The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

what supporting mods for 2g head on a 6 bolt block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmanIV

15+ Year Contributor
May 27, 2004
San Diego, California
Hey there all. I am want a 2G ported head installed onto a 6 bolt shortblock. get best of both worlds. I dont want to go racing at the track I just want a motor that has good reliability. I have never heard of anyone having any problems with the 2G head only the 2G block (crank walk). View my post to see my current mods. I also have a 1G throttle body and a 2G intake ready to bolt onto the existing motor. Next mod I plan on doing is a 190 fuel pump, exhaust system (rnr right down the street) 3in full with high flow cat, ported exhaust manifold, ported O2 housing, MBC.
like I said before I dont want to go to the track, have to keep it smog legal, and want something that has more GO.

ZmanIV said:
Hey there all. I am want a 2G ported head installed onto a 6 bolt shortblock. get best of both worlds. I dont want to go racing at the track I just want a motor that has good reliability. I have never heard of anyone having any problems with the 2G head only the 2G block (crank walk). View my post to see my current mods. I also have a 1G throttle body and a 2G intake ready to bolt onto the existing motor. Next mod I plan on doing is a 190 fuel pump, exhaust system (rnr right down the street) 3in full with high flow cat, ported exhaust manifold, ported O2 housing, MBC.
like I said before I dont want to go to the track, have to keep it smog legal, and want something that has more GO.

So what exactly is your question? You can use either head with that block, however a 1g head will provide you with a tad more power if you leave them both untouched. A 2g head also needs to be drilled out for the larger headstuds.

My question is what other supporting mods would I have to do to make the most out of this set up.
cams stock or other, injectors if so what size, (remember smog legal) upgraded turbo,
I just want a potent street machine I used to have a motorcycle and after my accident I miss having all that power instantly.
Thanks, Martin

The 2G head is quite similar to the 1g with small exceptions here and there... the runners are a little smaller which increases the velocity/flow but won't flow quite as much at the top end.... as such, you don't really have to do any mods you wouldn't be doing to the 1G as far as injectors, cams, turbo, etc. goes... it really depends on your goals.

The best supporting mod for a 6 bolt block is a 1g head, they flow more stock and even more ported, they already have room for oversized studs (if you really want) and the cams themselves, in stock form are an improvement over 2g. So that's what I would do if I were you.

I'm not going to get into the 1g vs 2g head thing. It's been debated to death.
Your ported 2g head will work just fine for what you want. You will never out flow it anyway. Look at some of the times cars with 2g heads have done. Ever notice that the newer EVO's heads have almost the exact port size at the 2g's(except the injectors are now in the intake mani).
Most(not all) people that comment on it have no self experience with it. They just talk about what they've heard.
No worries with the 2g head.

Robster said:
The best supporting mod for a 6 bolt block is a 1g head, they flow more stock and even more ported, they already have room for oversized studs (if you really want) .....

The 1g head has nothing to do with "oversized studs". When 1fast97gsx was talking about drilling out the 2g stud holes to fit the larger studs, he was talking about the 1g studs. The 2g studs are smaller than the 1g's. The 1g's aren't oversized, they're just the standard size for the 1g. Just to clear up any confusion.

As FireyIce01 stated. The upgrade path will be the same with your motor as any build up.
Just follow it but add a high flow cat to the mix if you're worried about smog

Just some things to use for the swap:

Your going to need to reuse the 2g water pipe that runs across the block, if you get a 90 oil filter housing you will have to block of the return and feed lines for the water cooler in the filter housing. 91-92 will work just fine with the stock lines. You will need all 1g timing accessories, your 2g engine mount bracket, 2g power steering bracket and alternater bracket. You can use your 2g AC bracket also. You'll need a 6 bolt flex/kiggly plate for your torque converter.... ( http://www.importperformancetrans.com ) has them and a 6 bolt starter plate which all comes in one kit for like $285 shipped I believe. You will also need to drill out the 2g head for the 12mm head studs (as stated before). 1g cam angle sensor because the 6 bolt block doesnt have a crank sensor anymore you have to use the cam sensor to relay both signals now (cam and crank).

You will find that most of the stuff on your car right now will bolt up and be necessary to use with a 6 bolt block and 2g head swap.

Now when you are asking what are the best mods to get the most out of this set up... There are so many options here! My suggestion is get a Big T28 or a 16g (does matter which one, whatever fits your budget, Evo III 16g is your best bet power for money wise in my opinion) just because either one of those turbos are probably the best street turbos for the fact that they have a fast spool, easy to tune, and dont need many supporting mods to run. Along with the pump you have, some 550cc injectors, an S-AFC, and a logger and you have your self a nice street car that with some good tuning could easily be in the low 13s or high 12s. All that will hold up fine on the stock side mount intercooler. Intercooler piping would be a good thing to buy just because the stock piping sucks so much! But everything should be just fine and when and if you want to get a front mount intercooler you will be all set for one!

Good luck and hope that helps with your swap.

Jake

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back