Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Frequently Answered DSM Questions > Newbie Thread Graveyard
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Thread Graveyard: Repetitive questions already answered in the FAQ Forum, Tech Articles, other New Member required reading, VFAQ.com, etc. This is a read-only forum. If your thread ends up here, you didn't do the required reading.

Closed Thread

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 184
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0

Will removing my Catalytic Converter mess up performance?

I'm thinking of taking my cat off but idk if the ecu will screw with the performance afterwards, will my car's ecu be fine without a cat?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points   
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1997 ford f250
Tech Posts: 6,315
Classifieds Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to bryanwheat
What is your reasoning for removing it? Do you have state mandated safety or emission inspections?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwheat View Post
What is your reasoning for removing it? Do you have state mandated safety or emission inspections?
Better flow/sound. We have no emissions tests here. Almost everyone has no cat has it hollowed

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 631
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 3
Removing the emission will not hurt the car at all but the environment. Yeah.., i said it. But, you could gain in performance a little from freeing up the back pressure. You could buy an high flow cat and be done with it. If you are still running a stock turbo i would not worry too much with removing the cat or replacing it with the high flow one.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1997 ford f250
Tech Posts: 6,315
Classifieds Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to bryanwheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointblank9957 View Post
Better flow/sound. We have no emissions tests here. Almost everyone has no cat has it hollowed
If you have a safety inspection than they will still look for a cat on the car. With your non turbo 2.4 you will not notice any gain removing it, perhaps even a slight loss of torque. I would just leave it alone.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 19
The ECU would be fine but like the others stated above, it might help or hurt the cars performance.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 40
Classifieds Rating: 6
Get a high flow metallic catalytic converter which flows just as much as not have a cat according to the test at importtuner.com. I run a magnaflow spun metallic cat and still pass emissions plus gain the extra flow.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1991 3000GT VR-4
Tech Posts: 3,079
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 7
Would it hurt anything? No, unless you consider a CEL a problem. And even that can be easily solved. Will it give you any performance gains? Again, no. When it comes to the 4g64, the biggest restriction when it comes to horsepower is the SOHC head. But swapping to a DOHC head would do nothing but kill low end torque (which is where the 4g64 shines) for a very minimal gain in top end power.

So in a nut-shell, it would be just for sound. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be a very minimal gain compared to a full exhaust system.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Car: 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT PP
Tech Posts: 8
I would just switch to a high flow cat and call it a day.

Visit KONEKILLER's homepage! 

Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Classifieds Rating: 2
keep in mind its federal law to have a cat. If you get pulled over and the cop wants to be a PITA he can write you for it...

Old 08-16-2012, 09:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,488
Photos: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY1100 View Post
keep in mind its federal law to have a cat. If you get pulled over and the cop wants to be a PITA he can write you for it...
State patrol do not have federal jurisdiction. They are sworn to uphold STATE laws. i don't know how many feds pull you over

Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansmoker1 View Post
State patrol do not have federal jurisdiction. They are sworn to uphold STATE laws. i don't know how many feds pull you over
All states are required by feaderal law to have state regulation regarding emisions, it varies state to state but one thing is for certain if the car came with a cat converter from the factory it must always have a cat converter on it..

Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WES_393 View Post
Would it hurt anything? No, unless you consider a CEL a problem. And even that can be easily solved. Will it give you any performance gains? Again, no. When it comes to the 4g64, the biggest restriction when it comes to horsepower is the SOHC head. But swapping to a DOHC head would do nothing but kill low end torque (which is where the 4g64 shines) for a very minimal gain in top end power.

So in a nut-shell, it would be just for sound. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be a very minimal gain compared to a full exhaust system.
my 64 doesnt have shit for torque, it lags a lot, i suspect dirty injectors, just seafoamed it yesterday

Quote:
i dont care. i can hollow out the cat and theyd never noticed the difference. up here the cops dont check anything. i mean watch this video and you'll know how lenient they are:

Lazy cop caught on camera - YouTube

Quote:
All states are required by feaderal law to have state regulation regarding emisions, it varies state to state but one thing is for certain if the car came with a cat converter from the factory it must always have a cat converter on it..
the cops dont care and we dont have inspections/checks or anything so i dont really care.

Last edited by pointblank9957; 08-16-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 40
If you really want to go cat less put on a high flow metallic cat and put a electric cutout on the downpipe before the cat if you ever want to open it you can with the push of a button . This is what i'm doing and it works well. I had this on my 2g n/t a few years back. Now on my 1ga talon tsi.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 115
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 5
Most likely just a CEL, you would gain some performance though.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,488
Photos: 9
Quote:
unless it's "antique" 1g guys are already there...

Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: Evo X GSR
Tech Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Feel free to post a link to either the federal law that forces states to have a cat rule (but don't let the Tea Party see the link, please) or to the Iowa regulation requiring a cat.

I'll wait.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Banned Member

Car: Bicycle
Tech Posts: 2,196
Photos: 4
Reputation: ramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthyramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ramsack
Police take an oath to uphold the Constitution. I don't see anything in there establishing an EPA and giving it any jurisdiction to create laws and prosecute people as criminals. States have the right to have their own DEPs, and those laws are actually enforceable.
Visit ramsack's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 472
Lol yeah. There is no way that is a state law. The police have no way of giving you a ticket for that. However they will give you a ticket for your exhaust being too loud even if it isn't. If they notice it is catless that is what they CAN and will do unless it is a nicer officer.

You can get it thrown out in court though if they don't have a decibel reading... which they won't lol.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Banned Member

Car: Bicycle
Tech Posts: 2,196
Reputation: ramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthyramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ramsack
It only needs to be there if your state requires it to be and you aren't exempt from emissions. It usually never falls under the scope of a safety inspection. A muffler does, though.
Visit ramsack's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Closed Thread