The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

AEM Lambda vs. AFR readout

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Well, i burned up my wideband's sensor today and was figuring while I'm ordering a new one, i would go ahead and get my car a dedicated wideband instead of having the large unit taking up the entire glove box.

I was wanting the AEM since it's cheap and fairly reliable in readings. But it only goes to 11:1 AFR but says it will read to 10:1 in lambda. I thought lambda was a reading of 1.0volts and fluctuations above and below represented rich or lean and to what extent.

In this AEM setup what would be the difference in 11:1 AFR and 11:1 lambda since it says it will display both of those with that value being in range of each type of reading.

My current unit doesn't read lambda (or display it anyway) So if there's an advantage to it that's great and i may start using that value if it's more accurate, but i need to understand it the way AEM says it will read out

Also, who would have the best price and fastest shipping to Nebraska on the AEM unit?

EDIT:
The place i ordered it from said said there was no difference, but i find that hard to believe. But they also told me that the unit will read 10:1 in AFR on the digital read-out (which i confirmed through a friend that runs that gauge) and not on the LED's so that works for me, so i will be giving some feedback on that when i get it as in comparson to the one that i have which is just a labratory grade UEGO controller with digital readout. BUlky as hell but very accurate.

EDIT: # 2 - I forgot to add, this palce has free OVERNIGHT shipping on their AEM widebands for 2-3 more days they said. So if you're looking to buy one, they are about teh same price as most other import shops, but free overnight is hard to argue with.. this is their ebay store, i just called them and ordered one after asking a few questions
eBay Motors: AEM Uego Wideband o2 Controller 30-4100 w/ Bosch Sensor (item 140221451575 end time Apr-10-08 07:25:29 PDT)

My AEM reads down to 10.1 AFR's.... I believe the older ones only went to 11.1. I'm not positive though.

But what's the difference in the lambda vs. the AFR setting...example if you're WOT and it reads 11:1 AFR what does it read if you set it to lambda and put that face on it????

well, i guess we will all see after tomorrow. THe gauge is coming overnight and should be here in time for me to have it working and figured out before bed time. I found the AEM UEGO .pdf file on the net and learned how the lambda value is used and it even had info on the lambda of running other fuels from methanol, ethanol, propane CNG and more!!!!!!!! talk about cool, it looks like AEM is putting a lot more R&D into their stuff in the last 6-7 years compared to what they use to be (license plate brackets and crappy cam gears LOL )

Yeah any WB02 should read lambda for any fuel, but the only one that "outputs" the correct AFR to what type of fuel your running from what I have found is the PLX WB02.
Other than theirs being $200 rather than AEM's NEW pricing at $240ish.

Well, lambda is read in the correct terms and ranges around a 1volt scale +/- from .75 to 1.15.

One thing i'm dissapointed about is that the knob on the backl to change it from AFR to lambda doens'st have the little engravings or sticker that's shown in teh instructions to allow me to feel confident in changing it.

I love how fast this sensor warms up compared to my other one which is pretty much buly and made for dyno use. It has great accuracy but is slow when it comes to warming teh sensor because it does a calibration to free air if it detects free air, and if not then it has to sample from teh data banks for it's last free air calibration factor...This leads to abotu a minute warm up time to preform all it's self checks ( it also checks it's 0-5 and 0-1 outputs and gives baseline voltages for so many seconds at different AFR's for datalogging or stand alone calibration to reference voltage from

I could do without the blinky lights but what the hell, it's just something else to look cool at night :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back