The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

air bubbles in engine oil..big problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbofan

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2003
CaliforniaUS
I started routine maintenance on a '91 TSi AWD I just got. I know its got several issues and when I checked the oil level, the oil on the dipstick is full of air bubbles and the level was way below the cold mark. Any ideas on what kind of problem this would indicate?

The valve cover is leaking oil and I have put off replacing the gasket until I find out what would cause air bubbles in the engine oil.

if the valve cover is leaking it could be getting air in there, which could cause air in the oil. i would change the gasket and replace the oil. i would use royal purple synthetic 10w30 or mobil 1 synthetic 10w30.

hahaha "change the gasket and replace the oil"

i meant....replace the gasket and change the oil

i broke the serpantine belt the other day while driving on the highway and the car got hot before I had a good chance to stop. I fixed the belt, but afraid of damages i checked the coolant, oil, and around the engine for external leaks maybe from a blown gasket or warped head. I saw nothing till I looked at my oil, which had tiny air bubbles in it. I was told this could be water, but had someone look at it and they said it wasn't. Why is there air bubbles in my oil? Oh, the oil is between the full and add line on the dip stick, so there's not too much. Did I just burn it up when it got too hot, or is there a leak in the headgasket or something? I should have went with my instinct to not drive the car with a bad belt, but my father encouraged it after we fixed the clutch slave cylinder to see if we did it right. Thanks dad!:thumb:

i broke the serpantine belt the other day while driving on the highway and the car got hot before I had a good chance to stop. I fixed the belt, but afraid of damages i checked the coolant, oil, and around the engine for external leaks maybe from a blown gasket or warped head. I saw nothing till I looked at my oil, which had tiny air bubbles in it. I was told this could be water, but had someone look at it and they said it wasn't. Why is there air bubbles in my oil? Oh, the oil is between the full and add line on the dip stick, so there's not too much. Did I just burn it up when it got too hot, or is there a leak in the headgasket or something? I should have went with my instinct to not drive the car with a bad belt, but my father encouraged it after we fixed the clutch slave cylinder to see if we did it right.

Originally posted by Grinder5
i broke the serpantine belt the other day while driving on the highway and the car got hot before I had a good chance to stop. I fixed the belt, but afraid of damages i checked the coolant, oil, and around the engine for external leaks maybe from a blown gasket or warped head. I saw nothing till I looked at my oil, which had tiny air bubbles in it. I was told this could be water, but had someone look at it and they said it wasn't. Why is there air bubbles in my oil? Oh, the oil is between the full and add line on the dip stick, so there's not too much. Did I just burn it up when it got too hot, or is there a leak in the headgasket or something? I should have went with my instinct to not drive the car with a bad belt, but my father encouraged it after we fixed the clutch slave cylinder to see if we did it right.

sounds like a HG to me..blowing any smoke?..
sympton 1.air bubbles in oil,HG
sympton 2.car over heating,HG
sympton 3.burnt oil,HG

not saying that all these symptons will conclude you to believe its always a HG but altogether at once points in that direction my friend..more info needed though..any smoke?..low coolant?..:)

I dunno, didn't check for smoke. It has always burned about a quart of oil per 3K miles. also always lost a little coolant. SO, I duno.

someone in prob/diagnosis forum said it was the headgasket. If it's burin oil, white smoke in exhaust, losing coolant, air bubbles or water in oil it's the HG. I'm gonna go check for smoke. Man I hope it's not THAT!

I didn't have bubbles in my oil but the coolant overflow bottle looked as if it had one of those fish tank bubblers in it. Check to see if that is going on with your car. If so most likely its either the head or head gasket. Mine ended up being the gasket but still is costing me over $300 to fix because of the work I'm getting done to the head while its off. Good luck with the tare down to get to the head its not fun. I'm not saying its hard but its a lot of work still.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back