The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

anyone using GM syncromesh m/t fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed112

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2003
New_MexicoUS
My GST fwd manual tranny shifts hard......I heard through the grapevine that using GM syncromesh manual tranny fluid will greatly reduce the gear friction and allow for smooth shifting. It just sounds fishy putting GM fluid in a DSM!

Anyone using this stuff?

I've got it in two of my GSX's. Shifts great!!! But damm expensive.

However, you'll have to thank Defiant. He stumbled across the Penzoil syncromesh that is cheaper and meets the same specs as the GM version. (I speculate that penzoil makes the GM stuff given they know the spec.)

I found the GM brand for 9.95 a qt.....I thought that was decent. I called a local parts store and they quoted me 13.35 a qt for some junk that was supposed to be comparable to the GM stuff.

Originally posted by Morphius
I've got it in two of my GSX's. Shifts great!!! But damm expensive.

However, you'll have to thank Defiant. He stumbled across the Penzoil syncromesh that is cheaper and meets the same specs as the GM version. (I speculate that penzoil makes the GM stuff given they know the spec.)

Hey, I thought I was the one that pointed out Penzoil Synchromesh to defiant? haha :thumb: Good stuff, worked for me.

Originally posted by doodie
Hey, I thought I was the one that pointed out Penzoil Synchromesh to defiant? haha :thumb: Good stuff, worked for me.

Is there a specific auto parts store you are buying the penzoil brand at? Around here we only have NAPA and AUTOZONE neither has ever heard of syncroshift!......dammmmmnnnnn small towns!

Originally posted by Speed112
Is there a specific auto parts store you are buying the penzoil brand at? Around here we only have NAPA and AUTOZONE neither has ever heard of syncroshift!......dammmmmnnnnn small towns!

The ONLY place I find it is at Autozone for $5/qt. Its just as good as GM's. I emailed Pennzoil and they say its the same part # and everything.

Originally posted by doodie
Hey, I thought I was the one that pointed out Penzoil Synchromesh to defiant? haha Good stuff, worked for me.
That may be the case. He's the only one I see routinely pitching the stuff, so I assumed.

Originally posted by Speed112
Uhhh, yea. Autozone, 4.99/quart.

Originally posted by TurboSpoolinIns
I emailed Pennzoil and they say its the same part # and everything.
It's states on the bottle the GM specs it meets.

Originally posted by Defiant
Yes, I stole the info from someone else, I forget who. Besides, a successfully masquerading genius never reveals his sources.
:thumb:

Synchrosh*t is junk. Try Redline and you'll love it. I has the BG in my car for a few months, then switched to Redline and it shifted much nicer.

ive seen somewhere that redline cuts the life of your synchros and gives you better shifting, ive also seen that synchromesh/shift dosnt cut synchro life but still gives better shifting. So redline will not be seeing itself in my tranny, but pennzoil synchromesh will, i have 3 quarts getting ready to go in(4.99 a quart at local autozone), ill report on the difference if there is any and im hoping theres a good one :thumb:

Originally posted by TalonTSiDude
Synchrosh*t is junk. Try Redline and you'll love it. I has the BG in my car for a few months, then switched to Redline and it shifted much nicer.

Redline sucks no matter what you say Chris. Might as well put water in there. That's all it was.:thumbdown

finaly got my car back together and got the Penz synchromesh in it, OMG its all true, its like butter now. I thought it was going out but now its like new, i couldnt have asked for better results.:thumb:

Ugh I wasted my money on Redline MTL90, cost be 28 bucks and it didn't make any difference, I think I might try Pennzoil Syncromesh sometime soon.

what do you guys use on a brand new trans? I know when people change ther fluid they use Penzoil, or GM, but what about a brand new trans???????

I would run penzoil for like 3000 miles for the wear in period, then switch to a full synthetic like Royal purple synchromesh or a semi like GM..

I just changed mine this morning and used Pennzoil Syncromesh and the shifts are smooth and clean (even the flatshifts). I found it at O'Reilly for $4.99 qt.

Great stuff and I highly recommend it.

Working in the parts department of a GM dealership lets me get it *Cheap*

just had mechanic put this in today i havnt picked it up does it really work as well as everyone says?

ok i got the mechanic to put it in and it was 30 dollars and it shifts beautifully and very smooth like couldnt think of any other words

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back