Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Frequently Answered DSM Questions > Newbie Thread Graveyard
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Thread Graveyard: Repetitive questions already answered in the FAQ Forum, Tech Articles, other New Member required reading, VFAQ.com, etc. This is a read-only forum. If your thread ends up here, you didn't do the required reading.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 08:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 58
Classifieds Rating: 0

intercooler setup with no turbo

I've been looking at getting a Front bumper from a turbo gst because i want to replace my Rs bumper. If i do get one, I want to fill the hole in the air vent with a intercooler. to give the impression of a turbo. But I know if i set it up to flow through my engine, there will be no benefits. unless having extra fluids is a pro, what do you think?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 126
Classifieds Rating: 6
Make it a turbo then there are some benefits...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal_RS_96 View Post
unless having extra fluids is a pro, what do you think?
Having extra fluids? huh?

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 38
Photos: 9
Pointless to have an intercooler if it isn't doing it's job. Is someone cooking rice?
View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 126
Classifieds Rating: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gst_racer View Post
Having extra fluids? huh?
I think he thinks an intercooler is like a radiator...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 156
Classifieds Rating: 2
Are you thinking stock side mount intercoolers have coolant in it? I think your better off backing away from the car right now and not modifying anything. If you want to look like you have a better car just buy a turbo wing and some gsx decals. You can buy a special edition gt-r badged mustang while your at it.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 176
Classifieds Rating: 26
Send a message via AIM to sax_man
Ecotec 1.4-liter Turbo Airflow Animation - How a Turbo Engine Works - Popular Mechanics

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 170
Classifieds Rating: 3
You can get intake piping and a filter that emulates the look of an intercooler...

But that's pretty lame

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Mitsubishi RWD 4G63 2G Eclipse
Tech Posts: 391
Photos: 40
I dont like to point out ricers who got no clue whatsoever about cars, but boy, you just made me laugh so hard...
Visit gabytech's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeck View Post
Are you thinking stock side mount intercoolers have coolant in it? I think your better off backing away from the car right now and not modifying anything. If you want to look like you have a better car just buy a turbo wing and some gsx decals. You can buy a special edition gt-r badged mustang while your at it.
lols, well im building as i go. Im hoping my buddy lets go of his garret turbo...but hes having too much fun with it, i plan on rebuilding a spare 2.0 block to run turbo. I know intercoolers dont hold coolant but just having a coolant can would be a much better idea.

And AWWW DOOOD! the Gt-r badged mustang was taking it toooooo far lol

Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 144
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 15
Send a message via AIM to beendenied Send a message via Yahoo to beendenied Send a message via Skype™ to beendenied
It's been a couple weeks since a good flame. But damn, is this a legitimate question

off of the facebook page of dsmtuners. hahahaha

Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Car: '95 SRT4, '96 ACR, '05 SXT Dodge Neons
Tech Posts: 0
Ugh, Why does it have to be a neon? Typically you see these on Honda's, not wanna-be SRT4s...

Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: AWD 90 Dodge Colt 4G63T
Tech Posts: 2,589
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: Colt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthyColt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthyColt4G63 also is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Apparently Popular Mechanics doesn't exactly know how a turbocharged engine works either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popular mechanics
"When no boost is required, like when a car is coasting, a wastegate opens to allow the exhaust gases to bypass the turbo."
Aren't they describing the senario when the BOV/bypass valve comes into play, not the wastegate?
The wastegate only opens when the system reaches full boost. It's what regulates maximum boost pressure.

Why don't they just say, "The magic snail makes it go faster!" and leave it at that. At least then they wouldn't be getting their facts wrong.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

HowStuffWorks "How Turbochargers Work"

Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 13.629 @ 99.970
Tech Posts: 1,036
Photos: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal_RS_96 View Post
I've been looking at getting a Front bumper from a turbo gst because i want to replace my Rs bumper
RS, GS, GS-T and GSX all have the same bumpers, there are no turbo bumpers. There are different bumpers on different years cars. The 95-96 have different bumpers than the 97-99.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 176
Classifieds Rating: 26
Send a message via AIM to sax_man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4G63 also View Post
Apparently Popular Mechanics doesn't exactly know how a turbocharged engine works either.

Aren't they describing the senario when the BOV/bypass valve comes into play, not the wastegate?
The wastegate only opens when the system reaches full boost. It's what regulates maximum boost pressure.

Why don't they just say, "The magic snail makes it go faster!" and leave it at that. At least then they wouldn't be getting their facts wrong.
Haha I posted that mainly because of the video in it. I didn't even read the article.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 614
Photos: 12
Just spend your money in something that will actually help the car.. maintenance!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

That pic needs to be a sticky since so many non turbo people think adding an intercooler does something

Last edited by sbeck; 10-05-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok. I learned my lesson. Dont leave the house with a friend over. I hope he isnt serious, but i would like a new bumper and to keep my eclipse n/a

Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 170
Classifieds Rating: 3
*cough* The good 'ol left my account open trick.