The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Possible 96 TSI AWD Purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeroPGT

Probationary Member
Jul 8, 2002
Katonah_NY
Sup guys. I currently have a Probe GT.....

ProbeTalk

......but an opportunity has come up.

A girl I work with just told me about a problem with her 96 TSI AWD. Apparently it overheated. She said it even melted the coolant cap.OMG
She doesn't know to much about cars.....so I didn't bother asking too much. She is now planning on selling this car. It has only 70,000 miles on it and the body is in near perfect condition. She also told me that the engine wasn't turning over....(I'm not sure she knows exactly what I meant by the question)

Anyway....she already bought a civic :( and I'm interseted in fixing this car. I haven't seen it at all after the "overheating", so is there anything typical of DSMs that could have caused this??? I tried searching and found nothing......so help me out.

Could've been a whole slew of things. Failed water pump, bad thermostat, no coolant, etc etc. How much is she looking to get? Without looking at it or knowing what is wrong, it could be a lot of work to get her running again. I would give her no more than $2-3K for the car.

yeah....she told me about 2 grand for it as is. But what i really was wondering is if maybe there is a common problem in the DSMs somewhere that was never checked....like prone to bad thermostats or water pumps....??

No problems that I know of, but it is possible her waterpump or thermostat went bad. I know waterpump is not an item changed for a basic timing belt change and if it is bad and goes... bye bye engine.

You can buy a complete used engine for under $1000 (6 bolt or 7 bolt) and drop that in and you got a nice car for around $4000 ($3000 if you do the work yourself). Spend an additional $1000 and you can freshen the motor up to like new condition. That, or you can spend $3000 on a fully built race motor. :)

yeah....i was thinking of dropping in a new motor. I was just hoping it might be something else, but I'm pretty sure the engine is blown. Any good sites you know of to get the 4G63?

Thanks

There are a couple places, but I have never bought a used motor. perhaps someone with used motor purchasing experience can answer this one? In the meantime, I will ask my friend who has a shop where he gets his.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back