The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

WTF is this stuff in my catch can?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
I have an 'oil' catch can installed in my car and I seem to be catching alot more than oil. I have a line ran from my valve cover to the can and another line ran from my new, un-modified PCV valve to the can. There is a breather filter on the top and a petcock valve on the bottom to drain it. I think some if it is water..... It seems to be seperating. It smells flamable, but I couldnt get it to light.....

Here's a couple pics - what could this stuff be?

(the puddle in the picture is about the size of a basketball - just for reference)

Attachments

• pix 320.jpg
    pix 320.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 675
  • pix 321.jpg
    pix 321.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 832
Has your car been around a guy car? Asuming your car is a girl. LOL
but no seriously it looks like some type of over heated grease and water not sure what it is, but it isnt good

It looks normal to me it's just moisture from the engine. Just looks like you have'nt drained it in awhile.

Depends on the outside temp and humidity. The moisture in the engine will go into the can as soon as the engine starts to warm up. Once in the can the engine heat cannot help burn it off as done normally. And of course theres going to be some oil mist mixed in. It looks to be mostly water(It's not pumping alot of oil out) so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mainegsxhick said:
you would be correct that is oil in the coolant. I would say its time to do a head gasket!
I highly doubt it is the head gasket. I know for a fact that I am not burning either of the two. Compression is perfect too. Plus that liquid would be green and my coolant would be getting lower.... Which it is neither. Nevertheless, I will be changing my oil and coolant in a couple days anyway. I dont think either are mixed, but I'll find out for sure in a few days.

I had the same thing in my catch can a few months back. Just hadn't drained it in a while, I agree with the moisture in the motor comments. I wouldn't worry about it if everything else seems good.

mine also, does it alot more with the PVC removed and going to the catchcan. alot of others out here see the same thing. And I know what your talking about when you say smells flamable. I almost shit the first time I seen it. Talked to a few locals and they already went thru this. Still no ill effects after 1.5 years, Well other than the smell if you stop at a light for too long. Dates hate that smell I tell ya, but not as much as running open down pipe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back