The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

H.I.Ds on a 1Ga *pics*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4geze63

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2003
edmonton, Alberta_Canada
I havent really seen any1 with this done, heres some pics,

White LED corner bulbs accent the headlights great, kind like mini H.i.ds
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

H4 housing

Just like a beamer, exept it s aDSM and 10x better :p

Headlights down

mic shot to use the last photo

Post 18 explains them
http://dsmtuner.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140371

Its an hid conversion kit. H4 housing, its great cause it is same size as OEM housing but has a pull out bulb and not combined into one unit like stock, you have to get new wiring to accept the new outlet for your new lightbulbs.

Withsome kits I guess you cant use high/low beam, on mine I can but it doesl cost more.
they were $579.99 http://www.coolbulbs.com/HIDKits_body.asp.

although buying the parts individually you could prolly do it for $200, may not come out asgood as an actuall kit tho

4geze63 said:
although buying the parts individually you could prolly do it for $200, may not come out asgood as an actuall kit tho

*cough* BS *caugh*

Blinded by the light....

If you like them thats fine with me. Please don't post inacurate info though.

for a person who knows what they are doing they can do the wiring themselfs, and buying the parts individually would prolly not render the same results, but close enough to to actuall thing.

i never did it myself, i just figured it would be around $200

Im ever so sry for posting inaccurate info :rolleyes:

But "close enough" blinds on coming traffic and doesn't give the same light output as the real thing. These kits also pissed off the DOT enough to have them band from the market.

Omega said:
But "close enough" blinds on coming traffic and doesn't give the same light output as the real thing. These kits also pissed off the DOT enough to have them band from the market.

+1

their actions where understandable. SUVs and Trucks are a pain in the ass as it is.

those are a cheap alternitive tho, are they reallt that bad in the rain?

They're really that bad, period. Tinting of a regular halogen or incandescent bulb will deprive the light of lumens and won't light up the road as well. True HID kits are more like a florescent light shined out across the road; you'll notice with these kits the light is more evenly dispersed across the beam pattern. I have a 9006 6000k HID kit in the stock bulb housings and I'm very surprised at how well they perform above the stockers (at $400, they better). I love them, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can see very well down the road and even in the rain. The only time it's a pain, is in the fog, in which case I just use my fog lights.

You're gonna call BS on somebody who has done something you have no experience doing??? Sounds like its not your call, is it...

$200 is a pretty low estimate though. Most HID's go for more than that already and then you'll need to pick up the housings and some sort of adapter/shield for it. 4geze63, do you have any pics of the beam pattern?

Omega said:

Mine are aimed right, so they don't blind traffic. Also, they light up the road just as well as an Acura or Navigator with factory HIDs, believe me, I've compared.

ill get some picks asap, im pretty sick right now, so when im better ill get em

AWD4g63 and 4geze63:

Did you guys just put the xenon HID bulbs in your stock H3/H4 housing?

If you do not use a projector housing, you will not have any resemblance to a "real" HID system. I don't care how similar the beam pattern looks, you are still going to be blinding oncoming traffic. The big bad systems in bimmers and stuff have auto-level systems and all the special junk.
I tried to install a kit one time. It had little reflectors that sat on top of the bulb and it was supposed to work in your stock housings. They still had an incorrect beam pattern.

point being, you Must have projector housings for the beam to be "true" to other HID's. simply installing the ballasts and putting the HID bulb into your stock housing will not do the trick.

no because the stock hosuing doesnt accept bulbs, the light is in the housing, the wiring needed to be converted to accept the new bulb pattern.

It's not necessary to use a projector with HID's. There are also factory reflector housings with HID's (Mercedes and Nissan/Infiniti). Using HID's in a housing not designed for them can get ugly though. In my experience I've had very good results with HID's in H4 and 9006 housings (sharp flat cutoff, even light distribution). Not to say you can just toss a bulb in there and expect it to work right. The bulbs do need a shield to block out the high beam portion of the housing in a H4 lense though, and in both applications the bulbs needed to be mounted at the right depth.

pinknuggit said:
AWD4g63 and 4geze63:
Did you guys just put the xenon HID bulbs in your stock H3/H4 housing?

My car has 9006 style bulbs. I bought a 9006 style kit, therefore, it fits exactly like the stock bulbs, minus the wiring.

pinknuggit said:
If you do not use a projector housing, you will not have any resemblance to a "real" HID system. I don't care how similar the beam pattern looks, you are still going to be blinding oncoming traffic. The big bad systems in bimmers and stuff have auto-level systems and all the special junk.
I tried to install a kit one time. It had little reflectors that sat on top of the bulb and it was supposed to work in your stock housings. They still had an incorrect beam pattern.

Not necessarily.

My beam pattern is exactly the same as it was the day before I put my HIDs in. There's no change whatsoever in the pattern itself, just the intensity and color of the light. My lights are aimed properly and as level as needed, so there's no drivers going down the road flashing me. Even on my motorcycle, if I pass my car on a dark road with the lights on, I can see just fine and the light doesn't bother me any more than any other car. They're aimed properly, the beam pattern is the same as factory, and you'd have to be a completely jaded prick to flash me from oncoming traffic.

pinknuggit said:
point being, you Must have projector housings for the beam to be "true" to other HID's. simply installing the ballasts and putting the HID bulb into your stock housing will not do the trick.

