The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo/Exhaust/Creep/20+psi question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadillac2000

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2003
Athens, Georgia
Alright guys, when i first got evo316g i was getting alot of creep with my 3 inch dp and exhaust with no cat, so i got a cat and sure enough it cured my creep problem, but now i have an safc, datalogger, and FIC 660's and i was wondering i put my test pipe back on (which i heard will net a noticeable gain) will i get the same creep again even if i have my mbc set at 20+ psi all the time? thanks guys

If it was creeping to 20 psi and holding, then setting to 20 psi should be okay. Make sure your fuel, tuning and intercooling can support your boost setting before you boost that high.

it will creep to the same amount it did before you put the cat on.

yeah ive got all the supporting mods, 190, 650's, datalogger, safc, fmic, all the things for running high boost, just i dont really remember how much i was boosting because i hit fuel cut before i could get to redline when i went wot, i heard from super95awd that he had the same problem and then when he turned the boost upwards of 20 that he no longer crept and it held solid, because i dont wanna put back in my test pipe if its just going to creep again

Did you use a high-flow cat. or did you just put a stock one back on? I have had the same problem since I got my turbo back exhaust on, and figured putting a cat. back on there would cure it. How much boost are you running now, and is it holding steady? Any noticable loss in power when you put the cat. back on?

i just got a 3 inch catco off ebay for like 50 bucks and welded it in, and yeah it stopped the boost creep and i can hold any psi i want to all the way down to like 14 until redline with no creep, but yeah you'll feel a loss, just doesnt scream like it does with a test pipe on there, and i kinda miss the gaseous smell i got after exiting my car when i had the test pipe on :D

Chadillac2000 said:
Alright guys, when i first got evo316g i was getting alot of creep with my 3 inch dp and exhaust with no cat, so i got a cat and sure enough it cured my creep problem, but now i have an safc, datalogger, and FIC 660's and i was wondering i put my test pipe back on (which i heard will net a noticeable gain) will i get the same creep again even if i have my mbc set at 20+ psi all the time? thanks guys

Put the test pipe back and and you will find out. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Chadillac2000 said:
i just got a 3 inch catco off ebay for like 50 bucks and welded it in, and yeah it stopped the boost creep and i can hold any psi i want to all the way down to like 14 until redline with no creep, but yeah you'll feel a loss, just doesnt scream like it does with a test pipe on there, and i kinda miss the gaseous smell i got after exiting my car when i had the test pipe on :D
Thanks for the answers, and yeah I also love that smell at a stop light. :thumb:

yeah no problem, and my exhaust is custom made and welded together so putting on the test pipe would involve taking the downpipe back off and welding in a test pipe

yeah so i was hoping that I could find somebody that actually had this problem and how that worked out

Had the same setup. Mine would creep up to 20, set it to 20 with a MBC and it would stay there. The only time it would creep would be high rpm's in 5th...

alright thanks man how much would it creep in 5th and why do you think it didnt creep in the upper rpm's of the other gears, thats what i was wanting to hear, now that ive got two experienced dsm'rs telling me that it should work ill go for it but anybody else chime in if you have experience, as i wont be doing this til the weekend

The proper way to handle this issue is to put back the test pipe and port your turbine and o2 housing properly to solve your creep. Down grading your exhaust to solve creep is such a waste of free power.

i really dont wanna drop the whole turbo, hasn't anybody had this problem, i just want a yes or no answer? oh and on my 16g i have the 34mm flapper if that matters, and how do i safely port the area, i know there has been some confusion on what solves this problem and i cant seem to find the exact porting article that shows exactly what needs to be ported to not creep with an evo3

Chadillac2000 said:
i really dont wanna drop the whole turbo, hasn't anybody had this problem, i just want a yes or no answer? oh and on my 16g i have the 34mm flapper if that matters, and how do i safely port the area, i know there has been some confusion on what solves this problem and i cant seem to find the exact porting article that shows exactly what needs to be ported to not creep with an evo3
You don't need to drop the whole turbo, just drop the turbine housing from the center section. There are many threads about porting the turbine for boost creep, do a search on "boost creep" and you shall find. Here is an example but there are more if you search.

the guy in that post didnt even get his creep fixed by portin all that out, so i guess ill have to search some more, please somebody have had the same problem i did so i can just throw my cat back on there and be done with it

my evo creeps to 28+psi by 6000 rpms. You need to do one of two things. Get a tubular O2 housing, or put a tial38mm on there. That will take care or your creep issues if u get rid of that cat. also skip the 34mm thing. it is a waste of time and money.

i took all the precautions i could before i bought this, i invested money in an o2 eliminating rnr downpipe, ported turbo, 34mm flapper, and i definitely dont wanna run external, way too loud for my taking, so i guess turning up the boost doesnt help

all you can do is try it and see. Like I mentioned before, If your turbo creeped before, and you did nothing to solve the creep(fuel mods do NOT solve boost creep), its going to creep now.

When you swap back to the test pipe you will need to take proper measures to resolve the boost creep you will bring back. Unless you can run it at whatever boost setting it likes to creep to.

Chadillac2000 said:
i took all the precautions i could before i bought this, i invested money in an o2 eliminating rnr downpipe, ported turbo, 34mm flapper, and i definitely dont wanna run external, way too loud for my taking, so i guess turning up the boost doesnt help

You can have the external set up to be routed back into the DP. Thats what i have and i love it.

well to cut the creep down to under 20 would porting the divider away be useful, ive heard mixed opinions about how even though decreasing creep it also decreases flow?

I mean i have the 34mm flapper mod, and even a o2 eliminator, so porting the housing is outta the question, and ive heard that porting the divider just interrupts flow severly, im stuck...what do i do

Chadillac2000 said:
I mean i have the 34mm flapper mod, and even a o2 eliminator, so porting the housing is outta the question, and ive heard that porting the divider just interrupts flow severly, im stuck...what do i do

remove the cat and try it. If it doesnt work ditch the o2 eliminator and get an external gate. here's mine :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Alright nobody was really able to answer my question directly on here so I emailed Nate at Slowboy where I actually purchased the turbo from, and asked him if I put the test pipe on but ran 20+ psi would i have any creep, this was his response:

Chad,

If you have the fuel mods, the E16G can run and hold 19psi+ all day.
Running below this is the problem many DSMers run into. If you
re-install your test-pipe and set the boost at 20psi you'll be fine.

Nate
SBR

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back