The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

all wheel drive conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You could use some of the parts but you will still need a 2g car for some major parts. Here is a basic list of what you will need.

-entire rear subframe from an awd 2g
-awd tranny
-transfer case
-all four axles
-rear suspension set up
-2g awd gas tank
-drive shaft
-all four axles
-2g awd exhaust
-2g awd exhaust hangers, they will need to be welded to the bottom of the car
-2g awd rear subframe bolts that hold the subframe to the unibody.(the fwd ones are shorter. You will need to cut a square out of the sheetmetal in the hatch area above each bolt in order to get the fwd ones out and the awd ones in.

Everything besides the exhaust hangers and the subframe bolts are a complete bolt on affair. Good luck you will deffinately need it.

98eclipseRS said:
You could use some of the parts but you will still need a 2g car for some major parts. Here is a basic list of what you will need.

-entire rear subframe from an awd 2g
-awd tranny
-transfer case
-all four axles
-rear suspension set up
-2g awd gas tank
-drive shaft
-all four axles
-2g awd exhaust
-2g awd exhaust hangers, they will need to be welded to the bottom of the car
-2g awd rear subframe bolts that hold the subframe to the unibody.(the fwd ones are shorter. You will need to cut a square out of the sheetmetal in the hatch area above each bolt in order to get the fwd ones out and the awd ones in.

Everything besides the exhaust hangers and the subframe bolts are a complete bolt on affair. Good luck you will deffinately need it.

Nope. the exhaust hangers bolt in. The only welding that needs to be done is to the drive shaft bracket. Also all the rear control arms are the same just the hub is different. I've done this conversion 3 times now. Not hard but, very time consuming. Good luck to you Sir.

What about using a n/t 2.4 spyder and doing the swap? Those can be had for cheap and the engine is the same orientation as the 4g63 so you could esentially build a 4g64 awd turbo spyder. Any thoughts on that?

1fast97gsx said:
What about using a n/t 2.4 spyder and doing the swap? Those can be had for cheap and the engine is the same orientation as the 4g63 so you could esentially build a 4g64 awd turbo spyder. Any thoughts on that?

Has been done many time.:thumb:

Here's a tip to anyone that plans on attempting such task.You need a AWD starter plate/spacer that goes between the engine and the tranny. With out the Awd plate the starter wont fit. Every tech article on FWD to AWD conversion fails to mention this part.

I have the same question...my friend has a 93 laser fwd and I have a 92 laser awd donner and he wants to make his awd with my parts...what problems can I expect?

gurmanator said:
I have the same question...my friend has a 93 laser fwd and I have a 92 laser awd donner and he wants to make his awd with my parts...what problems can I expect?

I can only say what's needed for a 2g AWD conversion. I'm sure 1G AWD conversion is also possible but, i won't speculate on that. Why not just swap the engine over to the 92 AWD laser?

gurmanator said:

No its not possible, well... its possible but its won't be just a bolt on affair like on a 2g. With 1g's the rear half of the car is completely different between awd and fwd. You could do it but it would far surpass the cost of just buying an awd 1g.

DSM BEEYACH said:
I can only say what's needed for a 2g AWD conversion. I'm sure 1G AWD conversion is also possible but, i won't speculate on that. Why not just swap the engine over to the 92 AWD laser?
my car was a roll over and his is all done up nice but thanx.

yup Talon = Eclippse. Both = DSM. SAME engine, chassis, interrior, everything except headlights, tailights, and bumper covers oh and sideskirts! Talon sidskirts are the ownz :thumb: Im looking to do the swap too, picked up my 2G FWD for 3K when a 2G AWD would be around 7K to 5K. I've read that on the non spyders its a little harder and not all bolt on with a lot of fab work and the spyders are basicly bolt on. Can someone speculate on this?

No fab work needed at all. Just some bolt you need to relocate(you need to cut holes in the sheetmetal. and remove the driveshaft brackets from the awd car and weld them to your fwd chassis. The only other non bolt on part of it is where you have to solder some wires for the fuel pump assembly. None of the work is very hard its just ALOT and I mean ALOT of work. I am almost finished with mine as we speak.

sonicnofadz said:
Sell your car and buy a GSX. You will save both time and money.

You may save time by buying a gsx but if you do the swap yourself that's when you end up saving money. 2g fwds are going for rediculously low amounts of money. Where as stock awds are going for closer to 10k. So you buy your 2g fwd for 3k pick up a wrecked awd for 2k do the swap yourself maybe spend another 500$ on random shit and you are ahead quite a bit of money.

Wait, what is easier about the spyder conversion? I'm sorry to be dense here.

98eclipseRS said:
You may save time by buying a gsx but if you do the swap yourself that's when you end up saving money. 2g fwds are going for rediculously low amounts of money. Where as stock awds are going for closer to 10k. So you buy your 2g fwd for 3k pick up a wrecked awd for 2k do the swap yourself maybe spend another 500$ on random shit and you are ahead quite a bit of money.

10k for a 2g awd? Right...I see 95 GSX's going for 5k or less on autotrader all the time. Do yourself a favor and sell your fwd. Even if you successfully do the swap, the chassis still won't be as stiff as the 2G awd, the whole thing will be just a big hack. You will save both time and money buying a GSX, and your car won't be a ghetto-fied 2G FWD chassis.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back