The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

EBAY $675 turbokit installed on a 1G (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newlogics

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2002
San Leandro, California
Before reading further, please understand that this thread is NOT to voice your opinion on how bad you think the ebay kits are. This is simply to show what it takes to install one on a 1G, and shortcomings to expect.

Customer car: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI (AWD)
FMIC: EBAY Core 12X24X3
Turbo kit: XS power turbo (T3), Exh. Manifold was switched for OBX tubular because XC power manifold had runner inlets smaller then stock ports on the head.
Waistgate: Tial knock-off (came without valve seat ring)
BOV: HKS-knock off. Comes with no flange.

First, good sides:
EBAY FMIC will fit WITHOUT cutting bumper support (Provided AC is removed)
Kit price beats prety much anything anyone can offer at $675 for Turbo, WG, BOV and FMIC.
That's about it.

Bad sides: Turbo kit doesn't come with O2 housing, so custom has to be made.
Waistgate came with no valve seat ($30 from RRE when bought separately)
BOV doesn't come with a flange
Reliability of turbo is questionable
fitment leaves more to be disired
exh. mani. is trash.
OBX exh. manifold touches hood when closed.
Waistage flange on OBX manifold was warped to crap and needed to be resurfaced.
Drv. side intercooler pipe requires complex sharp bend.

Now for the setup:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pictures of turbo setup off the car:

have you guys got the car up and running? if so how is the quality of the parts?

Car is up and running (has been for about a month now). So far so good. It pulls great and spoolup isn't that bad. However, it's still too early to tell if those knock-off parts are quality knock-offs. So far nothing has failed or leaked. We're keeping close tabs on the car.

We've just heat-wrapped the manifold, and removed a section of the hood frame to better clear the manifold. I'll snap more pics of 'aging' of the setup.

from the pictures, that doesn't look like a bad setup. As you keep repeating, time will tell the difference between real products and knockoffs. Hopefully your efforts won't be in vain. Enjoy and happy boosting. I can't wait to hear again about this thread in a couple months.

Looks good, I, too have been dieing to know about these ebay kits. The IC setup is pretty pimp. I wouldn't mind having one

For clarification, this is not my car. This is customer's vehicle. I'm not risking anything in any case, so my opinion about setup is based strictly on manufacturing quality, fitment and logevity.

To avoid possible confusion, IC piping is NOT part of the kit. Piping had to be custom-made for the kit.

One thing I'd like to mention, is that I'm extremely satisfied with those ebay FMICs. I've ran 4" version on my car for over a year now, and installed many of them on all types of DSM. I've closely compared the core to ExtremePSI 1G FMIC core, and for all I could see, the core was identical.
I'll post few more threads about mounting and positioning of those FMICs on other DSMs.

qwklil4 said:
Isn't that exactly what the thread starter ask you not to do? :rolleyes: :nono:

a n00b read the full post? hah, thatd be a first.

threads like these are great to weed out all the misinformation about low price parts quality. most just run their mouth about certain part when they have no firsthand experience with it.

i look forward to updates on this setup. :thumb: on teh welds.

A little update:

The car is back in the shop for unrelated work (rollcage install), so I had a chance to go over the turbo components to inspect them.

Wastegate: looks to be fine and keeps the dump closed well. No issues found.
BOV: well, who cares about that BOV. It's fine though.
Turbo: Small amount of shaftplay. I'd say almost the same as when it was new.

I'm still yet to inspect OBX manifold for cracks.

doesnt seem like that bad of a setup from the looks of things in the pics...

guess only time will tell

OP, what's this core's actual brand name or eBay seller?

(Contrary to very popular belief on DSM boards, eBay is not a brand, it's an auction house. The best way to avoid the usual ebay-is-junk dialog is to call things what they are, not "eBay core".

We do ourselves a disservice when we insist on calling things bought online by the site's name and not the product's name. A Ferrari is a Ferrari; an OBX is an OBX.)

Jon Lane said:
OP, what's this core's actual brand name or eBay seller?

(Contrary to very popular belief on DSM boards, eBay is not a brand, it's an auction house. The best way to avoid the usual ebay-is-junk dialog is to call things what they are, not "eBay core".

We do ourselves a disservice when we insist on calling things bought online by the site's name and not the product's name. A Ferrari is a Ferrari; an OBX is an OBX.)

That was very umm... educational. Thank you.

Really though, everyone calls it 'Ebay Core' because ebay is flooded with this core, and most importantly, actual brand is unknown. I've seen it branded under several different names (Mishimoto, OBX, etc..) , but no one knows the original manufacturer. (which is probably somewhere in Asia, stamping 10 of them for a dollar). Ether way, it's not important, because EVERYONE knows what you mean when you say "ebay FMIC", and that's what matters.

I can tell you from experience I bought one of those wastegates and compared it to an actual tial and a huge difference in materials especially the diaphram the knockoff was just rubber the tial was a fabric impregnated material much stronger.

Booster2k said:
I can tell you from experience I bought one of those wastegates and compared it to an actual tial and a huge difference in materials especially the diaphram the knockoff was just rubber the tial was a fabric impregnated material much stronger.

I noticed that too, and frankly, that was biggest suspecion point for me. However, as I understand, if diaphragm breaks, original Tial diaphragm should fit it, and it would still be cheaper then original Tial wastegate.
At this point I'm eager too see just how long that rubber diaphragm lasts.

Newlogics said:
One thing I'd like to mention, is that I'm extremely satisfied with those ebay FMICs. I've ran 4" version on my car for over a year now, and installed many of them on all types of DSM. I've closely compared the core to ExtremePSI 1G FMIC core, and for all I could see, the core was identical.
I'll post few more threads about mounting and positioning of those FMICs on other DSMs.

I agree, I have the exact same core as in the pics and have had no problems whatsoever. My piping doesn't look nearly as good though. AWESOME JOB, it looks great.:thumb:

I personally was lookingat getting one of those OBX Manifolds like yours before i got the ebo one. But I think they look frikin sweet and quality looks pretty fair from what i can tell from pics. Lets see the dyno numbers. Im curious as to how well the turbo performs. Keep us updated. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back