The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

mmcd logger cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is what I did...

Following this schematic I bought an enclosure to house the circuit...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's very simple to make the cable. My advice would be to test your setup using alligator clips and jumper wires to make sure it works before soldering anything - but its up to you...its a slam dunk job.

My pictures are attached...

Another note: Picture of plug....If you have access to a junk yard and are lucky I found a female plug that connects directly to the OBD port. It was in the wiring harness directly above the fuse box in a 93 TSi. It was hit or miss though...Some 93s had the needed '3x2' plug...others had the '2x2' plug which are no good. Luckily I was able to find 2 of 'em so no more issues with the connections coming loose during runs and or shorting out :thumb:

The cable was built using parts found at any Radio Shack. In all I spent under $10 to make the cable...

I thought about doing a writ-up on this to replace the 'ghetto cable' thread found in this post: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203316 Thoughts???

Attachments

• DSC01377.JPG
    DSC01377.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC01378.JPG
    DSC01378.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC01379.JPG
    DSC01379.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC01380.JPG
    DSC01380.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 490
  • DSC01416.JPG
    DSC01416.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC01419.JPG
    DSC01419.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 489
Last edited by a moderator:
Props to you weaselhack. That looks awesome I would do a right up if I were you. Thanks for the great pics to. Man I can tear your car apart and put it back together(ASE certified mechanic for 10 years) but My circuit board skills suck. Can you give me some numbers from the board that you used. If not I can probably print the pics and they can figure it out at radioshack. Thanks again it looks awesome.:thumb: :cool:

91 Turbo Mitsu said:
Alright guys getting ready to make the cable. Do I need 10-ohm resistors(1 watt 5%tolerance) or 10k-ohm 1/2 watt 5% tolerance?:confused:

here's what you need from radioshack:

part # 276-1122 (diodes)
part # 271-1126 (resistors)
part # 276-1538 (Crimp-Type D-Sub Connector *9 pin*)
female quick disconnects that work with 18 gauge cable
About 2 or more feet of 18 gauge copper cable
Any d-sub connector hood
electrical tape

that's all you should need to make a basic, cheap cable.

91 Turbo Mitsu said:
Alright guys getting ready to make the cable. Do I need 10-ohm resistors(1 watt 5%tolerance) or 10k-ohm 1/2 watt 5% tolerance?:confused:

Yes...10k 1/2 watt or 10k 1/4 watt will work just fine. Happy logging :thumb:

Thanks WeaselHack and THE REAL DEAL for all your help. I built the cable to WeaselHack's pictures and it looks great. I definitely need to work on my soldering skills(that was the hardest part for me)Hopefully it will work right . Thanks again guys and WeaselHack you should do a writ-up on your design. Travis

Thanks for the Kudos! When I have some time this weekend I will work on a complete write up for everything from making the logger cable to using the software and interpreting the logs. My only question would be - who/where do I submit it to once its complete?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back