The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Valve cover crack.. Okay? or Not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWD98GST

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2003
San Diego, California
I was replacing my PCV valve and when at the last moment a piece of the valve cover cracked off... Attached is a picture of the crack and I re-installed the PCV valve and turned on the car and oil doesn't seem to seep out at all... Is this safe? Should I replace? Or should I be okay?

Thanks,

Ion

Attachments

• DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 401
it looks like its all good. if it doesnt leak oil or air then your all good. you muts have put that in there way to tight or something to crack that off.... :cool:

yah.. i guess i didn't line up the pcv valve nice and straight... but i think i should replace it just to be safe?? you think it won't leak oil if i put it really under boost?

drive it and see if it leaks at all. if you are really worried about it either A get a new cover, or B if you are never going to take that out of the cover again, JB weld it. you can go to a pick and pul and get a new valve cover for cheap.

FWD98GST said:
yah.. i guess i didn't line up the pcv valve nice and straight... but i think i should replace it just to be safe?? you think it won't leak oil if i put it really under boost?
Boost shouldn't significantly affect leakage from the valve cover, unless the engine's really tired.

If you're worried, just replace it, they're pretty cheap.

I had a small crack in my valve cover that leaked a little bit of oil and I just put some silicon sealer stuff I had lying around on it and it hasn't done it since. Since yours isn't leaking you should be fine...wouldn't hurt to put something on the crack though.

just go scrap yard and buy a new one i cracked mine to but ill wait till i get a little more money trust me just do it rite dont save one a few buck and might have a engine damamge just save up or find a scrap car selling for pieces give them like 20 bucks for it bring it home paint it and ## good to go

Yeah that crack right there wont be a problem. Thats if its the only place that its cracked.

Funny thing is i was replacing my pcv valve the other day, same exact thing happened to me. It cracked in the same place. Im gonna be picking up a new one soon, just cause mine is so corroded to the point its garbage. They crack easily.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back