Wrong; all of the Acura CLs, TLs, & RLs don't use projectors with their HIDs (provided they're even optioned with HIDs). Neither do the Lexus GS, LS, IS, the Lincoln Navigator, Mark VIII, none of the Mercedes cars; want me to continue? There's plenty of cars out there that don't use projector headlights with their HIDs. Not having projectors are perfectly fine. Some cars that DO come with projectors don't even have HIDs, like the new Miata and MR2 Spyder, not to mention the Saturn Ion with polarized lenses.

4geze63 said:
no because the stock hosuing doesnt accept bulbs, the light is in the housing, the wiring needed to be converted to accept the new bulb pattern.

You mean the wiring pattern. The bulb pattern is the same as a stock bulb, meaning it sits in the same absolute position inside the headlight housing as a factory bulb. The only thing you have to change on an HID kit is the wiring, and that's only some kits. Some kits are straight plug-n-play.

so half of the cars which come with HID's don't use projectors (my bad on the mercedes). But their housings were designed for HID's. A 1999 mitsubishi eclipse housing is not made for HID's, a 1996 Eagle talon housing isn't either, a 1992 mitsubishi eclipse headlamp housing was not designed for a HID bulb ,and lastly, the 9004 conversion housings for a 1991 talon are not made for HID bulbs. Projector housings and housings equipped with HID' are. Halogen housings and HID projectors/housings have a totally different beam pattern.

It's like me saying that i filled my engine with WD40 instead of oil. Sure the engine will run, but it's not the right way to do things.

Still, I would never Ever use my stock housings for an HID bulb. I would not install HID's on any of my customer's cars either. It's bad practice, and it's also illegal to have HID's on your car if your model did not come with them from the factory(look it up). I sent my CATZ hi/lo kit in for recall whenever they passed the law banning aftermarket sales of HID's, so CATZ kept my lights and could not give me a refund because I did not buy my kit from a dealer.

Read me!
If you want HID's in your 1GB, you will need to retrofit them like this!!!

But then again, what do I know...

pinknuggit said:
so half of the cars which come with HID's don't use projectors (my bad on the mercedes). But their housings were designed for HID's. A 1999 mitsubishi eclipse housing is not made for HID's, a 1996 Eagle talon housing isn't either, a 1992 mitsubishi eclipse headlamp housing was not designed for a HID bulb ,and lastly, the 9004 conversion housings for a 1991 talon are not made for HID bulbs. Projector housings and housings equipped with HID' are. Halogen housings and HID projectors/housings have a totally different beam pattern.

Not exactly. Let's say you have an Acura RL 3.5 and an Acura RL 2.5. They both have the same headlight housing, but one has HIDs, one doesn't. If HIDs required different housings, they wouldn't do this, especially going from HIDs to standard halogen bulbs. There's nothing different between a halogen bulb housing and an HID housing, technologically speaking. I guarantee that if my Eagle Talon came with HIDs way back in '93, inside the headlight housing wouldn't be any different. The lens may be cleared, if anything.

pinknuggit said:
It's like me saying that i filled my engine with WD40 instead of oil. Sure the engine will run, but it's not the right way to do things.

Again, not exactly. You're comparing apples to bricks. It would be more like an analogy between regular oil and synthetic oil. The HID being the synthetic and a halogen bulb being regular oil, inasmuch as the HID & synthetic being a purer, more efficient light/oil.

pinknuggit said:
Still, I would never Ever use my stock housings for an HID bulb. I would not install HID's on any of my customer's cars either. It's bad practice,

I wouldn't let you.

pinknuggit said:
and it's also illegal to have HID's on your car if your model did not come with them from the factory(look it up). I sent my CATZ hi/lo kit in for recall whenever they passed the law banning aftermarket sales of HID's, so CATZ kept my lights and could not give me a refund because I did not buy my kit from a dealer.

Selling individual DOT-compliant HID capsules isn't illegal.

pinknuggit said:
If you want HID's in your 1GB, you will need to retrofit them like this!!!

No, you won't. Mine have worked great for years now. That's just another asshole on the internet spreading the common virus of misinformation.

pinknuggit said:
But then again, what do I know...

I pose the same question.

The light housings actually are different on cars that have HID's as an option. The housings are designed differently to make full use of the type of bulb in them, as HID's and halogens are not the same. However, I will say that I am satisfied with the results that I have with HID's in my Talon as well as my Nissan Altima. My friends and I swap cars once in a while and and I've seen first hand that they do not glare - they look just like any other car with OEM HID's. The light pattern from my Hella lenses is very good and distributes the light very evenly across the road. For comparison purposes when I was installing my lights, I put a Hella housing with HID next to one with a H4 and the beam patterns projected on my garage 6 feet away looked identical. Only difference was the HID one was much brighter.

pinknuggit Is correct, the halogen housings are different from the xennon. It is true that you don't have to use a projector style housing, but for the correct beam pattern you must use a housing specificly designed for xennon. It's not a matter of technology, its' optics

I fail to see how demonstrating a light source against a target 6' away shows anything useful. Last time I drive, I was looking at objects a shit load further than 6' away from my car!

You are correct in that selling DOT approved capsuals is not illegal. You are not alowed to change the lights in any car, any year end of story. So. Selling the HID kits is illegal and therefore they were taken off the market. Even if you take an existing xennon headlight assy and graft it onto your car, it is NOT street legal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back