The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:p

Well I got this now, so I guess what would you reccomend in addition to it to keep me from detonation.

I say skip the 2g mani and go for an evo3/slowboy style one with a 7cm collector to match the bullseye housing. Unless you can port the 2g extensively, but from what I've heard it's hard to open it up that much.

Lots of good news today. Got my $295. refunded after 24 days. Got the JM SMIM and a good deal on a set of 950's I expect by tuesday. Hoping for a high 11 with the inj's before I store the car for winter. I know the motor was needing fuel as it would get a mini fuel cut even fuel cut had been removed through the chip. Had to back the boost down but will try 30psi again on pump with the 950's.
Also want to thank joeracer321 for his unending assistance along the way. Mark

Why is the sbr/evo3 manifold useless? Can you guys port the 2g's to match the bullseye?
I guess I'm in a shitty spot cause my compressor doesn't cut the mustard...

I can't speak for the SBR manifold but I did use the EVO3 ported by Buschur on Tym Switzer's advice when he was with Buschur. Worked great and I still use the ported EVO3 02 housing. Mark

Ok let me make myself clear, I just bought one of the knockoff oldskool sbr style manifolds from the speed factor, and it pretty much matches the bullseye gasket without porting. I've never held an evo or sbr mani I just assumed the sbr's got the same collector size and obviously no lip.

steel_3d said:
Why is the sbr/evo3 manifold useless? Can you guys port the 2g's to match the bullseye?
I guess I'm in a shitty spot cause my compressor doesn't cut the mustard...

There were plenty of years before we had EVO/SBR manifolds available here, and we just ported the 2G manifold to match the 7cm gasket. The 2G and EVO manifolds are identical except the size of the outlet and once ported are exactly the same, it just takes a bit more porting to get it to that point.

I've had a gate on the manifold, it sounds like crap, and I'd do it on the o2 housing if I had it to do over again. Taking all your wastegate gas from one cylinder isn't exactly a great idea.

I think the main reason we don't see dyno sheets for holsets is that people are afraid to go with something different at times. I will by dyno tuning mine once I get my MSnS all put together and installed and I rebuild my engine. I'll have just about every mod that you can have. Getting a SMIM JM Fab actually which is funny as sweet did to. Either FP2x's or FFWD's L2 cams. Either the DNP 44mm exhaust manifold or get a top mount manifold made here locally if I can find the right person to fab it up and build me a nice O2 Housing for it to mate up with my current DP. I'm going to go with a full T4 HX-40. Running alcohol injection. Just waiting for tax season to come along so I can start my build. Oh yeah and I'm going to sequential COP setup and getting away from wasted spark.

I'm hoping to have some 550+ HP dyno pulls with just the turbo. If I can afford it I'm also going to throw on a 200HP fogger nitrous system as well. Everything but Boost is going to be controlled by the MSnS ECU. I'm looking forward to seeing others timeslips as well as dyno sheets. I'm positive that once people see some good tuned time slips and dyno sheets that they will change their minds.

Also the Holset has must larger bearings that are next to impossible to kill. It does flow a lot and looks great under the hood. Every time I open mine for people it's the same result. Usually something like "OMFG that thing is F**king hugh!". And if you can get it for under $500 with all your lines it's a much better option IMOH.

ceedawg said:
Anyone have dyno's or time slips with the holset turbos? Is there also a link for these dyno's as well?I certainly cant find it anymore.

Just an update, we just got home from the track with the HX40. Went 11.53 @ 125.4 right off the trailer. Shift problems kept it from making another clean pass. This is on a stock 6 bolt, stock head, stock cams, stock intake, stock susp, fulll weight, all season Kuhmos, spinning through 1st and into 2nd, and short shifting the 2-3 shift at like 6k. The car is running 27-28psi, still learning as we go on the AEM. I can seriously see 10s on a full weight, stock intake/cams 1G with this thing! Anyone who's doubting it's abilities doesn't have a clue what they're missing. It's the most quick spooling, streetable big turbo I've ever driven on a DSM.

