The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

HELP! Somethings with Tranny AWD lockup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattnGsx

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2002
Madison, Wisconsin
Last night driving home, Made a right turn, went through 1st gear 2nd, 3rd felt like I poped right out of 3rd, then i had total free play with the shifter. Felt like shifter cable snapped, though if I push hard towards first or second I can feal the transmission.

The car is stuck in its spot will not roll.
I can start the car pushing in the clutch, if i let out the clutch easy it just dies, the car doesn't even jolt or budge.
I've tried jacking both ends of the car up to try to push it, though it still won't move.

What realy sucks was the towing it! My dsm had to be dragged up on a bed, then had to be attached to a tree and dragged off!!!!

Anyhelp please!!!!!!!!!!!

-Matt

Did you look under the hood to see if the shifter cables are moving the shift levers on the transmission? If they move it's not the cables. Sounds like you broke the shift fork in the transmission and it's stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. Time for a tranny rebuild if it is.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Originally posted by 4pistons
Did you look under the hood to see if the shifter cables are moving the shift levers on the transmission? If they move it's not the cables. Sounds like you broke the shift fork in the transmission and it's stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. Time for a tranny rebuild if it is.

When i move the shifter it free floats but doesn't move the linkage on the tranny(too parts to the linkage shift linkage moves). Unless i try to jam it in 1st or second. Looks broke, but don't have a pic of it to compare it too. Shift linkage looks shinny on the tranny like i broke something? On the linkage on the tranny it looks like a pin goes through it? Though i don't understand why i can't put the clutch in and roll the car?

More info from anybody would be good, i don't wanna just jump to conclusions, my dsm cost me too much money as is!

Thanks,
Matt

i don't wanna just jump to conclusions, my dsm cost me too much money as is!
And it's going to cost you a ton if you don't learn the basics of its operation. Diagnosing a shift linkage problem is pretty simple.
When i move the shifter it free floats but doesn't move the linkage on the tranny
What does "free floats" mean? Lift the shifter boot. Is anything broken? Are the shift cables attached properly?
(too parts to the linkage shift linkage moves). Unless i try to jam it in 1st or second.
I've read that several times but don't understand what you are saying.
Though i don't understand why i can't put the clutch in and roll the car?
You said you can start the car, it should roll with the clutch depressed.

If you plan on keeping your car GET A SHOP MANUAL! Or at least the Manual on CD and study the operation and assembly of the different systems. That is the only way you'll know if it's broken or working properly. We can guide you through some things here but only if you already understand the basics.

^^^^^ dont be so harsh man.

Matt... if your gonna be home tonight ill come over and see if your linkage is ok. I redid the bushings on the tranny on my car so im sure if yours are broken or came off the tranny i can fix it for you.

If thats not it... im pretty sure its your transfer case.

Originally posted by zerofreez
^^^^^ dont be so harsh man.

Matt... if your gonna be home tonight ill come over and see if your linkage is ok. I redid the bushings on the tranny on my car so im sure if yours are broken or came off the tranny i can fix it for you.

If thats not it... im pretty sure its your transfer case.
Hey that would be cool.... Though my car is at my farm, not my house.

Its cool, at least Rick was trying to help, though he does't know obviously either.

When I said the shifter (STICK SHIFT) floats, I ment the SHIFTER FLOATS, HAS NO FEEL AT ALL! unless i try to JAM it into 1st or 2nd.
The shift cable is still connected to the Tranny on TOP, though doesn't look connected solidly, when someone shifts, it just spins around the Tranny linkage (UNLESS THERE TRYING TO JAM IT INTO 1st or 2nd)
An no the car doesn't move, budge, roll when the clutch is applied, it will only start!
An I have 2 books, and the DSM cd, thank you an there isn't crap in the DRIVETRAN section of the cd with the shift link connection, except for a Crapy drawing.
Thats why I posted this message! For help, not crape feedback on that I don't know anything. I was just hoping maybe this happend to someone else before, an they could help me out with a possiable solution. Other then buying a NEW TRANNY, sh1t i could have let Mitsu tell me that much. I feel that i have diagnosed my problem well. Maybe better questions could have been asked back at me to help better understand the situation. My problem still says the same as above.
Im not looking for a fued here either. Just help... thanks, Terry.

-Matt

Ill give u a call when i get off of work... either that or call my cell.

How was that harsh?? I asked you to clarify what you meant because it is not stated clearly. It also doesn't sound like you did the basic checks to diagnose the problem.

I'm not trying to fued with anyone but I can only help when I understand the problem, what it is causing and how far you've diagnosed it. I also have to try to get a feel for how competent you are by the way you present yourself. The statement "(too parts to the linkage shift linkage moves). Unless i try to jam it in 1st or second" doesn't present you very well.
Thats why I posted this message! For help, not crape feedback on that I don't know anything
Take a step back. Read my post. At no point did I insult you or state you didn't know anything.
Its cool, at least Rick was trying to help, though he does't know obviously either.
Yes, I was trying to help and no I don't know precisely what the problem is. I can only go by what is presented here, I don't know what your situation really is.

Well i looked at it.... what he means by the shifter floating is he can easily put it into the 3rd and 4th gear position (forward and back) and thats about it. It has hardly any resistance to the shift at all even though the linkage is hooked up to the tranny properly, and moved accordingly to the normal 3 to 4 shift. When you try and move the other axis to the shifter (left and right) to try and put it into 1st 2nd 5th or R it has a ton of resistance and barely goes in even when you force it.

The car will not budge... not in gear.. not in nutral.. not even with the clutch pushed in.

I believe that he locked his transfer case up and broke some stuff inside of the tranny. We looked under the car and the t-case was leeking from where the output seal is going to the tranny.

No recall there... the rear seal going to the driveshaft had no leaks at all.

It has hardly any resistance to the shift at all even though the linkage is hooked up to the tranny properly, and moved accordingly to the normal 3 to 4 shift. When you try and move the other axis to the shifter (left and right) to try and put it into 1st 2nd 5th or R it has a ton of resistance and barely goes in even when you force it.
That sounds like a broken shift fork in the tranny.
The car will not budge... not in gear.. not in nutral.. not even with the clutch pushed in. I believe that he locked his transfer case up and broke some stuff inside of the tranny
I would agree it sounds like a locked up Xfer case. But didn't he say he was driving it at the time? The only issue then was that the shifter didn't feel right and it wouldn't go into gear.

The first thing I'd do is drop the Xfer case and try to isolate what is locked up. Sorry, this one sounds like there isn't an easy answer.

Ok I fixed my car, and came up with the solution. New Motor, tranny and transfer case :thumb: Boy was it a bi*** to do.
Though anyways... The transfer case and tranny both locked up. I never broke the fork in the tranny either so something else went in the tranny. You could easily move the fork and throwbearing by hand while it was connected, just like it did in the shifter.
The transfer case also siezed, no fluid. I must have just got lucky with them going out at the same exact time.

-Matt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back