The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

how do you attach AN fittings to the end of stainless steel braided lines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse98GST

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 12, 2004
Florissant, Missouri
Im trying to make my own fuel lines and i want to us stainless steel braided line. I dont know how to attach the AN fittings to the end of an open line, can you guys either explain or show me pics on how to do this.

You need some sort of high speed cutting tool to cut it. I used a dremel with the cut off disks. Rap (one loop) the area to be cut with elecrical tape, brevents fraying.The cuts need to be square and clean. You then press on the female end and secure in a vise. Then put a slight drop of oil on the male end for easy assemble. The hardest part is forcing the hose into the female part with out un-braiding the end. DO NOT TRY TO CUT IT WITH A HACK SAW. Measure twice the shitz not cheap.

eclipse98GST said:
Im trying to make my own fuel lines and i want to us stainless steel braided line. I dont know how to attach the AN fittings to the end of an open line, can you guys either explain or show me pics on how to do this.

first off, when you cut the braided line, unless you have some specialized tool, a dremel with cutoff wheel works great. use some electrical tape and wrap it tightly around where your going to cut it so the line doesnt fray.

take off the sleeve part of the fitting with the female threads and slip it over the end of the hose...kinda tilt the fitting to put one side in easy first then smash the other side up into the end. make sure it doest have any of the braiding on the outside of the sleeve when you try and push it up or it will fray out..you'll know what im talking about once you start.

after that part is push all the way onto the hose, take the male end ftting and get it started into the hose/fitting you did in the last paragraph. onces its just started treading, put another piece of electrical tape right after the fitting on the braided hose with the sleeved female fitting on. this way you can tell if the hose is backing out.

then put the hose into the vice clamping the femaled sleeved end so it wont turn (not TOO tight, wrap a rag around it). with one hand tighten the male fitting, and with the other hand put upward pressure on the braided hose so it wont back out...periodicaly check the tape to make sure it isnt backing out..

thats about it..tighten the fitting till them are flush and your done..the hose shouldnt turn inside the fitting at all..it should be really tight.

this is for earls fittings, ive heard some are different but ive always used earls.

Don't use electrical tape, as it melts when you are cutting the hose. I use the aluminum foil tape that is used to seal joints in insulation. It is tough, doesn't melt and sticks like shit to a blanket. It can be found at any hardware store. Some use masking tape instead.

After you put the tape on put a small hose clamp on the side of the cut where the AN sleeve goes(not the side you are cutting off). Tighten the hose clamp down real good.

Now cut around the hose clamp with said Dremel cutoff wheel. Just cut through the steel braid then cut the rubber with a knife.

Now here's my proprietary technique! Take the hose with the hose clamp and put it in the freezer section of your refridgerator...yes, that's right, in your freezer! This shrinks and stiffens the hose so the sleeve slides right on.

When you think the hose is not going to get any colder take it out, remove the hose clamp(leave the tape), and slide the sleeve on.

Now, take your heat gun and heat up the hose end and sleeve. This will swell the hose into the barbs of the sleeve and also make it easier to get the swivel nipple into the hose.

While the hose and sleeve are still warm clamp them into a vise with non-marring jaws. Using the PROPER AN WRENCH screw the nipple into the hose(after applying lube to nipple). And your done!

For best results make sure you use the vise and AN wrench. Don't try to use regular open end wrenches.

Bunch of wusses :p ....

I've used a hacksaw lots of times to cut braided hose and install ends. Just use a new fine toothed blade and cut right in the middle of the electical tape. Works fine for me.

turbowop said:
Bunch of wusses :p ....

I've used a hacksaw lots of times to cut braided hose and install ends. Just use a new fine toothed blade and cut right in the middle of the electical tape. Works fine for me.

I'll second that one. Other than that it's pretty self-explanatory, even though sticking the fitting on the hose sometimes becomes a PITA. Sometimes I'll get lucky and other times I'll screw it all over and have to cut a little bit more off of the hose. Good luck.

I discovered a technique that I am kind of proud of, because it has saved me sooo much cussing.

I take a hose clamp and crank it down on the SS braied hose. The I use a dremel cut-off wheel and cut the hose and SS. Next I stick the end of the frays into the AN fitting. I push the hose in while releasing the hose clamp. You just have to make sure that all of the wires make it into the AN fitting. I never was able to get the electrical tape thing to work.

Good luck!

The method that I've used in the past seems to work really well-- get hoses that have the ends already on them. Depending on your specific application, though, finding the exact length may be a challenge.

Might I just add that assembling those things was a super PITA. The male part kept hooking on the end of the rubber line and pushing the thing out. I don't think i've spent so much time getting so angry at somethign so simple before...... :p

-Steve

Holy crap this is fun... I've cut the end four times already. I'll likely have to buy more pretty soon if I can't get this first hose end on. It seems like I have the wrong size fittings (even though they both say -6). The straight ends from Jegs aren't contoured as much to accept the hose end like the 90 degree bend fittings are. The inside wall of the female fittings have a little "step-up" that seems to stop the SS outer layer from making it into the smaller part of the fitting. And the inside of the female fitting is threaded - it really doesn't seem very possible to force it in. Maybe I should have just bought better fittings... and had more to drink :mad:

Ludachris,

To make a tuff job even tuffer, there's different fittings for teflon-braided and rubber-braided type AN hoses. Is there a possibility they're not matched correctly?

Just a thought.....

Ludachris you should be reading the Vfaq I made about the fittings here in the tech articles :p

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122618

Thats teflon SS for my clutch line. Hope it helps let me know I know a few guys in the hydrolics biz hope it works out man. Try to use a dremel cut off wheel to cut em and make sure you use electricle tape where you cut so you are cutting the tape and the line. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back