The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Carbon Fiber Drive Shafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplgsx

Probationary Member
Aug 11, 2002
Cary, North_Carolina
I did a search on the forums and have not found a thread devoted to this yet.

Those of us that have the AWD version of the TEL will likely think of a carbon fiber drive shaft as one of the last, if not, THE last mod we would put on our cars. For a couple of good reasons.

First, it is expensive! At least at first blush. Second, it is not clear just what there is to be gained for the size of the investment. Third, there are a lot of other mods that would give you a lot more power.

There have also been a few questions floating around about carbon fiber drive shafts that I don't think have been answered very well. I went out on the net and found a couple of suppliers. One on the west coast (ACPT, Inc.) and one on the east coast (PST) in Florida.

The guy on the east coast had built a few for testing. Usually with DSM drag cars with 600+ horsepower. While he had some failures it was never the carbon fiber drive shaft itself. He offers them for 300GT and Stealth, but seems to have shied away from the TEL's.

ACPT has built them for 1G TELs for a few years and the 2G TE's for the past couple of years. They offer them in two flavors. One replaces the first two drive shafts and the other replaces all three.

So what are the benefits and what are the problems?

The benefits are numerous. First is weight savings. I'm not sure, but I think the stock shafts with the carrier bearings and all weigh at least 80 pounds. This is rotating weight, too. Rotating weight that is robbing your expensive horsepower.
Second is strength. Tortional (twisting) strength is phenominal. And it has an almost perfect elastic memory. That means that it acts like a big shock absorber to the twisting torque and returns to its proper shape. Drag racers that have changed over to aluminum drive shafts will paint a straight line down their drive shafts when they are new so they can tell when they have twisted too much (candy caned) from stress. The carbon fiber shaft won't do this and it will weigh in at about 8-10 pounds!

So what about u-joint angles? Not a problem. Even with the model that replaces all three of the stock shafts the u-joint angle is kept well within limits.

But aren't the carbon fiber tubes fragile to a side impact? They cover the outside of the carbon fiber tube with tough fiberglass. Many Baja racers use the shafts without problems. If you drive over a rock that touches the shaft, that is a different story. While that might bend a metal shaft it will shatter the carbon fiber shaft. A bent metal shaft will rip your drivetrain apart. A shattered carbon fiber shaft will mearly "broom out" and clean your undercaraige while it disintergrates.

With all that information I decided to take the plunge and get a one piece replacement from ACPT. In about three weeks I should be installing it.

If anyone wants to know how it goes, let me know.

You can check out my car at DSMTuners (of course) and http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-jplgsx/

Jim:dsm:

The price part...

Yes I skipped that. I felt I was starting to sound like an advertizment already.

Price depends on who you get it from and what style replacement you opt for.

PST developed a one piece to replace the three piece that comes on the car for about $1300. BUT that was contingent on a group buy being set up.

ACPT has two styles. One option gets rid of the first two shafts for about $1300 and the other gets rid of all three for about $1900.

I keep using "about" because they would do it hundreds of dollars cheaper if there was a group buy of 5 to 10 buyers.

If $1900 sounds high, it is, but a couple of years ago the price was more like $2500. This mod should reduce parasitic power loss through the drive train and add another 5% to your hp to the wheels.

Originally posted by Morphius
hmmm..... I typed in carbon fiber driveshaft and found this thread:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14451&highlight=carbon+fiber+driveshaft

When carbon fiber fails it is catastrophic and sudden with no warning. It doesn't pop and snap like E-glass (fiberglass) will. E-glass will "broom out". Carbon fiber does not.

If anything is likely to fail, it is the bonded joints on each end of the shaft.

Post some pics after the install.
You did better with the search than I did. I'll have to work on that :D

In talking to both ACPT and PST they insist that if the carbon fiber dirve shaft fails it "brooms" and will not damage you and will likely just clean the underside of your car.

They cover the outside of the carbon fiber tube with fiberglass so that it is not prone to stone or road trash damage.

I guess I will find out when I actually get it and put it in.

Originally posted by jplgsx
In talking to both ACPT and PST they insist that if the carbon fiber dirve shaft fails it "brooms" and will not damage you and will likely just clean the underside of your car.

I wonder what their definition of "brooms" is. The E-glass will broom severly. The Carbon looks as though you just cut the parts. Like I said, I suspect you would fail the bonded metal inserts at the ends of the driveshaft.

Originally posted by jplgsx
They cover the outside of the carbon fiber tube with fiberglass so that it is not prone to stone or road trash damage.

That should be more than enough protection.

Here is a pic of a "broomed" fiberglass sample. Sorry, I've only got a black and white shot that's copied.

Attachments

• fiberglassfailure.jpg
    fiberglassfailure.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 919
I passed on some of the questions to the guy at ACPT. Here is some of what he said...

...the 2 piece driveshaft retails for $1100.00 not $1300.00. The reason our 1 piece is that much higher in price is due to the better grade materials we use to ensure that there will be no vibration issues at highway speeds. This is what makes the difference between ACPT and some of the other companies out there today. We also offer a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase, on labor and materials. This ensures that our customers will make their purchase with the highest confidence, and will be completely satisfied with our product.

Hope this answers some of those questions...

Peter Manekas
Product Engineer
ACPT, Inc.
800-799-7893
714-895-7766 - fax
www.acpt.com

stock driveshaft weighs in at 35lbs:thumb: with bearings and all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back