The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

factory big brake upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotT0Male

Probationary Member
Jan 22, 2003
SD_CA
i searched, not for an enormous amount of time, but long enough to still not find my exact question answered.

when doing the 2g factory big brake upgrade, are dual piston calipers THAT much better than the single piston calipers with performance brake pads and slotted rotors? also in what ways they would be better and how much better they would be. thanks!

I'll try to help you on this one.

To be honest; Yes. And no.

The mystery surrounding the later twin piston caliper is greater than it deserves. The twin piston caliper while having double the number of pistons has the same (ok, verrrrrry nearly the same) piston area. That means that this caliper generates the same clamp load as the single piston.

Keep in mind I'm speaking CALIPER here, not taking into account any rotor or pad change.

Piston area being the same, the q becomes; why one over the other? Same reason that a six has some advantages over a four. Area being the same, a pistons applie more equal pressure to the pad when said pressure is spread out more. On a single operating at high pressure the pad becomes a banana. The twin helps to prevent this. A six (three per side) more yet.

Some numbers; with the same pad Cf on the same rotor, both will provide the same 'stopping power'. What is often overlooked and hyped as "man these stock BBK parts are soooo much better" is that in the same course of action the owner replaced his parts (crappy old junk) with not only the new caliper, but new pads, maybe hoses, fresh fluid, and maybe even some new rotors. OF COURSE its going to be better! Better be!

So, to answer your question you must first understand that replacing them for some real world value will most likely require some additonal items for maximum value.

so in other words what youre saying the huge side affect that people feel with the brakes being so much better is because ALL the components were replaced with better ones, not just the calipers?

While it's not exaclty what I said, there ARE beneifits to be had, the caliper change will not transform you car to a race car if that's what you're lead to believe.

"are dual piston calipers THAT much better than the single piston"
This was the question and I believe I did a fair job of answering it.

"huge side affect "
You'll have to be very specific on what that means.

speaking from experience, i went from tiny weeny single piston extra small rotor for 90fwd, to dual piston large rotor upgrade (stock parts), i felt stronger braking power, so the car actually stops faster, and no fade when driven on the same road and similar speed, but the stock 90fwd brakes were the weakest of all...perhaps such the drastic improvement, but from what i've heard of friends who did the same upgrade, yet it's worth it!!

In your case you are correct. You took the twin pot 2G and put it on the 1G.

Not only is the piston smaller on the 1G but so too the MC.

The piston area of the single or the twin of the 2G would have netted you the same clamp loads however. (yes the twin IS the better choice) When fit to the 1G you have more piston area than before combined with the smaller 15/16mc for a very high pressure application.
Small bore = high pressure, more piston area = higher pressure at the pad. It's a win-win deal of sorts. Certainly compared to what you had.

But the move from single to twin on the 2G (assuming both running the 1" mc and not the smaller one) will be a lateral move in clamp loads. Thus I was advocating he consider the value of updating the other elements of the system for the best return.

I have a question and wondering can anyone help me on this ?
for a 90 fwd i have found out that my rear calipar is no good on bothside so i have to change the whole thing calipar,brake pad, rotor,and brake line . whats the best thing to do ? and if i do get the a bigger brake system would i have to purchase another size rim? and is the
Mitsubishi Factory Brake Upgrade good ? :dsm:

for a 90 fwd i have found out that my rear calipar is no good on bothside so i have to change the whole thing calipar,brake pad, rotor,and brake line . whats the best thing to do ? and if i do get the a bigger brake system would i have to purchase another size rim? and is the

If it's just the rears, replace it with stock. There is no sense spending extra money on something that only uses about 20% stopping power. The fronts on the other hand, are worthwhile to get the upgrade.

stalnout said:
No need to cross-post with a more-vague title, in a less-related forum there, rocket surgeon. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back