The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Got a Broken New Gates Racing Belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduran1220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
So this years Tax return I decided to make major maintenance maintenance maintenance!!! New HG, water pump, Timing and balance. Also tensioner bearings idler auto tensioner with a set ARP head studs not bad for a stock rebuild!
But receiving all my parts yesterday decided to check everything out and the Balance shaft belt was damaged.
How bad is this???

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-39-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-39-35.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-30.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-57.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-49.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-08-13-33-43.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 100
Personally I would get a new one since you're doing all that matenience. Just email whoever you got the parts from the pictures you took and they should send you a new one free. You could probably run it but there's no point in doing things twice.

Personally I would get a new one since you're doing all that matenience. Just email whoever you got the parts from the pictures you took and they should send you a new one free. You could probably run it but there's no point in doing things twice.

Your absolutely right I just read on another forum that a BS broke and it cause a chain reaction destroying everything in its path.

Or just do an "In car BSE"

Then you havs no BS belt to worry about, new or not

I had a gates belt come close to snapping due to unknown reasons, but sent it in and had it replaced.

You have to send it back to whoever you bought it from to get a replacement.

But I'm with bogus on this. Just do an in car bse.

well ether way you have to wait for parts to arrive at your door, unless you already have a b.s.e kit on hand.

if you prefer/must have balance shafts, call the company gates direct, and see if they will help you out.
Sooner you take care of this the better, the longer you wait on this the lower your credibility is with whoever sent it to you.

I received my package yesterday, i ordered myparts from a trusted vendor ExtremePSI....and there closed on the weekends. Gotta wait til monday
I haven't done any research on the BSE topic. Just mostly proper maintenance, some minor mods but nothing too crazy.
I do not know its benefits of the BSE.

There's no "real" benefits except peace of mind for having one less belt and pulley to worry about plus next time you do the timing belt is easier, you will have slight more vibration in cabin but nothing you couldn't get used to! Doing a BSE with the engine in car is a pita lemme tell you but doable. Get OEM parts specially the stab for the oil sprocket.

so I talked to extreme psi yesterday agreed to send me a brand new balance shaft belt
thanks everybody for give me some kind of background on this really big help
but now I have another problem to deal with...

My gates racing belt walks on my cam gears. Very slighly but i didnt do it before i changed the belt. I think the quality control isnt the greatest. I would send it back.

My gates racing belt walks on my cam gears. Very slighly but i didnt do it before i changed the belt. I think the quality control isnt the greatest. I would send it back.

The guys at extremepsi were cool about it. I told them what happened etc. Etc. They already sent me a new BS belt it should be here tomorrow. Good thing I checked the belts before I installed them....that would have been suicide.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back