The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New member with tech questions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon2gbuyer

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2009
Aston, Pennsylvania
Hey all, new to DSM but not to forums LOL. I am currently going to pick up my dsm on Friday from philly, I had a few questions for the tech pro's out there. There seems to be a little leakage from what im told is the turbo oil return line, it is currently not steel braided and it was suggested I get a steel braided line to help solve the issue. Does that seem right? also, where could I get one of those?

2nd issue, the transmission needs a little work, while driving in 5th gear the gear shift will move out of gear and into neutral, funny thing It only does it in 5th gear. that and it makes a terrible knocking noise like something is banging against a piece of aluminum or something. Any ideas?

3rd, Im looking to get FMIC piping, my buddy sold the FMIC off of his 05 SRT-4 neon, which looks to be a pretty easy fit for the talon, but piping im not really sure of. What diameter am I looking for so that i can start looking at piping kits?

4th and final question (for now anyway LOL) The oil pan has a huge dent in it and i want to replace it. Any ideas where I can find that particular type of oil pan?

Thanks all for the help!
Ben:aha:

1) The oil return line for the turbo should be a hard pipe and unless it is cracked new seals should fix the leak. If you would like a new return line I would recommend extremepsi.com.

SS return line - EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

2) The transmission will likely need to be rebuilt. Could be Intermediate shaft bearing. Would recommend not driving it like that as it could cause more costly repairs to be needed to the trans.

3) I think most FMIC use 2.5" piping.

4) If you need a new oil pan I have an extra I would be willing to sell, it is for a 7 bolt. don't know what you have. You can get a new one from extremepsi.com but they are $200.

Hey all, new to DSM but not to forums LOL. I am currently going to pick up my dsm on Friday from philly, I had a few questions for the tech pro's out there. There seems to be a little leakage from what im told is the turbo oil return line, it is currently not steel braided and it was suggested I get a steel braided line to help solve the issue. Does that seem right? also, where could I get one of those?

2nd issue, the transmission needs a little work, while driving in 5th gear the gear shift will move out of gear and into neutral, funny thing It only does it in 5th gear. that and it makes a terrible knocking noise like something is banging against a piece of aluminum or something. Any ideas?

3rd, Im looking to get FMIC piping, my buddy sold the FMIC off of his 05 SRT-4 neon, which looks to be a pretty easy fit for the talon, but piping im not really sure of. What diameter am I looking for so that i can start looking at piping kits?

4th and final question (for now anyway LOL) The oil pan has a huge dent in it and i want to replace it. Any ideas where I can find that particular type of oil pan?

Thanks all for the help!
Ben:aha:

1. Steel braided line is not needed. Depending on where it's leaking from, you either need new gaskets or new line, or both. Either way, you'll spend more money on a customized line that's not guaranteed to fit and has a smaller I.D. than stock.

2. Check motor mounts, cable shifters, etc. The knocking noise leads me to believe a bearing but you might be able to decrease the frequency of it by firming up the slop. Either way, I would have that tranny inspected. Is it factory?

3. 99% use 2.5" piping. But I would worry more about the rest of the car before I start putting parts on that would have almost no benefits.

4. I've knocked dents out of my pans. There is no reason to replace it if you don't need to. And if you're going to be doing stuff to the car where the car will need to be supported by the oil pan...well it's unavoidable. Bang it out instead.

Crimson, I got a glimpse of where it was leaking from. its basically the top hose fitting, where it connects to the turbo housing and the top of the line has oil just dripping from it. The guy has it held on there with a twist clamp which I think is the issue. Ill know more next week when I pick up the car. The guy says that one of the rear mounts needs to be replaced, but would that create the type of transmission issues i'm seeing? As far as I know the tranny is not original, the man said he replaced it like a year ago. Also, do you think It would make it down to my local tranny shop? the car is about an hour north, it would be mostly highway driving to get it here. During the test drive nothing really stuck out to me other than the 5th gear slipping, in which case you just re-engage into 5th and it usually stays there, which leads me to believe that I could get it home in 1 piece as long as I dont beat on it. Ideas?

Thanks for the help guys!

These cars have so much potential, but unfortunately are prone to breakdown if not constantly maintained.

Mine is a 1995. FWD tsi, newly installed 16g with about 10k miles on it, and a relatively new 4g63 with about 50k on it.

Ok so ive been doing some research and ive come back with more info about the tranny. Basically the gears are fine except for 5th gear and reverse. I cannot even get the car into reverse at the moment, and 5th gear still falls out by itself as well as moves when you press or release the gas. So im thinking rebuild time. Ive been looking at tranny kits from jackstransmissions.com and im thinking of doing this rebuild myself. Any pointers for a person who has never done a trans before? Or anyone interested in helping me with this? Thanks guys!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back