The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

RFL Recirculating? I DID. Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboDSM86

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
the whole reason i went through the work of recirculating the RFL was i got ripped off on my gm maf/translator and got the old version. i said screw it and used the money i got from selling it on something else leaving me with this blow off valve that was of course non recirculating. i had the idea to recirc it and didnt find any useful posts on here except for some fellow named KrazyKorean who had his recirc'd but i couldnt find any info on that. i went to home depot and got some shit that looked liked it work and heres the pictures. i leak tested it when i did this and had/have no leaks. i dont believe it would look too bad if the pipe was painted black. the sound of the blow off valve died down a lot but hey what do you expect from 1/4" thick rubber :) ?.

to you venters: i had this blow off valve in non recirculated for a while :nono: and this makes such a huge difference. as you can see by my profile i have a 16g w/supporting mods and wow this is the cats ass. im glad i went through the work to find this out. the car hauls so much more ass, turbo stays spooled w/shifts, no bogging, no bullshit. its totally worth the effort to do this if you dont have a blow through set up. if you have any questions feel free to ask and if there is enough interest i could do a full write up on it.

take it easy

eric

Attachments

• P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,729
  • P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,724
im lazy and wanted to be original :). i never thought of that also plus a lot of the people on the trader i encountered are people who i woudlnt want to really do buisness with.

great job man.. it also loosk like a clean job.. this should be referenced as a FAQ to recirculate this bov..

also its goodt hat others hear your testimonial bout venting and then recirculating..

I actually DO like that :thumb: Its a 'unique' setup. Thats why I love the DSM community so much, creativity. Oh, and if you go to www.escrow.com there is NO reason to be scared of doing business with people on the trader. If somebody doesnt wanna do business because you wanna use an escrow, then they're probably the people you're trying to avoid. How loud is that bov? :shhh:

thanks for the responses guys. i could do a write up on it sometime soon. it wasnt that hard at all with a little planning. put a few hundred miles on it already and have had no problems with leaks or anything like that!

Looks good, except those couplers look like there rubber, if they are then there going to melt, not super fast or anything but they will even in there location. Silicone is whats recommended.

I rocked those couplers for a long time. They do melt over a long period of time when on the turbo or before the intercooler. Otherwise, they're fine. Even if they lasted you a year, you could go years without touching the price of silicone.

I bet you anything those will never ever ever melt there.

The stock return is made of rubber. I suppose of you had a really big turbo pushing through a too small intercooler you might be significantly hotter than stock in that area, but you'd have bigger problems to worry about.

The RFL is horn shaped at the outlet, right? Is the hose clamp pressing down right on the rim of the horn? That must have been kinda tricky to get it to stay lined up and not slip off the rim while tightening the clamp.

jim97gst said:
The stock return is made of rubber. I suppose of you had a really big turbo pushing through a too small intercooler you might be significantly hotter than stock in that area, but you'd have bigger problems to worry about.

The RFL is horn shaped at the outlet, right? Is the hose clamp pressing down right on the rim of the horn? That must have been kinda tricky to get it to stay lined up and not slip off the rim while tightening the clamp.

sorry for the late response, ive been busy. the couplers are rubber and i dont plan on running this years so as for them melting im not too worried. like the other guy said for those 2.00 couplings i could replace those for 10 years for the price of silicone. the horn of the rfl is a big circle like you said. it fit well into the coupler and i pushed it up snug against where it downsizes. i put a band clam right around it and it works gravy. the horn is only maybe 1/4" thick and the clam i used is probably nearly 1/2" so it wasnt hard at all to get that to tighten down. everyday i hit boost i smile cause i recirc'd it :).

WTF that isnt the stock UICP is it? Because it sure does look like it. Anywayz nice job on the setup, if you want it alittle louder go with a metal piece of pipe like some of the tuners have done with the 1g BOV, gives a really nice tone and makes it quite a bit louder.

hey, ive a RFL and want to recirculate it. What size couplers did you use? and what size pipe is that?

Thanks

good job.
Personaly i would just have un-screwed the "horn" and threaded some hard pipe directly into it.

I wonder how it would sound if you drilled a small hole into the white pipe. You would still be recirculating most of the pressure and have a little bit more of noise going on.
:confused:

it would pry be a really annoying wistle that NOBODY could stand.

Devicex said:
How would you stop this from pulling in unfiltered and unmetered air?

Good point, maybe a small hole in the rubber above where the BOV dumps, but regardless I think it would probably sound like a weezing cancer patient, just a thought though.

n0c7 said:
Good point, maybe a small hole in the rubber above where the BOV dumps, but regardless I think it would probably sound like a weezing cancer patient, just a thought though.

OK first off your an Idiot. Your comparing a BOV idea to somebody with a terminal disease. Honestly thats the stupided thing I have heard somebody say online in a while. Obviously you don't know anybody who has had cancer or you would never say such a thing. Quite honestly this is the shit that makes me want to sell my car and buy something more expensive that kids can't own. Maybe it's time for an STI or EVO. What the hell has happened to the dsm community anyway?

Second it doesn't matter where you put the hole, it's gonna pull air in. How is putting a hole in the white pipe different from the rubber? It's still going to pull air in. You can't simply drill holes in thing.

:mad: honestly, what a ####ing moron.

n0c7 said:

that would completely defeat the purpose of recirculating it in the first place as well as making the situation worse by CONSTANTLY pulling in unmetered air. sorry for everyone that has pm'd me wanting pics, im getting to it. my cars in 1000 peices right now so pics woudlnt do too much good.

thanks

eric

Hondahunter_666 said:
Just wondering, how loud is it even with it recirc'd?

its not very loud, honestly it sounds more like my friends type s than anything. it is still quite noticible when you blow off.

Hello DSMJim,

From what I understand and have read, you found my analogy quite offensive. First off, my intentions were not to offend you or anyone else. At the time it was the best example I could come up with of what it would sound like. Unfortunately I have had a couple of relatives pass away because of cancer as well as have an aunt at the current time battling it aswell. My post was not meant to harm or to be disrespectful to anyone with an illness as serious as cancer.

I did not realize that with a hole poked into the tube that unfiltered and unmetered air would be brought into the intake. This is why I asked in the first place. I am not a mechanic, just a hobbyist like the majority of us on here. We learn from asking questions and making mistakes.

As for your comment of selling your car because of the mentality of the owners, I think that is an unrealistic and false judgement on your behalf. Yes I agree that there are some young "punks" who own a DSM. Most of these people paint their airvents a funky color and put an aluminum wing on because thats all their budget allows. As for the rest of us, we all know how expensive this hobby(especially with DSMs) can be. My 95 GS-T has near $60,000 CDN into it including the price of bringing the car here from the states and it is still nowhere near complete. With that kind of money spent, I could have easily bought an STI, EVO, Escalade, whatever. The DSM community is still strong, this board itself is the perfect example.

I've been a member on here for almost a year. I have 209 posts and I have always tried to be as informative as possible and try my best to help other members. I think its indignant that you had to resort to calling me an "idiot" and leaving me a negative feedback titled "moron" based on 1 post that you found half-witted.

I'm not asking for any sort of apology or trying to make this issue right, I'm just attempting to clear some of the hot air. If I have offended anyone else I give my sincere apologies to you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back