The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Start of my 6bolt JDM swap and auto to manual swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellotbone

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 15, 2003
Well here starts my Swap I have started already but, haven't gotten to anything juicy yet. I have only pulled the motor from my car at this point. If you can't do that part on your own there is no help for you doing the swap. I have everything which I need to do the swap right now I purchased a donor car for the trans and have it off being rebuilt right now. I am taking my JDM home from work tonight to start swapping sensors etc and will try to document best I can what needs to be done for the prep. I also am going to do a timing belt etc before it goes in.

Attachments

• Resize of JDM1.jpg
    Resize of JDM1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 6,279
One more for now I will get into the details monday where I start the heavy stuff!

Attachments

• Resize of JDM3.jpg
    Resize of JDM3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6,202
Congrats on the 6bolt and welcome to the club. Its definately a pretty straightfoward swap as long as you've done your homework. :thumb:

Homework whats that? UH OH! No Im pretty confident right now everything is starting to come togeather. I will keep this updated with problems etc triumphs until finished.

Well I started swapping engine components last night and well I have to do some reading about the waternecks and such. There is no way the 7bolt water neck is bolting up to the 6bolt head they aren't even close any pointers?

I did the auto to manual swap on my VW. You're gonna have to rig up something in order to get the reverse lights to work because right now the switch is in the shifter while on a manual trans the switch is usually right on the trans. Also, you're gonna have to bypass the neutral safety switch. The switch that doesn't let you start the car unless you are in neutral or park. Good luck! :thumb:

Thanks Man Im good with that stuff its more the wiring that has me.

Here is a shot of my car on the hoist Im starting to put togeater notes for anyone wanting to do this swap. This is in my garage at my house.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of Picture 002.jpg
    Resize of Resize of Picture 002.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 6,091
The battered and bruised 7 bolt before I started removing to much.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of Picture 003.jpg
    Resize of Resize of Picture 003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 5,997
The Empty Engine bay.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of Picture 004.jpg
    Resize of Resize of Picture 004.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 5,968
Here is a pic of my 6bolt with the Valave cover off motor courtesy of DSMJIM.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of Picture 005.jpg
    Resize of Resize of Picture 005.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 5,939
Timing belt cover off before I started removing stuff.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of Picture 006.jpg
    Resize of Resize of Picture 006.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 5,894
These two are of my oil filter housing. My 7bolt one won't fit I thought it might but no way. So now I have this 6botl one to make work. Do I need to run an oil cooler with this? Also where do I put the sensors from the 7bolt once since there are no portsin the 6bolt?

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of Picture 007.jpg
    Resize of Resize of Picture 007.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 5,849
  • Resize of Resize of Picture 008.jpg
    Resize of Resize of Picture 008.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 5,821
hellotbone said:
These two are of my oil filter housing. My 7bolt one won't fit I thought it might but no way. So now I have this 6botl one to make work. Do I need to run an oil cooler with this? Also where do I put the sensors from the 7bolt once since there are no portsin the 6bolt?

You either need to find a 90 turbo t/e/l and get the fm oil cooler from it and mock up a bracket for it, which is what i did. or you can go through with the pain of swapping a 91-94 turbo t/e/l water cooled oil filter housing. When i used the jdm oil filter housing there was no where to thread in the oil pressure sending unit for the factory gauge w/o a " custom " brass fitting, its a few bucks from ace, not to bad.

Thanks man appreciate the info guess Im installing an oil cooler. Anyone know if I can use the tranny cooler that I gutted when removing my auto trans? If I get some fittings can't I just use it and install the pressure sender inline?

SIDE NOTE

I got the useless 2 vac line TB on my JDM motor anyone know where there is a 4 vac line TB complete I can purchase?

Ok.. let me try and remember what I did..

First off let me say that I used an electrical oil pressure gauge and electrical temp gauge. both gauges are Autometer Sport Comps.

The oil pressure gauge uses an 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Threading) sender and the oil temp gauge used a 3/8" NPT sender.

I know in a lot of posts, on different sites/groups, people say that the sender units will fit into the oil housing threads just fine. Well kinda... since our cars uses metric threads throughout, they are not setup to accomodate the NPT threading. If you try really hard, I am sure that you can FORCE it to fit. I did not want to take that chance so here is what I did:

Oil Pressure Gauge:
I put that gauge in the same spot as the stock one. You will know it is the right one because it is the only small threaded hole on the housing. I took a 1/8" NPT tap and tapped that hole to accomodate the Autometer threading. See comments below for install.

Oil Temp Gauge:
I used the hole right next to the one I used for the pressure gauge. This time I used a 3/8" NPT tap and tapped that hole. I put some Teflon paste on the snder and in it went.

Some words of advice...

Use teflon paste on all threaded fittings.

I could not find a 3/8" NPT tap at any store near my house. I had to order it from the internet.

I had a shop vac handy to suck up all the metal shavings from the tapping process.

Some people like to put the oil temp gauge in the oil pan. Mine was already attached to the engine and I did not want to go through the hassle of taking it off so I put it on the oil filter housing.

The electrical oil pressure gauge sender is fairly large. It makes installing the oil temp sender next to it nearly impossible. To fix this I went to Home Depot and purchased the following:
1/8" NPT male threading (about 1" long)
1/8" NPT 90 elbow (femal on both ends)
I put the 1" male threading in one end of the 90 degree fitting and put that on the oil filter housing. I tightened it to the point where the ohter opening of the 90 degree fitting was facing the ground. I then threaded the electrical oil pressure sender into the open end of the 90 degree fitting. Remeber use Teflon paste to avoid leaks.

I hope this helps. I will try and get some pics soon.

Demetri

The housing that is not setup for water cooler is setup for an external oil cooler. You need to get yourself some "M16x1.5 to -8AN" or "M16x1.5 to -6AN" fittings depending on the size line you are going to use to and from your oil cooler.

I used the -8AN fittings. Here is a link to the Earl's fittings I used: http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/EPP/EPPA/9919BFAERL.html

I used Earl's Perform-O-Flex -8AN hose as well.

I used a Setrab oil cooler (Part Number 125-8) from Baker Precision:
http://www.bakerprecision.com/setrab.htm

Hope this helps too.

Demetri

What a dream garage, I am jealous of you! Is that that superbly new-looking clean motor that jim was going to use on his?

ITSME4G63 said:
What a dream garage, I am jealous of you! Is that that superbly new-looking clean motor that jim was going to use on his?

Nope thats its brother! They both came the same day He ordered one for each of us! Nice engines eh???

Demetri thank you for your info I will definately be doing it that way but I may adapt the stock sensors. I plan on using the oil cooler from my auto trans that I won't be using with the manual swap. Im feeling pretty good about this now.
Jim was over last night and gave me a few pointers I am trying to take pictures as I go so that everyone can follow along and make this a Vfaq with pics instead of just text should be interesting what the outcome is like. Triumph or failier :D

I have a couple of questions now.

will a 2g oil preasure switch fit and work in the 6 bolt oil filter housing?

why is it hard to swap over the 91-94 oil cooler set-up?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back