The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2GA engine in 2GB car, what route do I take?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac13

Proven Member
Apr 21, 2013
Warwick, New_York
So I've found lots of threads regarding the matter of swapping Cam position sensors. I'm a little lost and need some clarification. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, feel free to scold me (but please link me the thread!)

What I've got:
Bone stock 98 GST automatic shell
Bone stock 96 TSI AWD motor

I know the cam position sensors are different... But I'm confused, and the more I read the more complicated it gets.

The question:
What do I need, as far as cam/crank sensor(s), to put my 96 block into my 98 eclipse? Does the 98 have a separate cam position sensor and crank angle sensor, or is it one unit, like the 1G?

95-96 have the camshaft sensor on the driver side of the head behind the intake cam gear. 97-99 have the cam sensor on the passenger side of the head on the end of the intake cam. The crank sensor is the same, and in the same place between the 2. If you want to use the 2ga engine than you will either need to use the 2gb intake cam and sensor or wire the 2ga cam sensor into the 2gb plug. I would go the first route if i were you.

Thank you both so much! Issue resolved. I'm going to look for a 98 cam position sensor and cam now, or I might just drill and tap my cam appropriately if that's a safe method. Seems like the better route to go.

EDIT: Anybody got a part number?
Or is there a difference between these two?

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Parts - Mitsubishi Parts | OEM Mitsubishi Parts | Genuine Mitsubishi Parts
or
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Parts - Mitsubishi Parts | OEM Mitsubishi Parts | Genuine Mitsubishi Parts

You can drill and tap the cam, you just need to be absolutely sure that you keep the bit straight. There is already a hole there, it just needs to be enlarged.

Would anybody know what size tap I need? I guess I could just measure it with a caliper or something.
I have access to a drill press so that shouldn't really be a big deal to do. I just need to know the part number now.

Thanks guys. Now I've just got to find a complete CAS.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back