add it. Also, get down 1/4 tank of gas and add a quart of denatured alcohol. I passed here in tx by doing the alcohol thing and turning my cas all the way back. And I passed without a cat! Fresh plugs and oil could help too.

Failed again! My hc at idle is still high. Its at 288, the limit is 220. I've fixed a couple vacuum leaks and I got it running leaner at idle afr 15.1. My catalytic still has that break-in smell maybe that's throwing it off.

I dont know if this is an option but messing around with the tune on the emissions sniffer you could tune it to pass really quickly with less timing and maybe adjusting fuel/air ratio. I wouldn't go to much past 15 though, you could try going the other way and see what it does. also maybe try a lower idle?

I'll have to try that alcohol trick, but my fuel gauge stops working around half tank so it'll be tricky.

use the mileage, my gauge doesn't work at all. :p
It will stay at empty with a full tank then if i'm on a hill it will go to full or somewhere and then it starts creeping down/doing jumps down sometimes, 50miles later my gauge says E. :p

Do you guys have wavers out there for smog? Meaning if you fail the test 2 times then you go back with receipts for 150 dollars worth emissions parts "plugs wires ect.." then if it still fails they give you a waver. That's our system in pa at least.

Ya it has to be done at a authorized shop with $150 in repairs, then you can pass it that year with a signed form, which is bs. My car is close to passing I think so i'd rather spend another $15

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back