Steve93Talon said:
Just an update, we just got home from the track with the HX40. Went 11.53 @ 125.4 right off the trailer. Shift problems kept it from making another clean pass. This is on a stock 6 bolt, stock head, stock cams, stock intake, stock susp, fulll weight, all season Kuhmos, spinning through 1st and into 2nd, and short shifting the 2-3 shift at like 6k. The car is running 27-28psi, still learning as we go on the AEM. I can seriously see 10s on a full weight, stock intake/cams 1G with this thing! Anyone who's doubting it's abilities doesn't have a clue what they're missing. It's the most quick spooling, streetable big turbo I've ever driven on a DSM.
Wow your hx40 is doing lot with the stock 6 bolt. Which hx40 do you have the 58mm or 60mm? What kind of gains do you think you will see off of cams and smim?

Steve is sure doing great! I would expect cams and an SMIM to be good for .75 sec quicker times and like he said he is still tuning the system. Shifting 2-3 at 6k! I shift at 8k and he has more to make there as cams and SMIM will allow him to go to 8k with the proper lower end. Great job Steve and looking forward to more increases. Mark

spoolinawd91 said:
Wow your hx40 is doing lot with the stock 6 bolt. Which hx40 do you have the 58mm or 60mm? What kind of gains do you think you will see off of cams and smim?

It's the Pro 40 that Bullseye currently sells. The car belongs to my friend, I'm just helping with tuning the AEM. He short shifted the 2-3 shift because it was spinning through 2nd, figured if he went to 3rd it would hook up. We just fixed the shifter and it's working well now, there's a track rental on Wednesday, hoping to see low 11s or even 10s. He wants to do the cams and intake now, I want him to work on driving and maybe try 1-2psi more as it sits first. We'll see...

Steve is he FWD? Can you list what mods the car does have? I lack tuning as I am just using the MAF-T right now. I'm hooked on the holset and have the HX-35/40, kinda an oddball, not many out there, but joeracer321 gave me a good deal on it. I'll have 950's in this fall but the JM SMIM will have to wait until spring. Mark

The army uses this on a track vehicle, Fricken HUGE!

Attachments

• work 004.jpg
    work 004.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,393
Just another update, track rental was today. The trans/clutch/shifter is screwed. I think what's happening is the TOB or clutch is messed up, and it's not disengaging all the way. The car was starting to creep when staging and getting into any gear is nearly futile. Even in this poor state, it still managed to run an 11.5 @ 127 on the only semi-clean pass (still missed 2nd but recovered quickly). The 1/8th on that pass was only 97. The best 1/8th mph of the day was 99. This tells me that it's capable of 129-130 as it sits with a clean run. Not bad for a full weight car at 28psi. More updates to come once the trans is sorted out. :thumb:

Still good to hear! 11.5 is my goal but my tuning is poor to say the least. I am also running on pump. I got a set of 950's in but am still getting a lean "burp", like a mini fuel cut at 28+PSI boost. Backing the boost to 20psi cures that but the Holset isn't very happy at 20PSI in my ride. I will upgrade the filter to rail first but am not sure what filter would work with the line kit that SBR sells but I will ask.
I am not sure of the condition, age of the clutch tranny but I had a similar disengagement problem and the thing that solved it was welding 2 extra nuts onto the "C" bracket that the master cylinder rod threads into under the dash allowing greater adjustment. Everything I had was new and still had the problem. Thanks Steve, Mark

It sounds like you need tuning. Have you considered getting DSMlink or AEM? It makes a world of difference, I wouldn't even think about trying to set this car up with a piggyback setup. If you're only looking to run pump gas, consider a meth injection kit. It'll give you near-race gas octane levels for a fraction of the price. I bought a 5 gal. drum of Meth like 2 months ago and still have like half of it left. What wideband are you using? Are you able to log with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back